PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC-6700
Carrier: Sprint

rhino4195 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question total noob here needs some basic explanations

Ok, so Im gettin the sprint ppc 6700, as I really like its features and price. What I dont like is WM5. I have decided to install WM6.5, yet I dont know how to do this. I realize that there are instructions on how to do this already up, but like i said in the title: IM A TOTAL NOOB AT THIS STUFF so please bear with me. I just need some basic explanations on some things like: what is bootloader? what is the kitchen? how does the kitchen work? Etc.... So you see I just need a little help with this stuff because I am very new to it. Thanks for any and all help offered!

Last edited by rhino4195; 09-13-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

MordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the community
Re: total noob here needs some basic explanations

bootloader - what you enter to flash a new rom. This can be done manually or through active sync. on a touch pro, (IDK about your phone) you just hold power and vol down and press the reset button. Its that simple

Kitchen - where you can cook a rom to flash to your phone. I would recommend checking out the buildos or visual kitchen for a first timer. a (custom by you) cooked rom contains your OS (like 6.5) your tweaks and programs. all "cooked" in so when/if you hardreset, its all there.

rom - i would recommend flashing a pre-cooked rom as your first flash just so you get used to things.

if you still nee some help, let me know.
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
5. Everyone who thanks my post will receive instant karma!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers2114 View Post
MordyT is right.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:06 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

Welcome to Geekdom! I've mentioned this to a number of noobs,,,don't be in a hurry to flash your device. Learn the in's and out's of flashing, as well as what various ROMS will do for, or to, your device. There's plenty of info on this site for the 6700, since it's been around awhile. Avail yourself of this before you make the leap. The last thing you want to have happen is to instantly turn your PPC into a doorstop.

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Listen to Geekcop. He is wise.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

+1 for the words of Mr. Geekcop.

late,
Coz
Old 09-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

rhino4195 is a n00b

Thanks for the helpful info MordyT, its appreciated.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

rhino4195 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekcop View Post
Welcome to Geekdom! I've mentioned this to a number of noobs,,,don't be in a hurry to flash your device. Learn the in's and out's of flashing, as well as what various ROMS will do for, or to, your device. There's plenty of info on this site for the 6700, since it's been around awhile. Avail yourself of this before you make the leap. The last thing you want to have happen is to instantly turn your PPC into a doorstop.
Yeah, thanks for the advice, I will deffinately be doin' my fair share of reading and research before I make the leap!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC 6900 --> HTC 6850 --> TP2!!, HTC Snap (Wife's)

letmusiclive is becoming a great contributor

I have been reading for close to a year on flashing a new ROM... I think I am going to wait until I can get an "extra" phone to have just in case I brick mine. I also have to wait for the time to actually do it...
- John 3:21
Old 09-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

rhino4195 is a n00b

Yeah, I can understand that. Although I am way too impatient to wait for a year!!
Old 09-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

badutahboy is keeping up the good workbadutahboy is keeping up the good workbadutahboy is keeping up the good work

FWIW, I've read a ton of people who've flashed WM6 to the 6700 and they nearly universally say it's too slow to perform well... WM6.5 is another step beyond that, and might be SERIOUSLY frustrating to use on a 6700...

If I were you, I'd look at getting a 6800 at least, and really, probably a touch pro, if you want to use 6.5

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Tags
apache, bootloader, kitchen, ppc6700, sprint