PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc 6700

newhtc6700user is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I need help some help with the kitchen.

First I'd like to say hello to everyone. I am new to this site, and I am actually getting my first HTC Apache tomorrow or Friday. I downloaded the kitchen BuildOS thing today so I could go ahead and start building my OS and have that done by the time it came in. The problem is (and this might not even be a problem) when i open up BuildOS, the only customization options I get are additional sounds, ringtones, and themes. I have looked everywhere and I can't seem to find any other options. I have run the updater and taken care of that, I just need to know where to go from here. I really was most interested in getting all of the basics like Office 2007, etc. as well as the feature that allows you to use touch flo like on the HTC Touch plus some other small things. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:49 PM
My ROMS On My Site
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Verizon

PDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIP
Re: I need help some help with the kitchen.

I don't understand what you're saying. Those are the only optionsin that catagorey. Watch the videos at the link in my signature. Might help you out.

If you enjoy my work or I have helped you out, and you want to send some love my way... it's appreciated but not required.

Last edited by PDAPhoneJunkie; 09-10-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible

gambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Just some friendly advise. Don't be in such a hurry to flash it. Read up on the process and some of the pitfalls. It will be much easier to troubleshoot if you can describe exactly the problem that you may have. Use the phone and get to know how it works. For example, you will get the mobile versions of Word. Excel, etc. with the Windows Mobile OS so you don't have to choose anything in the kitchen. There is alot of info here and ppl are ready to help but just don't dive off the deep end!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

newhtc6700user is a n00b

Haha, thanks for the advice! After thinking about it some more and looking at it all, I think I will be waiting on building my own OS. However, I do want to upgrade to WM6 so I will be able to use OneNote on my phone and put it on the computer. So, what would you advise doing in order to get just WM6? Does anyone know if the Apache is compatible with the WM6 update you can download on microsoft.com? Thanks a bunch for your help.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizion Wireless

shawn is a n00b

Best way is through the kitchen. Take gambatte's advice and learn the phone with the stock rom first. It won't take long. Then you can get the latest kitchen and build your custom WM6 rom with OneNote included. It's really is not that complicated and there are numerous tutorials on this site that will walk you though building and flashing your new rom. There are also a lot of very smart people who are more than willing to help.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker

gambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Sorry but WM is not the typical OS that can be updated like a PC, for example. WM is provided to the phone carriers, Sprint, VZW, et.al., who customize it to work on their networks. So the ROM updates are offered by your phone carrier. The 6700 is a rather old phone and not supported anymore in terms of updates by the carriers. But it is a very capable PPC and the kitchen makers (e.g. BuildOS) have breathed new life by allowing us to put WM6/6.1 on the 6700. So, since the 6/6.1 ROMs are not sanctioned by the phone companies, when you get your phone, you should activate it with the WM5 standard ROM for your carrier. Once you update to 6/6.1, you lose customer support at the carrier. But don't worry 'cuz most ppl on the site know a whole lot more about the 6700 than any rep. In short, a ROM is very device/carrier oriented, and you probably noticed that when you cooked your ROM in the kitchen (note the jargon we use, haha).

The 6.1 upgrade you saw on the Microsoft site was for Windows Mobile Office 6.1, not the OS. I know, kinda confusing. But you will get the hang of it.

BTW, did you get a PPC6700 (Sprint) or a XV6700 (VZW)?

Last edited by gambatte; 09-10-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhtc6700user View Post
First I'd like to say hello to everyone. I am new to this site, and I am actually getting my first HTC Apache tomorrow or Friday. I downloaded the kitchen BuildOS thing today so I could go ahead and start building my OS and have that done by the time it came in. The problem is (and this might not even be a problem) when i open up BuildOS, the only customization options I get are additional sounds, ringtones, and themes. I have looked everywhere and I can't seem to find any other options. I have run the updater and taken care of that, I just need to know where to go from here. I really was most interested in getting all of the basics like Office 2007, etc. as well as the feature that allows you to use touch flo like on the HTC Touch plus some other small things. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
This is caused by either not selecting a good selections.txt (we may have broken them over time) or not having ppcgeeks_oem.rar in the kitchens/ folder. We'll put out a new kitchen shortly that's much more current.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhtc6700user View Post
However, I do want to upgrade to WM6 so I will be able to use OneNote on my phone and put it on the computer.
Looking over the documentation for OneNote and didn't see any requirement for WM6:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/on...956221033.aspx
Old 09-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

newhtc6700user is a n00b

Thanks everyone for your help! I received my phone yesterday and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I also figured out my problem with the kitchen, gguruusa you were correct that I had not selected a selections when using the updater. Thanks again everyone for your assistance.
Oh and Gambette, I have the PPC6700 on the Cellular South network.

Also, I have started working on building my OS, and I have a question. Are there any options to select that are vital to the OS? I am getting lost in all of the options. Haha, once again, any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker

First check for your bootloader (BL) version. To do this you simply press the power button, the record button and the reset button at the same time. You will notice that the screen gets dark. If you take a small light or flashlight and look at the screen you will be able to see the word USB at the top of the screen. At the bottom of the screen you will see the version number. Example: 1.00, 1.02, 1.04, 2.02, 2.04 or 2.05. You will need to make a note of which version you have so that you can use it as the REV in the kitchen. To exit bootloader hit the reset button only. The BL also determines how big of a ROM you can cook (1.00 biggest to 2.05 smallest). No, you don't have to select any options in the kitchen for a viable OS. Another bit of advice is not to add any program that is updatable, e.g. Yahoo 2 Go! or Mobile Live Search. When they update, they install to storage memory anyway. Everything else is fair game but keep it small. Keep It Simple Stupid definitely applies here! If you don't get it right the first time, I hear you can flash up to 10000 times. LOL.

Last edited by gambatte; 09-13-2008 at 10:11 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development