PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 07:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

parousia15 is keeping up the good workparousia15 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hard to break old WM habits

I have been a long time WM user. As a result of this history, I have certain, almost engrained habits I'm finding hard to abandon.

For example, I'm obsessed with RAM. This is because WM performs very poorly when RAM is low. When I got my Evo, I notice that after a fresh boot I have around 250mb of RAM. Naturally I downloaded ATK and started watching my RAM like a hawk. But after doing some research, it seems that this is not necessary.

Android is run by Linux, which handles memory differently than WM (so I'm told). As such, RAM appears to not affect performance (I haven't noticed anything even when RAM gets to 50mb). I've subsequently uninstalled ATK (reading task killers seems to do more harm than good on Android)

I'm guessing I have to completely re-educate myserlf about Android/Linux and accept it's nothing like WM.

Agree/disagree?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:07 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Re: Hard to break old WM habits

Pretty much
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

i have a task killer and certain programs will require you to use a task killer before it will function properly (mostly heavy games that use a lot of processing power, they will freeze and lag if you do not use a task killer before playing.) Now if you don't configure your task killer properly you will get massive soft resets and other problems, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HAVING A TASK KILLER, your task killer just isn't configured correctly so its stopping launchers and other programs that are needed. everybody that has a bad review of a task killer just hasn't tuned theirs correctly, but as a android user that has been using it since January with my nexus one, i have not had 1 problem with my task killer. download homerun battle 3d and if you don't use a task killer that game will lag, this is an example. if i don't need a task killer why does the game lag so badly if i don't use one.
Google is the next skynet
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

Luckily for me WebOS broke alot of my WM habits.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond - CDMA

mmmdieselfumes is just getting started

I'm interested in this info that says task killers are bad. I've been using ATK since I got the Evo last friday (coming from the WM, finally ditched the Diamond), and I haven't had a single problem with random reboots or whatnot. Just interested what the nay-sayers reasoning is for not using a task killer...
Old 06-08-2010, 08:06 PM
xSD
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EViO 4G

xSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuff
Re: Re: Hard to break old WM habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmdieselfumes View Post
I'm interested in this info that says task killers are bad. I've been using ATK since I got the Evo last friday (coming from the WM, finally ditched the Diamond), and I haven't had a single problem with random reboots or whatnot. Just interested what the nay-sayers reasoning is for not using a task killer...
I wouldny say not to use one but rather learn to use it correctly.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using Tapatalk Pro.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Threadstarter

parousia15 is keeping up the good workparousia15 is keeping up the good work

I haven't had any problems with soft-resets or anything. My phone has been running smoothly. I'm am just really new to Android so I don't really know what I am doing. Here is a link to the little article I read:http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-b...-with-android/

As for ATK, there are a lot of settings and I have no idea what any of them mean. I haven't found anything to explain them either.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

JaxChris is becoming a great contributor

I believe what the general consensus is among the more educated Android users is that if you do use a Task Manager/Killer, put most of the small everyday stuff in the Ignore list and only use it to fully close large apps after you are done with them (Games, Google Earth, etc).

I noticed I was trying to keep my RAM usage high as well but then released I only really needed to use it after using an app with high resource usage. Most apps are only using 3MB of RAM. It's the ones gradually build up to 100MB of usage that you need to kill.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO!!!!

Mazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
I believe what the general consensus is among the more educated Android users is that if you do use a Task Manager/Killer, put most of the small everyday stuff in the Ignore list and only use it to fully close large apps after you are done with them (Games, Google Earth, etc).

I noticed I was trying to keep my RAM usage high as well but then released I only really needed to use it after using an app with high resource usage. Most apps are only using 3MB of RAM. It's the ones gradually build up to 100MB of usage that you need to kill.
Agreed. I had my auto kill set pretty agressive and it only screwed stuff up, didnt actually make the phone run any better. Shut down stuff like voice dial and commands. I have it set low now with important stuff in ignore list and phone runs beautifully
Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G LTE

pinkbunniz knows their stuffpinkbunniz knows their stuffpinkbunniz knows their stuffpinkbunniz knows their stuffpinkbunniz knows their stuffpinkbunniz knows their stuffpinkbunniz knows their stuff
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkbunniz

Definately agreed. I too worry if programs are closing down and if my device is going to start freezing up due to that. Most of us WinMo users are going to have to go through a small rehab clinic lol.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion