PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Android Virus/Spyware

So I guess we all heard that Spyware/Viruses are starting to show more and more for the Android operating system, if not here's a link...

Android Spyware Distributed By Third Party Online Marketplaces -- InformationWeek

My question for you all is, how does one know if a vendor is reputable with it's software? I'm not one for installing anything on day one of a release anyway, but is there an approved vendor list out there that one can trust?

The article I linked to specifically mentioned 3rd party vendors/sideloading of apps but can't you get them as well from Google's marketplace? I'm all for being open but does Google actually verify if the app submitted does exactly and only what the app is advertised to do?

Just wondering how the rest of you handle this and what (if any) precautions you take?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:08 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Android Virus/Spyware

best imo, lots of options and free.
https://www.mylookout.com/
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

With the amount of applications out there that do have viruses or are nothing but junk, I would guess Google isn't doing enough investigating before approving an app. Just my observation

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
Old 03-01-2011, 07:43 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
best imo, lots of options and free.
https://www.mylookout.com/
Does this app need root access to fully integrate into the OS? The website is a bit vague with installation instructions...
Old 03-01-2011, 01:22 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

notinkeys is a n00b

Lookout doesn't need root, but it will noticeably slow your device down. I had to remove it because it was such a drag. I loved the product otherwise.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I don't use anything for protection but on the other hand only download straight from the market, apps that are 3+ stars. I haven't had any problems so far so I'll stick to my routine.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney1985 View Post
I don't use anything for protection but on the other hand only download straight from the market, apps that are 3+ stars. I haven't had any problems so far so I'll stick to my routine.
Maybe you should now...Besides you don't want any Android babies running around, or do you? I wonder how many of these had a 3 star rating or higher?? The publisher of the apps is called Myournet, but I'm sure that'll name will change now.

Google Pulls 21 Malware Apps Posing as Bogus Versions of Real Apps | Android Phone Fans

Google shouldn't have to be told to remove apps by end users, kinda sad if you ask me. Open is one thing, checking to see if an app works as expected is another. Hopefully this might wake up Google to actually monitor the app store more closely...
Old 03-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Older than Dirt!
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Carrier: sprint

Thundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Is there any kind of a list that we can check against to see if a infected app is installed?
The article just said 50 apps removed but didnt say the author or even the app name!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Older than Dirt!
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Carrier: sprint

Thundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by notinkeys View Post
Lookout doesn't need root, but it will noticeably slow your device down. I had to remove it because it was such a drag. I loved the product otherwise.
I use lookout. Havent noticed any slow downs at all.
I dont use backup.
I just use it to check programs as they get installed to see if they are OK.

So far... knock on wood.... so good!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:27 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundaar2000 View Post
I use lookout. Havent noticed any slow downs at all.
I dont use backup.
I just use it to check programs as they get installed to see if they are OK.

So far... knock on wood.... so good!
same here, no slowdowns on "new" froyo or stock.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion