PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 03:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint

synaptyc is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to synaptyc
Planning to GAME on my Android phone. Suggestions?

Hey gang,
My contract is up with Sprint. I will either stay put or move to Verizon depending on the phone I decide to go with. I am leaning towards Verizon for their Droid line.
My goal is to actually be able to play "good 3D graphics" games on my next phone. Will that be best accomplished with a slide out keyboard (Droid) or will I be fine without one (Eris).

I currently have the Vogue and love it... so I like the slim build of the Eris.
But in the past I had an Apache with the QWERTY keyboard. I didn't really use it that much because I was faster at texting with the onscreen keyboard and didn't play any games on it. Plus , that thing was bulky!

I am up in the air about which one to get.
I would greatly appreciate some user input in this area. I wanna hear from each camp of the pros and cons.

Also.... this late in the game, should I just hold off for the next greatest thing? (and what might that be)
Old 12-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Google-Search&Rescue Div.
Pocket PC: MoPho CM9/ MotoACTV / GTab 10.1(I/O LE)
Carrier: PPCGeeks/XDA

MoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to MoonZ*BabysH Send a message via Skype™ to MoonZ*BabysH
Re: Planning to GAME on my Android phone. Suggestions?

imho i got a chance to mess w a Droid for a few min and i really wasnt impressed, the squared corners felt a lil "old" and the keyboard just wasnt on par for what kb's have been on my past phones., i have a Hero and have had hard Kb's w my TP and Mogul and Apache before that. i guess it wasnt what i was expecting overall from all the advertisements verizons doing. again this is just IMHO, if it feels right i say get it. but make sure you play with it before hand cuz it may not be what you have pictured it is.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

synaptyc is a n00b

Thnx for the input MoonZ!
I do think that the keyboard will be a very important part if the phone is used for gaming.
And with the keyboard slightly offset... that may be an issue.
I also agree that the square design is a bit 'old' and too retro for a flagship Android 2.0 phone. Maybe the next Droid phone will be a sexy merge between the Droid and the Eris =)
Old 12-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Google-Search&Rescue Div.
Pocket PC: MoPho CM9/ MotoACTV / GTab 10.1(I/O LE)
Carrier: PPCGeeks/XDA

MoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to MoonZ*BabysH Send a message via Skype™ to MoonZ*BabysH

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaptyc View Post
Thnx for the input MoonZ!
Maybe the next Droid phone will be a sexy merge between the Droid and the Eris =)
No problem bro, and i completly agree that it would be a good combo combining the 2.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

synaptyc is a n00b

Has anyone actually played 3D games on the Droid or Eris?
If so, please describe your experiences!
I am curious to know:
1) what game you played!
2) how the device felt in your hands when playing the game
3) was the screen size and resolution adequate for the game?
4) did the phone have the processor power to provide a good frame rate when playing?
5) compare the experience to any other portable gaming system you've played with.

... not trying to beat a dead horse, i just want to make an informed decision. I may be buying multiple of the same android phone as Christmas gifts.

Thnx again for the help!
~Syn
Old 12-12-2009, 06:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DROID
Carrier: Verizon

jrodizzkool01 is keeping up the good workjrodizzkool01 is keeping up the good work

I highly suggest that you get the droid for gaming because:

1: I mostly use the app Snesoid to run super nintendo games.
2: The eris is easier to hold because of the rounder form factor but the droid feels more solid since it's made of metal. The keyboard on the droid makes playing Super nintendo or Game boy games (using an emulator) much easier. All of the keys are mappable and easy to use.
3: The larger, higher resolution screen on the droid is both a positive and a negative. It looks great when playing graphics intensive games but on the emulators i use for snes, there are black bars on the side of the droid's screen since it's a wide screen. Whenever i use "full screen" mode, the whole image look stretched.
4:The droid has a faster processor than the eris and it shows especially on the gameboy emulator i use (GameBoid). I get a quicker framerate on my droid than on the eris.
5: I use my droid for gaming more than my psp!
Old 12-13-2009, 01:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

synaptyc is a n00b

Wow. Thnx for all the input!
I may go ahead and get the Droid

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion