PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Android File System Structure?!

Coming from Windows Mobile, I knew I was in for a bit of a shock. But I didn't realize it would be this bad.

You see, I have OCD when it comes to organization and cleanliness. It's pretty bad. On windows mobile, I had every program organized by category. I edited all the .cab files to install to "\Program Files\*CATEGORY*\App Name", and the shortcut to be installed to "\Start Menu\*CATEGORY*"

Everything was perfectly organized. On the root of my SD card, I had 2 folders - "My Documents" and "Program Files". There were no stray files on the root.

I had everything setup PERFECTLY with Sashimi so when I reflashed, I could run my script and all settings/apps would be restored.

I found the registry key for all settings and backed them up, made provisioning XMLs for all of my account settings, etc. Anything that needed to be saved between flashes would be saved to the SD card. When I flashed, everything would be back to the way it was an hour ago.

I LOVE my Evo 3D, but I'm getting incredibly frustrated with how insane the clutter is. Every app and its mother decides to make a folder on the root of my SD card. And half the time, they're empty folders. I just want to know:

1. How are settings stored in Android? In WM, there were registry keys for everything from backlight to email signatures. Where and how does Android store these settings?

2. How can I have an app completely installed on the SD card, so that if I hard-reset, all I need to do is put it's shortcut in the app drawer?

3. Are there any tools like Sashimi that streamline the hard-rest/reflash process?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Android File System Structure?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [sammich] View Post
Coming from Windows Mobile, I knew I was in for a bit of a shock. But I didn't realize it would be this bad.

You see, I have OCD when it comes to organization and cleanliness. It's pretty bad. On windows mobile, I had every program organized by category. I edited all the .cab files to install to "\Program Files\*CATEGORY*\App Name", and the shortcut to be installed to "\Start Menu\*CATEGORY*"
What people usually do is they put the apps they most commonly use on the homepages and have launcher fill up and etc..there are widgets too that act like folders.

Quote:
Everything was perfectly organized. On the root of my SD card, I had 2 folders - "My Documents" and "Program Files". There were no stray files on the root.
This is why devices with large internal storage + sd card is the future..cause all these apps can play in the internal storage and keep your movable stuff on the sd card...

Quote:
I had everything setup PERFECTLY with Sashimi so when I reflashed, I could run my script and all settings/apps would be restored.

I found the registry key for all settings and backed them up, made provisioning XMLs for all of my account settings, etc. Anything that needed to be saved between flashes would be saved to the SD card. When I flashed, everything would be back to the way it was an hour ago.
Titanium backup? mybackup? but you need root :/

Quote:
I LOVE my Evo 3D, but I'm getting incredibly frustrated with how insane the clutter is. Every app and its mother decides to make a folder on the root of my SD card. And half the time, they're empty folders. I just want to know:
maybe re-partitioning your sd card may solve your problem and accomplish the separation.

Quote:
1. How are settings stored in Android? In WM, there were registry keys for everything from backlight to email signatures. Where and how does Android store these settings?
Its like programming..you have config files..no central registry sorry...

Quote:
2. How can I have an app completely installed on the SD card, so that if I hard-reset, all I need to do is put it's shortcut in the app drawer?
if you want to move apps completely to sd card you gotta repartition it partly or fully to EXT...

Quote:
3. Are there any tools like Sashimi that streamline the hard-rest/reflash process?
As I mentioned above Titanium Backup, MyBackup Pro, and NAND Backup(not an app its like a full image backup)..

Quote:
Thanks in advance
np...E _ _ _ > E _ _

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion