PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 01:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Fascinate
Carrier: verizon

infamousj012 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to infamousj012
flashing = free?

okay, this may sound stupid, buttt like i'll tell everyone, i'm new to the whole flashing/modding thing, when you flash it over to a different carrier does that give you the ability to use internet and such free- WITHOUT having service on your phone? i had a little issue with the bill [like not paying it] and i know you can flash over to cricket/metro pcs roms.. would that make my phone able to access internet/messages/ANYTHING??

just curious because i DO have my cricket phone paid for, just not my sprint line :]
Old 04-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Google-Search&Rescue Div.
Pocket PC: MoPho CM9/ MotoACTV / GTab 10.1(I/O LE)
Carrier: PPCGeeks/XDA

MoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to MoonZ*BabysH Send a message via Skype™ to MoonZ*BabysH
Re: flashing = free?

No. youde still have to have data on ur plan or you can just use the Wifi.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

nope, everything data/voice related is handled on the server side, meaning they have to allow you to have access. It's not like stealing satellite television.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:51 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

And let me throw this out there....if you're new to PPC's ( and it appears you may be), DO NOT be in a hurry to flash your phone. Learn everything you can about your phone, what it can and can't do with the stock ROM, and what you expect the new ROM to do for you. Learn the ins and outs of flashing and about WinMo in general. If you don't completely understand the process of flashing you phone, and any potential hazards of your new ROM, you will very likely brick your phone. In the span of a few minutes your useful PPC will turn into a paperweight.

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Google-Search&Rescue Div.
Pocket PC: MoPho CM9/ MotoACTV / GTab 10.1(I/O LE)
Carrier: PPCGeeks/XDA

MoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to MoonZ*BabysH Send a message via Skype™ to MoonZ*BabysH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekcop View Post
And let me throw this out there....if you're new to PPC's ( and it appears you may be), DO NOT be in a hurry to flash your phone. Learn everything you can about your phone, what it can and can't do with the stock ROM, and what you expect the new ROM to do for you. Learn the ins and outs of flashing and about WinMo in general. If you don't completely understand the process of flashing you phone, and any potential hazards of your new ROM, you will very likely brick your phone. In the span of a few minutes your useful PPC will turn into a paperweight.
Well said my friend.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:59 PM
p2k
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: TELUS

p2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousj012 View Post
okay, this may sound stupid, buttt like i'll tell everyone, i'm new to the whole flashing/modding thing, when you flash it over to a different carrier does that give you the ability to use internet and such free- WITHOUT having service on your phone? i had a little issue with the bill [like not paying it] and i know you can flash over to cricket/metro pcs roms.. would that make my phone able to access internet/messages/ANYTHING??

just curious because i DO have my cricket phone paid for, just not my sprint line :]
Well it depends on what free services you expect. Voice/SMS dont change regardless, they are counted on the server side.

Now this is where you may consider it "Free". Many people have unlimited data plans which DO NOT include tethered internet. Tethered internet for me is $8/Mb of data. Certain ROMs include software that mimics the phones internet connection and is counted towards that when using tethered mode bypassing the $8/Mb fee.

Heres a tip for new Flashers...

If it doesnt work.... Soft Reset
If it still doesnt work.... Soft Reset again...
If it stilllll doesnt work.... Hard Reset...
..................................... Reflash to Stock ROM
...........................................Reflash to Custom Rom
................................................Go back to step1.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions