PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:09 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

hittingsmoke is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Really want to switch, but can it live up to my Touch Pro features?

My first Touch Pro lasted a *very* long time. After the first one died it all went downhill though. I've just had to replace another one because it overheated while tethered and got unimaginably slow to use after that. I really wanna make the switch from Windows Mobile onto Andriod with my next phone, and now my current Touch Pro is started to screw off on me.

Here's what I *want*. I know some of these are unrealistic and conflicting but I'm going to list everything. Maybe some of you know something that I've overlooked.

Basically I want a phone that can match my Touch Pro in features, but that runs on Android. Here's a quick list.
  • Slide out keyboard
  • VGA or comparable
  • Comparable CPU speed and internal memory
  • MicroSD slot
  • Standard wireless features, BT/WiFi/GPS
  • Can run on Sprint with TEP
  • Made by HTC
  • Micro USB charging/data port

I know I'm going to have to make some concessions here but I'd like to nail as many of these points as possible. Here's some additional info.

I really want to stay with Sprint because of their TEP insurance. The only other carrier I'd be willing to switch to is Verizon, and only if they've stopped locking out the GPS in all their smartphones to only work with their subscription based app, and only if they offer some sort of protection/insurance plans now.

The slide out keyboard I think I can learn to live without but I've become so used to it, it would make for an uncomfortable transition and I might end up missing my TP just because of it.

Hardware is important. I want to watch high res media on my device and want a VGA screen and a decent CPU speed for that. MicroSD is a must for the same reason.

I would like a phone built by HTC because of the large hacker community surrounding them. I'm a Linux freak, but still a novice and need a strong community for support. As I understand it HTC phones have the strongest community of hackers supporting and tweaking them. This I could live without if there is another phone out there that lives up to this standard.

I understand the only Andriod phones out there right now for Sprint is the HTC Hero and the Samsung Moment (which doesn't interest me). My bro's GF has a Hero and it seems nice, but from what I've read it suffers from underpowered hardware resulting in some performance issues. That's kind of led me away from the Hero for now.

Looking at the Motorola Droid it seems nice, but the Nexus One has almost twice the CPU power and twice the RAM and will be coming to Verizon this Spring.

These two phones are the ones I'll most likely be making my decision on. There are a lot of conflicting opinions on them however. Some say the slower CPU/GPU combo in the Droid is better than the lone faster CPU in the Nexus.

So could I get some opinions and recommendations from you other Android owners? How do the Droid and Nexus stack up? Anything else coming out soon that I should be paying attention to?

Last edited by hittingsmoke; 02-18-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:21 AM
When will then be now?
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; HERO200 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Htc supersonic
Old 02-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: Really want to switch, but can it live up to my Touch Pro features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imneveral0ne View Post
Htc supersonic
Boom! Yeah, he went there. And blew your mind.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:04 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Oh NICE! Thanks.

Had not heard of it. So I'm reading release dates ranging from March to Summer this year. Is there any more detailed info that maybe I'm not seeing on Google that you guys might have? Any info is appreciated. Looking at the HD2 now and it all looks like it would be (almost) exactly what I want.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:34 AM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

Check out the nexus one, its beats the pants off the touch pro spec wise, but doesnt have a slide out keyboard, it is coming to verizon in spring, out already on tmobile. Theres always the samsung moment, vzw droid, and the g1 on tmobile.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:26 PM
When will then be now?

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
Quote:
Htc supersonic
Boom! Yeah, he went there. And blew your mind.
LOL thats great
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:27 PM
When will then be now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hittingsmoke View Post
Oh NICE! Thanks.

Had not heard of it. So I'm reading release dates ranging from March to Summer this year. Is there any more detailed info that maybe I'm not seeing on Google that you guys might have? Any info is appreciated. Looking at the HD2 now and it all looks like it would be (almost) exactly what I want.

The Supersonic is the HD2 with android pretty much :-p
Old 02-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Quote:
The Supersonic is the HD2 with android pretty much :-p
Boom! Yeah, he went there, again. And your mind is blown, again.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:24 PM
SIR Flash-a-lot
Pocket PC: Hero

KBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on repKBZL is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Haha, nutjobs!

Thats how sweet the signal is in my office!!
Old 02-23-2010, 02:15 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
lol actually I knew that one already. That's why I mentioned that I looked at the HD2 for comparison.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion