PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: USCC

Oditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do I save space?

I have the HTC Desire with USCC, I ran this program that rooted it. I thought doing that would let me install programs to be ran from the SD card instead of phone memory. I have a 16gb card and still 14.68gb free, but my phone only has 45.78MB free. Is there a special trick to installing programs on the SD card?

Old 10-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: How do I save space?

If you are rooted and have your sd card formatted correctly, you should be able to move an app from the internal storage to the sd card by going to:

menu/settings/applications/<app name>
Old 10-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Oditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
If you are rooted and have your sd card formatted correctly, you should be able to move an app from the internal storage to the sd card by going to:

menu/settings/applications/<app name>
I am now 1 step closer to understanding this. Yes the phone is rooted. But how do I format the card correctly? If I can just get to install all the programs on the SD card life would be great. So can you tell me how to do that is simple terms. (Because some of this seems more complicated than I think it is) I have came from the Touch Pro 2 and was flasing that till I found a really good ROM. And with the 16gb card, I never seem to run out of room. I like the Desire, it is way faster than the TP2, but limited in space.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root
Carrier: Sprint

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

android doesn't support install to sd. You can move the app to sd by partitioning a segment of card, or it is avail on 2.2 roms with an app called apps to sd. partitioning card is not that desirable.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhre View Post
android doesn't support install to sd. You can move the app to sd by partitioning a segment of card, or it is avail on 2.2 roms with an app called apps to sd. partitioning card is not that desirable.

OK I know that you can't install to the SD card (a very BIG negative over WinMobile) But I also know that the SD card can be partitioned and SOME programs can be moved there. If I don't find a way to move some of them to the SD card, then the whole idea of Android suxs and I will definitely call USCC and have my phone switched back to the TP2. I mean, this thing may be fast, but as far as everything else is concerned, WinMobile has it beat by a mile. Because going from one phone that was crippled by lack of speed, ti another that is crippled because of a lack of flexibility doesn't seem like an even trade. Kind of wish there was a way of just formatting the phone and installing WM on it.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root
Carrier: Sprint

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

Don't get too excited about things. It's not an easy adjustment to go from wm to android. You expect things a certian way and it's not, trust me i went thru that myself. Android runs great when it$s full. And it will start to adjust things needed to keep tuings going good. Running appe take space, and task killers suck cauwe they bog down your phone. Tue phone will shut down running apps as need to save space. And don't get caught up thnking android means no more soft resets 5x a day. It's called reboot, find quickboot app in market and widget it to one of your home screens. You will find it your new friend.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

You are right it hasn't been an easy transition to the Android. I have read both the Pro's and Con's of app killers, but at this time the one I have is extending my battery life for at least an hour or so. I can now get home to put it on charge. Ordered a new battery and also another charger for the office. The battery life on this phone is really bad, but so was my TP2 when I first got it. Probably because a new phone is something you just have to play with till you get bored. As far as rebooting it is concerned, I don't think I have had to do it more than twice. But it was a rarity in the Custom Rom I had installed on my TP2. Thanks for the advise, I will keep it in consideration. I am determined to make this work so I can just sell the TP2 while it is still worth a couple bucks.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion