PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 05:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Worrisome things about Android discussion

I read in the general discussion that all Android devices have the GPS on ALL the time. Aside from the privacy problem, isn't that a battery killer? I also read that you HAVE to sync your calendar with Google, and HAVE to have a Google account? WTF????

Aside from these concerns, feel free to add any of your own, and correct me if I'm wrong about any of my concerns.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:35 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Worrisome things about Android discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
I read in the general discussion that all Android devices have the GPS on ALL the time. Aside from the privacy problem, isn't that a battery killer? I also read that you HAVE to sync your calendar with Google, and HAVE to have a Google account? WTF????

Aside from these concerns, feel free to add any of your own, and correct me if I'm wrong about any of my concerns.
I think anytime you switch operating systems lie this there will be issues with things like these. They are valad issues and this phone wont be for everybody all-be-it I think it will be for most.

CW

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:52 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:

You don't have to have a google account to use android.. just makes it easier...and you can sync outside of google for calender as well, google is jsut default.

In some android phones google was completely replaced with yahoo and bing.

You can also kill GPS if you want.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 05-13-2010, 05:55 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

When you kill GPS, can you still use it when you want to, like Google Maps, etc., then turn it back off? Or are you really killing it for good from ROM?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:57 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
When you kill GPS, can you still use it when you want to, like Google Maps, etc., then turn it back off? Or are you really killing it for good from ROM?
There are apps that provide and on/off functionality for gps..just as always if you turn it back on it will take a bit to get the satellites and etc...
Old 05-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

You can turn it on and off as needed, though I don't personally see a need to have it off.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:01 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Thanks for the answers. Here is another. Can Android devices record phone calls like the TP2 can?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:05 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Thanks for the answers. Here is another. Can Android devices record phone calls like the TP2 can?
yes there is..remember android is based on linux kernel so the sky is the limit.

Also don't forget you have to notify the other person you are recording the convo by law.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Since this thread has nothing to do with the EVO 4G and is regarding Android in general, that's where I moved it (Android General Discussion forum).
Old 05-13-2010, 06:17 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
yes there is..remember android is based on linux kernel so the sky is the limit.

Also don't forget you have to notify the other person you are recording the convo by law.
The recording laws are convulted. There are different laws by state, and then a Federal one that cover conversations accross state lines. Also, if there is reason to believe you may be being recorded "for training purposes" like you are notified of when on hold with many businesses, you are not required to notify them.

I'm glad to hear that you can record calls. That is a great feature for me, because I recieve a lot of complicated info by phone when driving, so I use call recording to save it until I get stopped later, and can listen to it again and write it down.

Okay, here is another question. I often get password-protected Office Files (mostly Excel, even from my own computer), and can't open them on my TP2's native Office program, but I can open them with SoftMaker Office (which also has all the desktop features, which MS Office Mobile doesn't). SoftMaker says they don't have the manpower at present to port over to Android. Is there a MS Office on Android, and/or are there better alternatives to MS Office Mobile that offer more features (like handling password-protected files)?

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion