PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

nico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Barcode Reading using PDA camera?

I have been curious about this for along time and no straight answer pops up....
Is it possible to use our MOGUL (or any smartphone with a camera for that matter) as a Barcode reader using the camera???
I really want your input on this...or possible software that claims to do it...

Thankx in avance.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff
Re: Barcode Reading using PDA camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico4k View Post
I have been curious about this for along time and no straight answer pops up....
Is it possible to use our MOGUL (or any smartphone with a camera for that matter) as a Barcode reader using the camera???
I really want your input on this...or possible software that claims to do it...

Thankx in avance.

Inigma makes a free 2D barcode reader that works well...

Microsoft was beta testing a 1D barcode reader, but it pretty much required a special lens that was stuck (via a sticky rubber gasket) over the existing lens... It always took me about 3 tries to get it to work... Microsoft deemed the project a failure and stopped distributing the software...

Do a Google search of this site for more information such as links...
Old 09-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Axim X51v

BarcodeGuy is a n00b

As far as I'm aware, there's no "reliable" solution for WMobile developers. Generally, this is the purview of the cell providers. Most of the work done is for proprietary applications. If you think about it, you'll need to control the camera, spot store the image, then run it through the analysis routine to find the barcode. The i-Nigma (i-nigma.com) utility is only for selected phones - I didn't see the Mogul, and only for entering URL's.

Motorola is working on the technology, and from what I see just about have it. Check out the review on our Barcode Font site. Its lengthy, but look at the "Camera" section. you'll see some pics there as well. The program controls the camera, and when the code scans, it acts like you just typed in the characters in the barcode using the keypad.

Let me know if you have any questions.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Just curious, but what would be the benefits of having the phone as a barcode reader?

Having problems finding what you're looking for? Here are some tips on how to search the site more effectively.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:04 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

nico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Wink Re: Barcode Reading using PDA camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcodeGuy View Post
As far as I'm aware, there's no "reliable" solution for WMobile developers. Generally, this is the purview of the cell providers. Most of the work done is for proprietary applications. If you think about it, you'll need to control the camera, spot store the image, then run it through the analysis routine to find the barcode. The i-Nigma (i-nigma.com) utility is only for selected phones - I didn't see the Mogul, and only for entering URL's.

Motorola is working on the technology, and from what I see just about have it. Check out the review on our Barcode Font site. Its lengthy, but look at the "Camera" section. you'll see some pics there as well. The program controls the camera, and when the code scans, it acts like you just typed in the characters in the barcode using the keypad.

Let me know if you have any questions.
I will check it out...
Old 09-21-2008, 01:06 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Wink Re: Barcode Reading using PDA camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripdub1 View Post
Just curious, but what would be the benefits of having the phone as a barcode reader?
well, since almost every bar code reader i have seen are Windows CE based, i figured it would just be software...
Also, i would use this for work, instead of carrying another device just scan in serial numbers, etc.

Thanks all for your great responses!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:37 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Cool...hope you find what you're looking for.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions