PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 04:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

TheDempster is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is this possible? Cruise ship w/ WI-FI/ Mobile Phone/Skype

I am going on a cruise in April, and the ship has WI-FI access on board. I will be subscribing to a week long internet rate with the cruise line (will use with my laptop). I also want access the on board WI-FI service using my HTC Touch Pro's WI-FI capability, and use Skype for making calls to land lines in the US.

Has anyone done this? Can you access the ships WI-FI via your Cell phones WI-FI connection? If you can,will you be able to use Skype via that connection?

If it is possible, it would be a great way to avoid all those heavy at sea phone calls.

Any one had experience with this?

Would love to here from anyone who has figured this out.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Is this possible? Cruise ship w/ WI-FI/ Mobile Phone/Skype

A lot of views, No takers?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: sprint

snowplow54 is keeping up the good worksnowplow54 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to snowplow54

Well, i dont really have any experience using wifi on cruise ships, but i would imagine this would work. Ive used skype on my diamond through various different wifi connections while I was travelling through England last summer, and didnt have any problems. I think you should be fine.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

gcianc is becoming a great contributor

wi-fi on the ship will require a logon so lets assume you can use your brower and authenticate your connection. Even though for the phone that is a big if.

once connected you might not even have enough data rate for skype. i've used internet on ships that are slower than 14.4 baud modems back in the day.

so even if you had a laptop and perfect wifi connection you might find the ship's internet pathetically unusable for plain text email.

there is a huge YMMV as it depends on the location, system, satellite, weather, etc.

worst case at port find a Starbucks or wi-fi location with good connection rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDempster View Post
I am going on a cruise in April, and the ship has WI-FI access on board. I will be subscribing to a week long internet rate with the cruise line (will use with my laptop). I also want access the on board WI-FI service using my HTC Touch Pro's WI-FI capability, and use Skype for making calls to land lines in the US.

Has anyone done this? Can you access the ships WI-FI via your Cell phones WI-FI connection? If you can,will you be able to use Skype via that connection?

If it is possible, it would be a great way to avoid all those heavy at sea phone calls.

Any one had experience with this?

Would love to here from anyone who has figured this out.
#1 smartphone annoyance: wasting 40% of home screen on a clock.
FINALLY! - with Windows Phone 7 Series... we are taking accountability for the entire experience. That means you will not see layers, like HTC Sense or TouchFLO built on top of the UI by OEMs or MOs (mobile operators). - Aaron Woodman, Microsoft Director of Consumer Experiences
Old 02-23-2010, 04:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO (Still love my TP2)

RobDFW is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcianc View Post
wi-fi on the ship will require a logon so lets assume you can use your brower and authenticate your connection. Even though for the phone that is a big if.

once connected you might not even have enough data rate for skype. i've used internet on ships that are slower than 14.4 baud modems back in the day.

so even if you had a laptop and perfect wifi connection you might find the ship's internet pathetically unusable for plain text email.

there is a huge YMMV as it depends on the location, system, satellite, weather, etc.

worst case at port find a Starbucks or wi-fi location with good connection rate.
Agreed. Internet on ships is slooooooow. It will probably work, but don't count on good quality.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:41 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

Nope, its satellite internet, AKA 200kbps, you'll be lucky if you get a ring tone

EDIT: better chances in port with local wifi.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G/U301 USB Card

gprimr1 is becoming a great contributor

There will also be a delay due to the distance involved.

If you want to make phone calls, you should look at satellite phone rentals. They can be cheaper than cruise ship calls.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprimr1 View Post
There will also be a delay due to the distance involved.

If you want to make phone calls, you should look at satellite phone rentals. They can be cheaper than cruise ship calls.
something tells me if you're gonna be on cruises enough to need to think of an alternative to their services, maybe you can afford the calls :P
Old 02-26-2010, 04:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well thanks for the feed back. I just like a challange. From what I understand after doing some research, the ships block the Skype ports on their firewalls (Magic Jack too). I have heard conflicting detail about the internet speed. Obviously this has been tried by other people.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:10 AM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I would assume they do have a place where you could probably access the internet. Or as mentioned above I'd wait until we reached a port. But you will find more answers in your research.

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions