bkrodgers
Regular 'Geeker

bkrodgers is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Windows Phone 7 Series won't have copy and paste

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxKevin View Post
One other thing I did hear is that 6.5 will NOT be killed off. Handsets featuring 6.5 will continue to be produced into the future years. I can't remember where I read this but I believe it was said that 6.5 would be renamed and re-branded as the more "business-like" WinMo while retaining all of its current functionality. WP7S will be targeted to a different demographic.

Anybody else remember hearing this?
Yes, I've heard this in numerous sources. But I have my doubts that this will really mean the platform stays alive. At the same time they've said this, they've also made it clear that there is absolutely no upgrade or migration path for WP7. You just start over. And WP7 is where they are directing their resources. Sure, they'll sell it to any hardware maker that still wants it. I think they're keeping it alive for people (business customers in particular) that are already invested. But I believe that new investment in WM6 will dry up very quickly. And I think those corporate customers will be looking for a migration path, and it might not be WP7. Large development houses will move on. Hardware manufacturers will move on. And then, WM6 dies.