PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 01:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint PPC-6700
Carrier: SprintPCS

sniffs is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Why does the new BuildOS need a username containing at least 5 letters?

Doesn't sound good? Sound's pretty damn suspicious to me.

Imagine if installing a Vista gadget required this? Or if you installed a Winamp addon or Firefox addon.. isn't this the least bit suspicious?

No offense, but there should be absolutely 0 reason why a login/password is being captured into a SQL DB to run a kitchen..

I can "maybe" see the login, so you can see who from PPCGEEKS or PPCKITCHEN is running the kitchen, but there shouldn't be a spot for a password.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Harrier, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue....
Carrier: Sprint

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
So in other words you are potentially harvesting our forum login credentials into a 3rd party database to which you could abuse...

Knowing some users they use the same name and password on more than one site.. This does not sound good to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
Doesn't sound good? Sound's pretty damn suspicious to me.

Imagine if installing a Vista gadget required this? Or if you installed a Winamp addon or Firefox addon.. isn't this the least bit suspicious?

No offense, but there should be absolutely 0 reason why a login/password is being captured into a SQL DB to run a kitchen..

I can "maybe" see the login, so you can see who from PPCGEEKS or PPCKITCHEN is running the kitchen, but there shouldn't be a spot for a password.
wow, where are the smoking men lurking in the shadows using ray beams to read your thoughts?

It was explicitly stated to not use your ppcgeeks.com password. We do not want to know that and have no reason to ask for it. We did, however, suggest using the same username so that we could identify people and issues they were having by comparing their login username to their nick in the forums or in chat.

With that said, the password is necessary to keep multiple users from using the same name. That is all. So, as we develop the tools to help people there is no confusion as to which user is using which username.

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa
There already are different levels of "authorization". Specifially, users are currently divided into "general user" and "special". Special is primarily devs. General User is divided into 2 sub categories, those who have donated, and everyone else. Donaters generally have the nag screen removed, some additional functionality, and access to advance releases of major BuildOS versions.
As stated before, if this is too much of a concern for you, feel free to leave the login and password fields blank.

If you have been helped by me or would like to support developers like Olipro, helmi_c, and others please feel free to Donate

ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO YOUR CARRIER'S OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND

Last edited by colonel; 03-28-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

sniffs is a n00b

I'm not worried that you are capturing this data.. I'm just trying to figure out WHY you're capturing this data.. Why should there be an authentication/authorization to build a kitchen? There weren't in any previous kitchen that I've used.. If this is to differenciate between devs/special/general users, why not make logins on the website with access to the files based on the login?

That's all I'm saying.. I'm still very interrested and very appreciative that this file was made available at the hard work of everyone involved, I'm just playing the devils advocate, you know?

EDIT: BTW, when leaving the Username/Password blank, a popup appears that says Username required and it must be 5 chars. Putting in a random username and leaving PW blank, another popup appears saying Password required and must be 5 chars.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

*sigh*

You clearly don't understand how authentication is performed. Not to say that it's perfect, because it isn't, but the general strategy is to encrypt your username/password, and compare that encrypted value to the encrypted value on the host system. The encryption is a one way process...that's why your original password can't be "provided" when you lose it. Furthermore, access to sensitive information, even though it's encrypted, is limited to as few people as possible - further limiting theft possibilities.

Username and password management is YOUR responsibility. The argument you supplied applies to every system you provide a username and password to. If you don't like someone potentially stealing your info and applying it to another machine, then don't use the same info on multiple machines. That's is fundamental security practice. Failure to properly manage your username and password combinations is not anyones fault but your own.

The bottom line: don't use it if you think it's unsafe.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

sniffs is a n00b

Of course, no one's arguing that fact.. I'm a Blackberry administrator, managing 4 BB servers, 1 attachment server and 2 Goodlink servers, I am all too familiar with security and IT policy..

I'm just asking WHY this info is being captured, as I stated prior, the other kitchen's I've used have not had this, so why now?
Old 03-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
I'm not worried that you are capturing this data.. I'm just trying to figure out WHY you're capturing this data..
..."capturing" - that's so misleading...

Quote:
Why should there be an authentication/authorization to build a kitchen? There weren't in any previous kitchen that I've used..
There still isn't. Feel free to use any of the other methods available.
Quote:
If this is to differenciate between devs/special/general users, why not make logins on the website with access to the files based on the login?
Because that way is impractical and doesn't provide the same level of flexibility.

Quote:
EDIT: BTW, when leaving the Username/Password blank, a popup appears that says Username required and it must be 5 chars. Putting in a random username and leaving PW blank, another popup appears saying Password required and must be 5 chars.
Yes. The comment was a joke.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

sniffs is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post

Because that way is impractical and doesn't provide the same level of flexibility.

That's all I was asking.. =)
Old 03-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Jeff Kirvin is becoming a great contributor

Anyone else find the "our way or the highway" attitude from G and the Colonel off-putting? I understand this is a free product and anyone not completely satisfied is welcome to a full refund, but given that they do accept donations, I think it rude and hostile to tell people who bring up perfectly valid complaints "If you don't like it, use something else."

As it happens, I'm taking their advice. As much as I like No2Chem's innovations, the "FU" attitude from the kitchen team has convinced me I'm better off using DCD's kitchen. He listens to his users and actually tries to help.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=376150
Old 03-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPRO
Carrier: Verizon

NexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Have fun and good luck Jeff and if you think you will get help on that avenue by all means GOOD LUCK.

The authentication login is there for a purpose just cause you are not utilizing it at this time does not mean there is no reason for it.

However as I said above GOOD LUCK WITH GETTING HELP, SUPPORT OR ANYTHING FOR THAT MATTER FROM THAT AVENUE.

ROM's
OEM's
CAB's

If something is password protected do not ask for the password as you will not get it. If you do not already know it you are not supposed to.

Remember to give thanks to those owed.......
no2chem - GGuruUSA - naigaman - Colonel - Tiermann - ImCoKeMan - helmi - dcd - luv2chill

Without all of whom none of this would be possible.

Donate to me!!!

Last edited by NexVision; 03-28-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPRO
Carrier: Verizon

NexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on repNexVision is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin View Post
I'm better off using DCD's kitchen. He listens to his users and actually tries to help.
Im sorry I just still cant stop laughing from reading this sentence..

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development