PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 01:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: VZ

waycoolkennel is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
VZW to AT&T for WP7

Greetings.. I am now officially looking at switching to AT&T from VZW.. What I'm interested in is how other's have faired with the switch ?

Can you have WP7 and Zune pass and still get by on 200mg a month(use WIFI to sync zune)?

Or is the 5gig plan the only data plan that fits ?

Any other items to consider ?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:32 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Re: VZW to AT&T for WP7

Having a smartphone with a 200MB data cap is like having a Ferrari with a governer set on 15 mph. I mean unless youre going to be around wifi EVERYWHERE you go its just not gonna work.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Having a smartphone with a 200MB data cap is like having a Ferrari with a governer set on 15 mph. I mean unless youre going to be around wifi EVERYWHERE you go its just not gonna work.
I think this was the first sensible post I've seen u make but yea if ur gonna be streaming and downloading Zune then 200mb of data will def not work. u need at least 5GB.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:21 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

lwleedy is just getting started

I have Verizon and most of the other people in my company have AT&T. Without exception I have better coverage. We were in Las Vegas at a conference. I was at the booth talking to customers. EVERY TIME they got a call they had to leave the room we were in and walk out to a window to talk.

No matter where we go in the US I have always had better coverage. There have been times when I had weak coverage but, they had no coverage.

If you have coverage with AT&T then go for it. But, be ready to find the window in the building so you can talk.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: VZ
Threadstarter

waycoolkennel is becoming a great contributor

Thanks for the feedback lw..
Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Trophy
Carrier: Verizon

doogie is becoming a great contributor

I posted this in the "VZW Status" thread but will echo it again as I just made the effort to switch from VZW, to ATT, and back again to VZW after not being able to use my phone. Just anecdotal evidence to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie
AT&T honestly seems to work better in less densely populated areas. In the Seattle area if you're at a concert, football game, etc..anywhere where you've got a ton of devices in a smallish physical space - you will experience delayed SMS, slow/inaccessible data, missed calls..etc. My folks in the midwest don't have these kinds of problems since capacity is usually not an issue. Their coverage area is better due to GSM seemingly not reducing coverage based on capacity (in other words, CDMA seems to reduce the footprint as more devices connect).

I use a Network Extender at home so coverage/battery life is absolutely maxed even in my basement. I had AT&T's MicroCell and found that it just fought with the "real" towers in the area; causing dropped calls/poor quality/etc as our phones would bounce back and forth between the MicroCell and AT&T proper. This does not happen at all on Verizon.

Lastly and more of an annoyance than anything - GSM phones created noise in my car speakers as well as on my desk, in particular when I was in an area of weaker signal strength. Bluetooth headsets behaved differently as well - on outgoing calls, audio was not passed from the phone to the Bluetooth device until the call is connected (someone answers). I've used CDMA (Sprint, then Verizon) for a number of years so I don't know if I'm expecting too much here.

Bottom line, definitely try it out before you commit..or consider Sprint
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions