PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > Google Nexus One

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Hidavi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHidavi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHidavi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHidavi is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engadget Likes Droid Better than Nexus

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/04/nexus-one-review/

Basically it comes down to the input mechanisms. A PDA phone is not complete without a keyboard. Also, they say the Nexus has awkward button placement and they miss the multitouch for gaming.

Aside from that, they think its just another Android phone, nothing really special, not even the Android 2.1.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO 1250

Rippa_MD is keeping up the good workRippa_MD is keeping up the good work
Re: Engadget Likes Droid Better than Nexus

no multitouch?! really...lame. I'm wait for the Nexus 5 or something...fail.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Theutus is just getting started

Multi-touch is there as a capability, it's just not enabled completely in the software. Because of this, applications can take advantage of it, the google OS just doesn't... yet. I'd imagine it's coming sooner rather than later, as it's a logical progression.

Also, Engadget is horribly opinionated, they are huge iphone supporters... This is widely known. They will do anything in their power to quell all good press for anything but their jesus phone.

I'd take whatever engadget says with a grain of salt.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO 1250

Rippa_MD is keeping up the good workRippa_MD is keeping up the good work
Arrow Re: Engadget Likes Droid Better than Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theutus View Post
Multi-touch is there as a capability, it's just not enabled completely in the software. Because of this, applications can take advantage of it, the google OS just doesn't... yet. I'd imagine it's coming sooner rather than later, as it's a logical progression.

Also, Engadget is horribly opinionated, they are huge iphone supporters... This is widely known. They will do anything in their power to quell all good press for anything but their jesus phone.

did not know that...

also did not know multi-touch is is there but not enabled, there's hope, come on Sprint get in on the Nexus One!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:24 PM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippa_MD View Post
did not know that...

also did not know multi-touch is is there but not enabled, there's hope, come on Sprint get in on the Nexus One!
There are actually apps available in the Android Market that already have multi-touch enabled too.... Google isn't stopping anyone from enabling it in their software....

Rumor has it that Google is trying to keep good relations with Apple (probably because they love all the advertising they get with google apps for iphone). That being said, with the Pre and other devices using multi-touch, i would expect that the next big update (within 3-6 months i'd imagine) for Android will include this feature...

Until then, i suppose i'll try the swipe keyboard method... Cheers.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

johnnycakes2 is keeping up the good workjohnnycakes2 is keeping up the good work

First of all, Engadget and its chief monkey-boy Topolsky do nothing but give constant rim-jobs to the media darling that is CrApple. If Jesus Christ came back and said he preferred Android to the iPhone, Engadget would have something negative to say about Jesus. Turn to Engadget for the pics and the announcements -- give absolutely no credence or attention to their reviews. They are biased, prejudiced and one-sided.

I guarantee you they have already typed up their smash-mouth review of Windows Mobile 7, but were kind enough to leave some blanks to be filled in 10 months from now. Gee, what swell guys.

As for multitouch, yes, it is already on every Android phone, but Google can't legally enable it without the fear of Apple taking them to court. And people need to get over multitouch. The iPhone doesn't have multitasking and that's 10x more valuable, worthwhile and necessary. Pinch-to-zoom? Uh, I can double-tap, thank you. Only have one app open at a time? Uh, no way. I'll take Android any day of the week.

Wait until Apple announces the 4G this summer. I'll bet they increase the memory and add a feature WM and Android have had for years. That's great. That's showing 'em. Remember when they used to make dumbphones for smart people? Flip phones and candy bars? Now they make a smart phone for dumb people, and it's called the iPhone. Enjoy.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 PM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycakes2 View Post
First of all, Engadget and its chief monkey-boy Topolsky do nothing but give constant rim-jobs to the media darling that is CrApple. If Jesus Christ came back and said he preferred Android to the iPhone, Engadget would have something negative to say about Jesus. Turn to Engadget for the pics and the announcements -- give absolutely no credence or attention to their reviews. They are biased, prejudiced and one-sided.

I guarantee you they have already typed up their smash-mouth review of Windows Mobile 7, but were kind enough to leave some blanks to be filled in 10 months from now. Gee, what swell guys.

As for multitouch, yes, it is already on every Android phone, but Google can't legally enable it without the fear of Apple taking them to court. And people need to get over multitouch. The iPhone doesn't have multitasking and that's 10x more valuable, worthwhile and necessary. Pinch-to-zoom? Uh, I can double-tap, thank you. Only have one app open at a time? Uh, no way. I'll take Android any day of the week.

Wait until Apple announces the 4G this summer. I'll bet they increase the memory and add a feature WM and Android have had for years. That's great. That's showing 'em. Remember when they used to make dumbphones for smart people? Flip phones and candy bars? Now they make a smart phone for dumb people, and it's called the iPhone. Enjoy.
To be fair, multi-touch IS important. Google will add it eventually (and i'm guessing pretty soon, considering it's the #1 negative most people have about it right now).

If nothing else, it's necessary for quick touch-screen typing.... Next biggest item is gaming....
Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

am I the only one who see's a problem with wanting multi-touch for typing?

the only reason multi was 'needed' is due to the lack of fine stylus control on some devices.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

Hidavi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHidavi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHidavi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHidavi is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theutus View Post

they were comparing the wo phones and said that they missed using multitouvh on the droid for homebrew games. meaning that on the nexus, its not dormant; its nonexistent.

and they praised the hd2 heavily despite being winmo so theiyre not asbiased as youd like to make them seem. not to mention having a webisode with the president of htc.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 PM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
they were comparing the wo phones and said that they missed using multitouvh on the droid for homebrew games. meaning that on the nexus, its not dormant; its nonexistent.

and they praised the hd2 heavily despite being winmo so theiyre not asbiased as youd like to make them seem. not to mention having a webisode with the president of htc.
Actually, it IS dormant... How do you think the programs that already support multi-touch work? Wizardry?

Also, HTC isn't stupid, they know engadget commands a large audience.... Regardless, to say Engadget isn't extremely bias (a few editors in particular, just do some searching) puts you in a very very minority crowd.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > Google Nexus One