PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6700

jeffneely is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yikes! <22MB program memory!?

Wow, I never noticed my program memory that low before I got this replacement xv6700 and upgraded to WM6. I guess I should have expected WM6 to use more memory, but I haven't installed any external software yet and I'm already down to about 22MB of free program memory.

Now, I did check off a few extras in the ROM I cooked up, like Quick Launcher and the HTC Home plugin, but sheesh. Is this typical? How much free program memory do you guys see on a clean WM6 install? What are the big memory hogs I should look out for?

I usually install a LOT of software to my SD card and if any of those things have memory-resident components, I could be under 20MB before I launch an actual app!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2/TouchPro2
Carrier: T-Mo

reeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuff
Re: Yikes! <22MB program memory!?

Do you have any of the office apps. like word or anything. That takes up alot of space. I cook my rom with alot of stuff and I have about 45mb left to install programs. In fact I install all mine to main memory and I still have 21mb left right now.

If you want Ill send you my selections.txt file so you can check it out.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Ditch Doctor
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

GaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

The items you build into the rom don't use up memory if I am not mistaken. They use the memory alotted for the rom itself. Do you have a lot of email attachments? That is sometimes the culprit. Make sure you are saving them to your storage card. If you installed clear temp I suggest running it and see if that clears up some space. I checked mine when I saw your post and I was down to 13MB so I ran clear temp with no change. I performed a soft reset and now up to 22MB. I think I was around 30-35MB after a clean install. The programs you install post flash will use storage memory I believe. I think the program memory is the RAM your open programs are using. I could be totally wrong on this since my knowledge of memory is not that great.

Feel free to if choose to do so.
My ROM for Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, US Cellular and Cricket 20931 Base!!

The THANKS button is over there------------------------------------------------>

Last edited by GaMedic; 03-10-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jeffneely is a n00b

Yeah, I was talking about Program memory, not Storage. I'm down to 20-22MB of Program memory available on a clean (mostly) WM6 install, with no non-ROM software installed and zero data. I haven't synced anything over yet.

Some of what I built into my ROM is going to get loaded into RAM to execute upon startup. So, for me, things like the HTC Home plugin, Quick Launcher, etc... are running, so they are eating up some of my program memory, but I could swear I used to have closer to 30MB available prior to the WM6 upgrade. And I'm concerned because I still have a bunch of additional software I want to install and some of it too is going to load on startup (SPB Mobile Shell, Resco Keypoard Pro, etc...).

I fear there are some games that may not work if I fall under 20MB. I know there were a few that really like 16MB+ of memory...
Old 03-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2/TouchPro2
Carrier: T-Mo

reeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuff

Ga. Medic...your right I believe but it seems that if you have extra storage from rom (I know Im not saying that right) it goes into program storage.

It seems this way to me because I have cooked alot of roms for myself. A couple of months ago I was including alot of extras in the roms I built that I really didnt use. I thought I would but never ended up using them. After I would load that rom and install all my cabs I would be way low on available space. Id say around 6000K available storage memory.

I cooked one up a couple weeks ago without all the extra and I have ( i was mistaken earlier) exactly 22460K (just checked) of available storage memory. After installing the following programs.

HTC Home Customizer
Wisbar Advance 2
PocketCM .18
M&M Black Wait Cursor
PocketCM Keyboard .13
TodayShrink
MobiTV
Metrix2

Also did you add alot of ringtones or themes into rom. Its better to keep them in storage card and transfer only the one you are using in windows/rings.

I also deleted all the crappy ringtones and themes from the kitchen folder before rom build.

Last edited by reeg420; 03-10-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jeffneely is a n00b

Storage shouldn't be as much of a problem as Program memory. Afterall, you can install most software right onto an SD Card if you're feeling storage-constrained. The only software that tends not to like being installed on an SD Cards are those utils that need to launch on startup. Heck, I think I had over 1.3GB of installed apps on my Storage Card up until a few months ago.
Program memory is a problem though. There isn't any way to increase your program memory unless you just stop running some things. Sure wish I had 96MB or 128MB of RAM instead of this piddly 64MB (of which I only seem to actually get 47MB, and 27MB of that is already consumed by WM6 and the handful of things I cooked into my ROM).
Old 03-11-2008, 01:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: UT6700
Carrier: ALL

djxs is a n00b

When building your rom in BuildOS.. goto Tools, Set PagePool Size, change new size to anything lower than 7. I have mine set at 2 and I get 33mb storage mem free.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:51 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Yikes.

Unused/Used ROM storage does not affect Program or Storage memory directly. It does affect both indirectly. Program memory is affected by more programs running...if you didn't cook programs that are running, then your program memory won't be affected. Storage memory is affected because not all OEMs work "right out of the box". A lot of OEMs have to move things around to places other than /Windows...and the copy created by this process consumes Storage memory.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4
Carrier: Sprint

daveedem is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
Yikes.

Unused/Used ROM storage does not affect Program or Storage memory directly. It does affect both indirectly. Program memory is affected by more programs running...if you didn't cook programs that are running, then your program memory won't be affected. Storage memory is affected because not all OEMs work "right out of the box". A lot of OEMs have to move things around to places other than /Windows...and the copy created by this process consumes Storage memory.

Just looking around... what is odd is that ATT's Tilt (which I thought was pretty close to the mogul) offers up 110MB of program memory... I wonder why the piddly amount in the mogul?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:13 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Tilt has 128MB RAM. Mogul and Apache have 64. So, yeah, the tilt is going to have x+64mb free ram, where x = what you have on the apache or mogul free (more or less)

Ditto with the touch. So my mogul limps in with 18-20mb free after boot. The tilt has over 80mb free, as does the touch.

The mogul is, I believe, the last of the HTC devices with only 64mb ram.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development