PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 11:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

New Daddy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb How prone is android phone to crashing/freezing? vs. iPhone?

I'm currently a WM phone user, and will move to a non-MS platform as soon as my VZW upgrade eligibility kicks in.

The first and foremost reason for migration to a non-MS platform for me is the WM phone's tendency to crash. I've owned no less than 7 WM phones (3 XV6700 and 4 Touch Pro 2), and freezing has been and is a constant PITA. It happens unknownst to you, making you miss a lot of calls.

So, from the stability perspective, how prone is android phone to freezing or crashing? How does it compare to iPhone? (This being an android forum, I may not get an unbiased opinion on the second question, but still.) I do have an iPad, and although it crashes from time to time, it never freezes. Its form of crashing is also in the mildest form - the app just exits; all you have to do is restart the app. What is it like with android phones when it freezes? Does it take long to recover?

With my MS phones, when the phone freezes, you have to open the cover, take out ths stylus, press the reset button, and wait good 2 minutes until the start screen comes back. To make it worse, sometimes the first reset doesn't work and requires another poke in the hole.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:36 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
If Android errors, usually you just get a Force Close or Wait option pop-up... like iOS, its just exits the app only...
Old 02-14-2011, 07:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Ipaq, Imagio, Evo 4G
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Sit Bits is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: How prone is android phone to crashing/freezing? vs. iPhone?

I know your pain, I also came from winmo. Wasn't sure what way to go either my Friends had iphones, the platform is nice easy to use and has many apps. Then the Evo 4G came out, went to a sprint store played with it for a while fell in love with it. Android platform also has many useful apps.
I've went 14 days with out a reboot. I had to reboot it just to see what it looked like to boot.
When a app crashes thats it its just the app stops and it does not happen that often to even mention it. If it does happen just restart the app and off you go. No waiting for the 2 to 3 minute reboot.
There's many custom Roms out there to try also. A big plus over the iphone I'm running Miui ROM on my Evo and its like Iphone on steroids especially with the 4.3 inch screen love it. My iphone Friends, I can see there jealous but they won't admit it.
with that said do your home work and read a lot in these forums they really help me out a lot.
A big thanks to all the knowledgeable people here willing to help others.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:19 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: How prone is android phone to crashing/freezing? vs. iPhone?

How do I make my phone crash or lag?

That effectively is my answer..not once did I have my Epic 4g lag or crash unless I was testing beta software that used root functionality..most of the time as stated it just FCs the program in question...I went months with no resets, lag or freezing...

I even played 3d games and do other things at same time with no lag..

Not to mention if I feel like restarting my phone..it reboots in 15-20 seconds..yup that fast!

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion