PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: loking for
Carrier: T-mobile

christenajenifer is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Try Google's Android and its applications without purchasing its Mobile Phone

No need to buy a Google Phone for Google to discover the phone, its user interface and its programs. Simply install the emulator for Windows comes with the SDK. Here's how to install and use.

Step 1: Preparation System

The Android emulator is included with the SDK for the platform. While the kit itself is fairly large and somewhat obscure for a neophyte, the emulator itself is a small application that displays a virtual phone on the screen and is able to run on this virtual phone Android applications submitted by that.

- Download the Android SDK.

- Once the file is downloaded, click the right mouse button and select Extract All from the menu. The archive was untar then. Once unpacked, the kit employs nearly 270 MB on the disk.

- Open the folder "Android-sdk-windows-1.1_r1". Locate the Tools folder and note the full path to this folder. Under Vista, right click on the Tools folder while holding [Shift] button, then select "Copy as path" to store the path.

- Right click on My Computer (XP) or Computer (Vista) and select Properties. Under Vista an additional request to click on Advanced System Settings.

- Open the System Settings tab click Advanced and then Environment Variables.

- In the System Variables section, locate the Path variable. Double-click it.

- The field value of the variable, place the cursor at the end of the line, enter ";" (without the quotes) and add the path to the Tools folder (or in Vista, press [CTRL] + [V] to paste the path stored above).

- Click OK three times.

- Restart the PC to take into account the change.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Try Google's Android and its applications without purchasing its Mobile Phone

Does this actually work like the phone, with included network support, I've been dying to see the Android store and all the programs which are in it. When I go to it on my desktop it just says that, "For a comprehensive, up-to-date list of the thousands of titles that are available, you will need to view Android Market on a handset." Will I be able to finally see the apps with this SDK?

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: Try Google's Android and its applications without purchasing its Mobile Phone

Moved to general since this doesn't really have anything to do with accessories and it will def. get more views here
Old 05-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
Moved to general since this doesn't really have anything to do with accessories and it will def. get more views here
Haha, I didn't know you were a mod, I like you orangekid you're a good Guy.
Google is the next skynet
Old 05-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC 3VO 3D

Mswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Mswezey Send a message via MSN to Mswezey Send a message via Yahoo to Mswezey Send a message via Skype™ to Mswezey

Okay I did those steps...now what? How do I actually run the "emulator"?

Nvm...I'm for some reason i have to install the actual packages for Android. It didn't come with the SDK

Last edited by Mswezey; 05-05-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
Haha, I didn't know you were a mod, I like you orangekid you're a good Guy.

thanks P that makes my heart all warm and gooey.

btw what version of Android is this? (donut, eclcair...)?
Old 05-05-2010, 03:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G and HTC Arrive

boeman is becoming a great contributor

Quote:

I'm starvin'
Old 05-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

lovetohateme is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to lovetohateme

Cool thanks for sharing this ^_^

I'm gonna try it out.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:26 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC 3VO 3D

Mswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Mswezey Send a message via MSN to Mswezey Send a message via Yahoo to Mswezey Send a message via Skype™ to Mswezey

Quote:

Well I used the SDK and you can download several different versions of Android....1.X all the way up to 2.1 and you can try them all out
Old 05-15-2010, 09:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

cOnTaGoUs is just getting started

Ive downloading all this and have a emulator of 2.1 virtual device, but its just a black screen, with the word android in it.

How do i install like a phone rom, to see it all working or something? Also i made a new post about this, as i didn't see this one, sorry for that

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion