PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 03:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Apache
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

digit is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: New Verizon Data Plan

This may be VZW's way of "encouraging" users of aging smartphones/PPC's to upgrade to the new PPC's.

Although, doesn't this practice of restricting service by device clash with their new open network policy?

In Soviet Russia, the ROM flashes you!

Thanks, Helmi_c, and the rest of PPCGeeks--you rock!
Old 04-15-2008, 04:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VZW: Touch Pro2, Titan, Vogue, and Touch Pro

mdjkim is just getting started

Why is this plan restricted to certain phones? That's what I don't understand.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:25 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Threadstarter

spetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuff

Call Verizon and ask them that exact question....tell them they charge us enough money for the rates with very little return. Hell we have to wait for a decent phone to come along.

Steve
Old 04-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Lurker

CarRamrod is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by digit View Post

Although, doesn't this practice of restricting service by device clash with their new open network policy?
What is their new open network policy?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO3D
Carrier: Sprint 4g Dallas

dallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetrillo View Post
I noticed that Verizon has a new 29.99 unlimited data plan, but its only supported on the 5800, 6800, and Q9M. I am on the phone with them now trying to explain that data is data, and not allowing 6700 customers to move to this plan is wrong.

I have asked for a supervisor to call me back and they have indicated one will. Once I know the real reason I will let everyone know. If anyone has had luck in getting this plan added to their 6700 please let us all know how you did it.

Here is the link to the announcement: http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/New-...le-a_2665.html

Steve
Good luck in getting that call back.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro PPC-6850
Carrier: Sprint

JoeBobOneHalf is becoming a great contributor

You see it's because of things like this is why I left Verizon. I went to Sprint, almost cut my bill in half and never looked back. (In Eastern PA, Northern Jersey, New York, I actually get better service than I did with Verizon)
PHONE HISTORY: Sony Ericsson T61c> LG VX7000 (Charging Port Broke)>LG vx8500 (Chocolate) X5 (Phone was a piece of ****)> LG vx8600> Samsung u740 (I don't even remember by now)> Samsung u740 (No service)> Samsung u740 (10 Dropped calls daily) (Goodbye Verizon) > PPC6800 Mogul)>Moto Q9c> PPC6800 Mogul > PPC6850 Touch Pro (Plus a PPC6900 just for fun)
Old 04-15-2008, 09:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Apache

digit is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarRamrod View Post
What is their new open network policy?
I was under the impression that as of this year Verizon was opening their CDMA network to any device with a CDMA radio. AT&T announced a similar policy with their GSM network.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by digit View Post
I was under the impression that as of this year Verizon was opening their CDMA network to any device with a CDMA radio. AT&T announced a similar policy with their GSM network.

I dont think this has anything to do with their open network policy. Those are two different things.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: MDA

KingofHearts is a n00b

Several reasons they will not offer it for the 6700 it’s an older model and to update the data codes in the billing system for that device would not be beneficial it’s no longer offered and they can not make money from sales of the device. All of the devices that it is offered on are all WM 6.0 driven you can compare it to what they are doing with the Voyager and requiring the new nationwide plans to get the phone. It is not necessarily just to get the money however it is a lot easier to manage from a business stand point to start from a set point instead (i.e. current models that which support WM) of making it totally retroactive for every handset. Also the wireless industry in general is a business first and utility second they do offer a service however the primary goal is to make money. The reason Sprint offers it a cheaper price is to compete as a carriers with larger customer bases i.e. AT&T and Verizon. They have to offer an incentive to keep their customers and pulling new ones. The Churn that Sprint has experienced in the last 12 months has been awful so most of the prices wars they are creating are to try to regain consumer faith again and to bring customers back.

I totally agree that it should be offered on every handset however for that to occur you would have to hope for an Act of Congress or another law suit. I would suggest trying to petition them to offer it on the device you want since they have yet to specify what criteria they are going by to select the handsets that will be compatible with the new plan.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Newsy Writer
Pocket PC: Droid Charge
Carrier: verizon wired less

hoodracer is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to hoodracer Send a message via Skype™ to hoodracer

hmm... law suit sounds pretty nice lol

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions