PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: n/a
Carrier: n/a

Pirs01 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Selection of machines supporting USB

Hello,

I was employed to develop an application for Android that will use some external devices via USB. I am also responsible for choosing a machine that will be shipped with the software on it as ready to go product.

I have no experience with PPC, Smartphones, Palmtops or whatever the right name is for what I'm looking for, nor with Android OS.

My question is: How do I go about compiling a list of machines that support USB devices? Has to be Android 3.1 (API level 12) or Android 2.3.4 (API level 10) with "an add-on library to support a broader range of devices" according to spec: USB Host and Accessory | Android Developers
I don't care if specific machine has to be updated with newer OS version or the add-on Lib, I just need to know that it allows me to do so.

I would imagine that I should filter devices by CPU they are using?
Is it possible that specific PPC supports required Android version and has USB socket but won't allow me to program custom device support via USB?

I don't really care what kind of machine it is as long as it satisfies the requirements and is cheap.

Thanks.

P.S.
I've just noticed there is Android Development root. Admins please do sort this out.

P.P.S.
Just noticed in documentation that 2.3.4 is not sufficient for what I'm trying to do so only 3.1 and higher will do.

Last edited by Pirs01; 08-09-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:31 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Selection of machines supporting USB

You mean arduino? or the hardware is already made?

Google announces Android Open Accessory standard, Arduino-based ADK -- Engadget

It support 2.3.4 and 3.1...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-14-2011, 09:53 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Selection of machines supporting USB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirs01 View Post
I was employed to develop an application for Android
Quote:
I have no experience with Android OS.
Wow, that's some messed up recruiting right there

Is this a tablet-app, or a handset app? Honeycomb 3.1 is Tablet only, so maybe you're actually targeting Ice cream Sandwich? (who makes these codenames, anyway? are they 12?)

Anywhoo, back to reality, assuming your employer responds to email, verify they meant to target tablets only, and then select any of the millions of identical tergra-2 tablets with 10.1" screens that have USB connectors, and support USB host mode. That's the magic phrase you're looking for. The xoom does, apparently, but may need a special cable (gag) - same with the galaxy tab. Dunno about anything else, but will be willing to google for you at $100/hour.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion