PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

j37hr0 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Android custom roms

I'm considering moving to Android, but one of the things I love about my Diamond, and my Touch before that is the wealth of custom roms and kitchens for the devices. Are Android devices as customizable? How difficult is the process?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: Android custom roms

Quote:
Originally Posted by j37hr0 View Post
I'm considering moving to Android, but one of the things I love about my Diamond, and my Touch before that is the wealth of custom roms and kitchens for the devices. Are Android devices as customizable? How difficult is the process?

yes, most android devices have tons of ROMs. I have a Mytouch 3G and I can put an android 2.1 with sense UI on it (basically a Hero ROM on 2.1) and a bunch of other ROMs.

You have to "root" (basically like unlocking your Diamond) the phone, every phone has a different root process but it's mostly easy. Then flashing is as easy as downloading the ROM and flashing (just like with your diamond) and most ROMs you can update the ROM without wiping all your settings (like on the Diamond)

It really is worth getting into.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

I agree with orangekid. I was a flash junkie with WinMo, mostly "chasing the dragon" looking for the perfect working ROM. All of the Android phones allow you the same opportunity (or will as soon as they are rooted), but I think that you will quickly find that if you flash it is because you want to, not that you have to like you do with WinMo. Most Android ROMs are only there to add more cool stuff for you... very rarely is there a need to flash to fix something, because they already work well enough on their own.

Take the dive... as a long time WinMo user I can safely tell you that I don't think you will regret it.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC INC.
Carrier: VERIZON <--?

spiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to spiritcrusher33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
I agree with orangekid. I was a flash junkie with WinMo, mostly "chasing the dragon" looking for the perfect working ROM. All of the Android phones allow you the same opportunity (or will as soon as they are rooted), but I think that you will quickly find that if you flash it is because you want to, not that you have to like you do with WinMo. Most Android ROMs are only there to add more cool stuff for you... very rarely is there a need to flash to fix something, because they already work well enough on their own.

Take the dive... as a long time WinMo user I can safely tell you that I don't think you will regret it.
totally agree. once u find a rom..then its off to customizing the theme.. which is really easy.. just make a nandroid backup before u install a theme.. that way if u don't like it. u can go back.then try another theme etc..

For me the hero is the perfect phone.. i love it.. same with android....might consider the evo later in the year. but the hero ( outside of the dust problem,lol ) is a updated version of my fav smartphone the vogue..with android on it..
Old 05-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

RicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

@OP A quick Google search would've given you your answer...
You know me? I can spot a Swan from a Duck
My approach? Smoother than an Armani tux
Old 05-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoRich196 View Post
That's true, but since the OP has been a member here for over two years, I would bet that he was looking for the advice of other members from PPCG that he has learned to know and trust.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:07 PM
AKA TEMPERBAD
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2/ N1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Thumbs up Re: Android custom roms

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
That's true, but since the OP has been a member here for over two years, I would bet that he was looking for the advice of other members from PPCG that he has learned to know and trust.

Awesome response... great attitude thanks.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC DROID INCREDIBLE
Carrier: VZW

jetdavdub is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoRich196 View Post
why do we always have griefers?
Old 05-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

RicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRicoRich196 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Chill it's definitely not me being a griefer but I just feel that a quick google search of custom Android Rom's would've answered the question in like 2 mins -__- butttttttttt I was kind of being a **** so I apologize.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

camscell is becoming a great contributor

it's alright we understand you're from new york

but on the side note here.. I'm really stoked about the androids, really thinking about making the dive because US Cellular isn't getting the snapdragon hd2 on a cdma network anytime soon so I'm going to have to get the HTC desire in early july... The tp1 and tp2 treated me well but I think the android might just treat me better :P
EVO

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion