PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Lurker

unscathed is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
semi-legal cloning question..

Ok, let me start by saying my company has a communications provider that offers the T1 Connection and phone systems in our office. We are looking at going with their mobile services too which (I am not supposed to know) are subleased through Sprint. They only currently offer like 5 different phones deemed by sprint.. , 2 of them blackberry (yuk) 1 of them is the original Motorola Q, as well as normal cell phones.

My question is, If I have a MotoQ9m (I actually have verizon, but would get the latest Q on ebay or something for sprint's services) could I clone it to the old style MotoQ and not have any problems? I would basically be putting the MotoQ the company provides in a drawer, and never use it)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as links on how to clone the phone as well.

Thanks a bunch

Last edited by unscathed; 02-20-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 AM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!
Carrier: Sprint

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207
Re: semi-legal cloning question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by unscathed View Post
Ok, let me start by saying my company has a communications provider that offers the T1 Connection and phone systems in our office. We are looking at going with their mobile services too which (I am not supposed to know) are subleased through Sprint. They only currently offer like 5 different phones deemed by sprint.. , 2 of them blackberry (yuk) 1 of them is the original Motorola Q, as well as normal cell phones.

My question is, If I have a MotoQ9m (I actually have verizon, but would get the latest Q on ebay or something for sprint's services) could I clone it to the old style MotoQ and not have any problems? I would basically be putting the MotoQ the company provides in a drawer, and never use it)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as links on how to clone the phone as well.

Thanks a bunch
I think it would be possible. I'm suprised they wont let you get Sprint's Moto Qc? I know your company is saying you can use the orginal Q, but I think you could get away with the Moto Qc and they never would know the difference. My IT guys doesnt know shit about phones. I had to help him setup the Treo's and other phones my building has.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

unscathed is a n00b

Oh my office can care less about the phone I use.. hell, The only reason I brought this up was because the contract company was limited by sprint and only allowed to offer like 5 different phones max.

I will ask them if I have a sprint phone if they could activate it.. hehe.. but my inside man thinks they won't do it.

Last edited by unscathed; 02-20-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:23 PM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207

Quote:
Oh my office can care less about the phone I use.. hell, The only reason I brought this up was because the contract company was limited by sprint and only allowed to offer like 5 different phones max.

I will ask them if I have a sprint phone if they could activate it.. hehe.. but my inside man thinks they won't do it.
They should let you. keep me posted. if they say no, I would love to know he reason why.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:15 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

My Question is, if you set up the account and get whatever phone on the service. What's to stop you from calling Sprint and having them swap out the ESN to a phone you want after the service is set up. I would inquire on that as an option.

-CC

P.S. New Sprint accounts allow you to personally swap out ESN online.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Lab Rat
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Or whatever device I pick out in the morning.

wldthng842 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to wldthng842

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
My Question is, if you set up the account and get whatever phone on the service. What's to stop you from calling Sprint and having them swap out the ESN to a phone you want after the service is set up. I would inquire on that as an option.

-CC

P.S. New Sprint accounts allow you to personally swap out ESN online.
This is actually right up my alley from what I have done at Sprint and from my stint at embarq.

The company you are moving to is an MVNO of Sprint (correct?). I could guess which one and would probably get close. The problem has to do with the same reason I can no longer sell my Q or A960.

They are using a different billing system and database that what actual sprint uses. They use pls. Sprint does not limit the phones that this company actually gets other than Sprint exclusive and flagship phones usually appear later.

There used to be a way to add the ESN to the sprint database. How I was able to use the Q on Sprint in the first place (it was a qwest phone). This no longer works with ensemble. (Hence the I can't sell it).

The point. You would have to convince a Sprint Corporate employee to add a Sprint Q9c to the database of allowed phones that your company has in pls. This is against the policy and agreement of the company that you are using. This would negate the MVNO agreement and get the Sprint employee fired. They are only allowed to offer white label phones that they themselves purchased from the OEM.

There is absolutely no way to activate a Q9c on a Sprint MVNO until they pick up the phone and purchase a white-label phone. Moto hates MVNO's and the only reason they sold the Q to them was to get rid of their built up supply in wake of the Q9 coming out.

Sorry for the bad news. Please ask if you have any other questions.

I worked in EQ corp wireless division and we had to explain this to top execs all day long.

Remember to say when someone helps you out.

Open thread without searching > waste server usage > waste energy > higher gas prices
Think about the economy the next time you feel the need to open a useless thread. Think about it.

Last edited by wldthng842; 02-27-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

unscathed is a n00b

wow.. thanks a bunch for that info.. yea.. we use Cbeyond as our phone solutions provider and they sub the sprint network.. ce la vie.. thanks for the info though ... good stuff
Old 03-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Lab Rat
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Or whatever device I pick out in the morning.

wldthng842 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to wldthng842

CBeyond is a nice company but they only take very limited phones. I think they were interested in the Touch but Sprint had a small exclusive and I'm not sure it fit cost wise. They have to pay a lot more for phones than Sprint and others do.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Lurker

legal Forum is a n00b

This pertains more to federal laws since you can't get a PTR in California anyway.

Why can't you get a PTR in CA? THey are off-list and can be set up either featureless or with a fixed-mag.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: RAPH100

jshell73 is just getting started

Good question here

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions