PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   HTC Performance (overclocking) OEM (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=11573)

schettj 11-12-2007 01:11 PM

HTC Performance (overclocking) OEM

Somehow I missed this in the new ROM/Kitchen... I just manually installed it, and, wow - really pretty slick.

Anyone have any more info on where this app came from?

10 second overview:
It's a control panel. You launch it, enable 'dynamic CPU frequency scaling' checkbox, and pick the 520mhz max.

Then you forget about it, except your apache now runs like it's on steroids.

I've done some light batterymeter tests with it, and it does allow the cpu to drop down to standby/low power just fine - my idle power draw is the same 27ma (screen off but 6700 on) and the full power use is not a lot higher. I will have to see how the battery impact is during the day.

It is noticeably faster... snappier. Stable, so far, as well.

So, anyone else using it? Anyone know where it came from?

Perasite 11-12-2007 01:39 PM

Don't know where it came from, but I'm using it too, and loving it! Never used an overclocking program before, so I like the extra speed.

Zlog 11-12-2007 02:49 PM

Is there a cab installer for this version that you guys are using?

scotbotmosh 11-12-2007 03:06 PM

I just enabled this thing last week too when I ran across it, breathed new life into my apache that is for sure. A definate must have if you are running WM6.

TMB_XV6700 11-12-2007 03:47 PM

Schettj,
Between blazing performance and your 27mA base current draw, you've convinced me to include this and those Power Management tweaks you referenced in my next build. (Apparently I've been too content with a floor of 35mA).

schettj 11-12-2007 04:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
That's ~27ma for the floor with the screen off, not just backlight off, EVDO connected and idle, cpu idle.

Screen on/backlight off (ie, hold down power button until bl off) ~ 32ma

So the touchscreen/lcd draws ~5ma.

Some screenshots, all with overclock @ 520mhz and those powersaving tweaks in :D - tricky to catch the power level with screen off ;D

First three show no EVDO, idle screen+bl on (66), idle bl off (37) and idle screen off (29),

Last one shows me powering on evdo + email check (350ma spike) and then power off screen, power back on to take shot (34ma, but you can see I missed the low point...)

Having the screenshot app up and total commander up seems to cost me a few ma ;)

So yeah, does not seem to hurt at all to have it overclocked, at least for standby time.

JTSV 11-12-2007 04:59 PM

Where is this located? either cab or download I would like to get my apache on steroids.

mgioia2 11-12-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTSV (Post 120187)
Where is this located? either cab or download I would like to get my apache on steroids.

It's in the new kitchen, haven't seen a .cab for it around.

schettj 11-12-2007 05:39 PM

you can unzip the OEM in the ppcgeeksoem.rar file and just run the executable on your device. That seems to work fine

mboudro 11-12-2007 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj (Post 120225)
you can unzip the OEM in the ppcgeeksoem.rar file and just run the executable on your device. That seems to work fine

I found the file there and it seemed to work fine. Thanks for the tip!