PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 10:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

fsp48 is keeping up the good workfsp48 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: This is pissing me off...

+1 Now that was an entertaining rant. Here's to backing up your view...maybe this goes in to Google's Android suggestion box for the Sugar Lips 2.3 team.

What the OP is saying is an "APP" is a program that we as the user call on to do something we want, when we want it to. If it can be installed or un-installed and the OS is not affected than it does not need to start and run on it's own. The whole Linux to Windows operation apples oranges thing, ok, I get it ( not really) but referencing killing needed services and the Windows shell desktop gui whatever is not the same as just a user APP or specific program executed. If I don't want Skype running I close it. Maybe there are certain parts of it still running but from my end the program listed as Skype will be off and not start back up again until I choose to run it. And thus I have more free resources to use for other things. Even if the OS would do that for me to keep my game running smooth I still get to make the choice.

These programs, for all we know, start up on their own because they are used for a data mining/advertising agenda when they can. Have you guys read all the accesses granted to a lot of the programs we use? I would love to really know what kind of personal data is beaming from my phone all day. I like the fun and convenience of the tech so I don't really care though, if that is happening, as long as I am not affected by it anyway.

Last edited by fsp48; 08-05-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: can't type
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

First, I understand your frustration. That said, if you really want to resolve the issue (for now and within your control), do this:

1. Root (full with NAND unlocked).
2. Install a custom ROM (or not, this one is optional).
3. Install autokiller (free in Market but REQUIRES root) and choose the preset Agressive or Extreme.
4. Buy and install SetCPU from the Market (REQUIRES root) and create a new profile for screen off = 246 MHz).

Then sit back and enjoy your EVO with moderate to heavy usage for 24+ hours on a single charge. I have done all this (and run the latest Fresh ROM) and I love my EVO.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

fsp48 is keeping up the good workfsp48 is keeping up the good work

Hey rainfreak, thanks for the tip on extending the battery life. How much of a pain is it to set up both of those programs? Why autokiller vs advanced task killer (I think the r child one) so many are using? 24 hrs seems like a long shot with moderate to heavy use but it sounds great to me if I can even come close to half of that.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 3D-Flashaholic
Carrier: Sprint F&F an SERO..Oscuras

ddark4eva is keeping up the good workddark4eva is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to ddark4eva

this was Quite amusing. Task killer stays on my device. I've noticed a difference in battery life an overall device speed on both the moment and Evo b4 an after installing a TK... until ATK causes my phone to explode or melt in my hand it will continue to work for me.... Im well aware of how "android runs" but hey thats my preference.

@Rainfreak im gonna try that as well cus 2.2 is killin me
Old 08-05-2010, 11:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Threadstarter

Will7272 is keeping up the good workWill7272 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to Will7272 Send a message via MSN to Will7272 Send a message via Yahoo to Will7272 Send a message via Skype™ to Will7272

I will work on finding a rom, rooting, and moving forward with this. I guess what upsets me is that "We" as users, shouldn't have to root, flash roms, and other things so apps behave correctly. I just wish that these companies that develop the OS's "listen" to it's user base. I know they read PPCGeeks, XDA, and others. They should begin listening more. Android is a relatively new OS for phones and there's still a lot of tweaking to do...but I hope companies provide the resources to handle basic issues that plague power users every day. If you make the power user happy, Joe Shmoe will be happy.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Threadstarter

Will7272 is keeping up the good workWill7272 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to Will7272 Send a message via MSN to Will7272 Send a message via Yahoo to Will7272 Send a message via Skype™ to Will7272

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Do you even know how Android works? Obviously not...
I know a lot about how Android works. That's not the point. The point is that the way Android is working is not as efficient as it should be at this stage....period. Microsoft hinting that it could release it's first set of Windows 7 phones without the ability to cut and paste is ridiculous. Apple got blasted for not including this in their first round of iBricks. Being innovative with technology while not taking care of the basics that people have been used to over the years, only sets you up for a disappointed user base. I would continue but I told OMJ I'd be nice.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsp48 View Post
Hey rainfreak, thanks for the tip on extending the battery life. How much of a pain is it to set up both of those programs? Why autokiller vs advanced task killer (I think the r child one) so many are using? 24 hrs seems like a long shot with moderate to heavy use but it sounds great to me if I can even come close to half of that.
It's very easy to setup those apps, takes me maybe 2-3 minutes for both. If you want to go that route, let me know, and I can put up some screenshots and directions on how I do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddark4eva View Post
this was Quite amusing. Task killer stays on my device. I've noticed a difference in battery life an overall device speed on both the moment and Evo b4 an after installing a TK... until ATK causes my phone to explode or melt in my hand it will continue to work for me.... Im well aware of how "android runs" but hey thats my preference.

@Rainfreak im gonna try that as well cus 2.2 is killin me
I prefer autokiller over ATK because it runs better and more efficient, with less of a memory footprint, IMHO. I used ATK on my Moment and then my Hero, which is where I learned about autokiller. The difference I saw on my Hero was night and day between the two.

Same goes for you, I can put screenshots up of my config if you want/need them.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 3D-Flashaholic
Carrier: Sprint F&F an SERO..Oscuras

ddark4eva is keeping up the good workddark4eva is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to ddark4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
It's very easy to setup those apps, takes me maybe 2-3 minutes for both. If you want to go that route, let me know, and I can put up some screenshots and directions on how I do it.

I prefer autokiller over ATK because it runs better and more efficient, with less of a memory footprint, IMHO. I used ATK on my Moment and then my Hero, which is where I learned about autokiller. The difference I saw on my Hero was night and day between the two.

Same goes for you, I can put screenshots up of my config if you want/need them.
Yea screenshots would be helpful, lets try ur way for a few days thanks alot
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

He is not the only one NOT getting a solid day out the battery on the Evo. I also have random apps starting up on their own. I also hate it when my finger does not touch the search button but search comes up in whatever application I am in. Really a bummer. But again, it is fast.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It

Ok, here it is:

Download and install autokiller from the Market (free). Open it and grant it superuser access (always). Click on Menu -> Presets and you will see this screen:

I use Extreme but Aggressive does as, too. Choose one of those and then you will be back to the main screen:

Click the Apply button and you are good to go. By default, Autokiller loads up on boot, so restarting your EVO won't cause you issues.
This post has been thanked 5 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion