PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Windows Phone 7 Series won't have copy and paste

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
Why do we have to take his word instead of engadget's interview with the MS employee? Is he something special or your on denial?

Paul Thurrott is a pretty big and well known Windows blogger, with connections within Microsoft, but he's an avid iPhoney and WM hater so I take everything he says with a grain of salt. That said, neither source has any reason to lie. However, Engadget and Paul agree on one thing, it's not there NOW and it might not be at release. Paul's twit gives hope, nothing more. Even then, like I said, the fact that they could overlook something like this is a bad sign.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

wow!!

so i cant copy and paste an address from an email into google maps. nail in the coffin for me. sure it might come in the future, but its not something i should have to wait for an update for, just my personal thoughts based on how i use my phone.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

whetzel is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Smith View Post
...But I get the impression you and some of the other people are just looking for shit to whine about.
Actually it's just the opposite.

I was looking for shit to be excited about, but with all of these announcements, I'm not excited about anything that has to do with the future of WM.

Android is looking pretty damn good right about now though.

I don't know why everyone is arguing about this though.

Either you like what's been announced or you don't. Either you're going to buy a WP7 or you're not.

It's all a matter of opinion, but if even half of the 'rumors' about WP7 are true, Microsoft might as well give up on the smart phone market altogether.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio, Moto Droid, Palm Pixi Plus

obxKevin is becoming a great contributor

Per the updated Engadget article:

"Update: We just super-double-ultra-plus-confirmed this with Microsoft -- Windows Phone 7 Series will not have copy and paste functionality. There is a data-detection service built into the text-handling API that will recognize phone numbers and addresses, but Microsoft says most users, including Office users, don't really need clipboard functionality."

Hmmm. Not sure if this is the nail in the coffin for me or not, considering I just got the above paragraph in via copy/paste. Can't imagine not having it.

Also, no manufacturer UI customization allowed? I don't use xbox at all, have very little interest in social media as the main focus of my home screen, all devices will have the same three button configuration...Will wait and see what develops but I don't know guys...
Old 03-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: iPhone 6 Plus Space Gray 128GB Jailbroken

piscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to piscesjoey Send a message via Yahoo to piscesjoey Send a message via Skype™ to piscesjoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxKevin View Post

"Update: We just super-double-ultra-plus-confirmed this with Microsoft -- Windows Phone 7 Series will not have copy and paste functionality. There is a data-detection service built into the text-handling API that will recognize phone numbers and addresses, but Microsoft says most users, including Office users, don't really need clipboard functionality."

Hmmm. Not sure if this is the nail in the coffin for me or not, considering I just got the above paragraph in via copy/paste. Can't imagine not having it.

Also, no manufacturer UI customization allowed? I don't use xbox at all, have very little interest in social media as the main focus of my home screen, all devices will have the same three button configuration...Will wait and see what develops but I don't know guys...
Screw M$, I'm getting me a Supersonic in June. Now I see why Sprint didn't go after getting the HD2....
Old 03-16-2010, 11:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

whetzel is becoming a great contributor

Quote:

Lol. Wow. This just keeps getting better and better.

Is Microsoft even trying? Seriously.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

bkrodgers is becoming a great contributor

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20...=2547-1_3-0-20

"We don't enable copy and paste and we do that very intentionally," Windows Phone executive Todd Brix said in an interview.

There is no accident here. It has nothing to do with it being unfinished, or them running out of time. They actively made this decision, according to the Senior Director for Mobile Platform Services Product Management.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio, Moto Droid, Palm Pixi Plus

obxKevin is becoming a great contributor

One other thing I did hear is that 6.5 will NOT be killed off. Handsets featuring 6.5 will continue to be produced into the future years. I can't remember where I read this but I believe it was said that 6.5 would be renamed and re-branded as the more "business-like" WinMo while retaining all of its current functionality. WP7S will be targeted to a different demographic.

Anybody else remember hearing this?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

bkrodgers is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
One other thing I did hear is that 6.5 will NOT be killed off. Handsets featuring 6.5 will continue to be produced into the future years. I can't remember where I read this but I believe it was said that 6.5 would be renamed and re-branded as the more "business-like" WinMo while retaining all of its current functionality. WP7S will be targeted to a different demographic.

Anybody else remember hearing this?
Yes, I've heard this in numerous sources. But I have my doubts that this will really mean the platform stays alive. At the same time they've said this, they've also made it clear that there is absolutely no upgrade or migration path for WP7. You just start over. And WP7 is where they are directing their resources. Sure, they'll sell it to any hardware maker that still wants it. I think they're keeping it alive for people (business customers in particular) that are already invested. But I believe that new investment in WM6 will dry up very quickly. And I think those corporate customers will be looking for a migration path, and it might not be WP7. Large development houses will move on. Hardware manufacturers will move on. And then, WM6 dies.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

cyclical is keeping up the good workcyclical is keeping up the good work

Why the hell would they not support copy and f'n paste? I use it all the damn time even in just text messages and emails!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions