PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

jimbutsu is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Droid X, Fascinate, or ???

Well, I'm *finally* eligible to get rid of my TP2, and I know I want to go with Android... Ilike the Droid X and the Fascinate both a fair bit, and either one is an option, but I also feel like we're close enough to year's end and the holidays that putting up with my phone a little longer might get me to some really awesome devices... Anyone have thoughts on what's out now vs. what's coming?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:55 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Droid X, Fascinate, or ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbutsu View Post
Well, I'm *finally* eligible to get rid of my TP2, and I know I want to go with Android... Ilike the Droid X and the Fascinate both a fair bit, and either one is an option, but I also feel like we're close enough to year's end and the holidays that putting up with my phone a little longer might get me to some really awesome devices... Anyone have thoughts on what's out now vs. what's coming?
The biggest question is what exactly do you plan to use the device for..reading email on a 1ghz wont be any slower then a 2ghz or etc...boils down to what exactly you want.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 09-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: DroidX (former TP2 wm6.5 user)

bulldog485 is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
The biggest question is what exactly do you plan to use the device for..reading email on a 1ghz wont be any slower then a 2ghz or etc...boils down to what exactly you want.
I want to get rid of my TP2 but with an update date of 10/20, I don't want to get a Droid and then have a better one come out 2 weeks later. I'm with the OP, I like the Fascinate but have people telling me the DroidX is the way to go. Help please...
Old 09-20-2010, 02:50 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Motorola actually is making decent phones for Android. It's a hard call and the usual advice is to play with each phone for an hour and see which you like better.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:06 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog485 View Post
I want to get rid of my TP2 but with an update date of 10/20, I don't want to get a Droid and then have a better one come out 2 weeks later. I'm with the OP, I like the Fascinate but have people telling me the DroidX is the way to go. Help please...
New phones will always come out..if you choose to pick out of what is available now as stated above you should play around with them yourself..but if you seek our advice then we need to know what exactly you do on a phone...for example, I can tell you all about how a fascinate is awesome for playing games and watching movies..but if you don't plan to do any of those the point is moot...

Tell us what you expect from a phone and we will give you advice the best we can..this of course does not substitute for playing with it yourself.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: DroidX (former TP2 wm6.5 user)

bulldog485 is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485

I use my phone for business and pleasure. I currently have a TP2 and am on the phone for about 3000 minutes a month. My address book contains over 1500 contacts and I live by my scheduler / organizer. I don't use the internet that much but that could and would change with a phone that does not frustrate me like the internet experience with my TP2. I am on Facebook and watch YouTube videos from time to time. I hate Bing and find it useless. I do like the swype keyboard on both phones.

I've been playing with the Fascinate and the DroidX and am torn between them. I know that I can modify the Fascinate to remove the useless Verizon crap and the same with the DroidX. Looking for the phone that will keep me happy for the next year.

I appreciate the advice from this group as I want to make the best choice possible to avoid "buyers regret" two months down the road like I have with my TP2.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:59 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog485 View Post
I use my phone for business and pleasure. I currently have a TP2 and am on the phone for about 3000 minutes a month. My address book contains over 1500 contacts and I live by my scheduler / organizer. I don't use the internet that much but that could and would change with a phone that does not frustrate me like the internet experience with my TP2. I am on Facebook and watch YouTube videos from time to time. I hate Bing and find it useless. I do like the swype keyboard on both phones.

I've been playing with the Fascinate and the DroidX and am torn between them. I know that I can modify the Fascinate to remove the useless Verizon crap and the same with the DroidX. Looking for the phone that will keep me happy for the next year.

I appreciate the advice from this group as I want to make the best choice possible to avoid "buyers regret" two months down the road like I have with my TP2.
Considering your use both the Droid X and Fascinate would work. The biggest thing I can say is gonna be a factor is how you feel about Pen-Tile display or the size of the Droid X...

One other option I could offer is if you go out of the country on business Droid 2 World Edition is rumored to hit soon, which may interest you. (it also has keyboard but obviously no TP2 kb)

Otherwise I can't say you'd regret any device that you buy, not that they don't have their issues but it will definitely make your TP2 look slow. IF you choose between the 2 just play with both at the store and do an impulsive buy on either lol

Last edited by gTen; 09-22-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:35 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Play with both devices for an hour. It's really personal taste. Ask the rep if you can put a phone in your pocket to see if it's too big.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:01 PM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 - SIM & HSPL unlocked

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff

I'm on the same boat. Droid X or Fascinate. Or should I hold out to see if the HTC Desire HD will make it to Verizon? (Will the HTC Desire HD Get a Brain Transplant and Head to Verizon with LTE?).

I love the EVO on Srint (but I don't really want to switch to Sprint - I don't know why, loyalty to Verizon? I suppose I would be open to consider it). The Droid X is a nice alternative to the EVO, but it looks a but 'dated' and old, and so big (bigger than the EVO, why?). The Fascinate does look very nice. Droid 2 looks good, I LOVE (LOVELOVE) the T2 keyboard, but I'm not sure about the Droid 2 keyboard. I think I would be okay with a screen only phone.

EDIT: Here is a comparison of the Droid X and Fascinate on Phone Arena (I also added the Desire HD for kicks) http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/comp...lts.php?phones[0]=4659&phones[1]=4748&phones[2]=4890&area=1

Last edited by WhiteBlazer01; 09-22-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:01 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBlazer01 View Post
I'm on the same boat. Droid X or Fascinate. Or should I hold out to see if the HTC Desire HD will make it to Verizon? (Will the HTC Desire HD Get a Brain Transplant and Head to Verizon with LTE?).

I love the EVO on Srint (but I don't really want to switch to Sprint - I don't know why, loyalty to Verizon? I suppose I would be open to consider it). The Droid X is a nice alternative to the EVO, but it looks a but 'dated' and old, and so big (bigger than the EVO, why?). The Fascinate does look very nice. Droid 2 looks good, I LOVE (LOVELOVE) the T2 keyboard, but I'm not sure about the Droid 2 keyboard. I think I would be okay with a screen only phone.

EDIT: Here is a comparison of the Droid X and Fascinate on Phone Arena (I also added the Desire HD for kicks) compare results (Phone Arena)[0]=4659&phones[1]=4748&phones[2]=4890&area=1
I don't think Verizon is going to have an LTE phone till next year at the very least...though from what I am hearing Desire HD > Evo easily...

As for now in terms of Specs Droid X is a bit better then an Evo..but in therms of specs Galaxy S devices win both..

And on that comparison...it has a few mistakes in there..

The choices for a phone has to boil down to what exactly you plan to use the device for..I mean similar to computers...you dont build a core i7 extreme with quad sli 485 cards, and 32gb ram just to read emails faster >.> lol

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion