PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Evo4g
Carrier: sprint

lithid is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[Kernel][Sense]Evo 4g Freedom-v0.2 Kernel GB MR 2.6.35.10

Quote:
HTC Evo 4G Freedom-v0.2 Kernel
Here is the start of something that I hope is fun. My first time messing with kernels, I have also been an AOSP fanboy, until the latest HTC Sense OTA. For some reason I get awesome battery with the stock kernel. So knowing that, I thought it would be nice to add some tweaks to a sense kernel and see how good the battery can really get. I don't have a website to promote, so I use mediafire for downloads, if you have a mirror please let me know.
You can find all the changes I make in the changelog above. Please let me know if there are any issues. You can follow me on twitter which is in my sig or on google+ in my sig as well.

Thank you everyone! I have no idea who "created" smartass, so I have no idea who to thank. Please help me with that.
Quote:
: Disclaimer :
We are not responsible for any damage you do to your phone, or anything that results after using our software.
Currently v0.2 has:
Smartass governor
Powersave governor
Overclocked to 1.19GHz
Perflock Disabled
Voltage tweaks

If you would like to help with building, or learn more about it you can check out my other thread here dedicated to building and editing your own kernels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by github View Post
Tip: I am pretty sure SmartAss governor was created by erasmux for the GSM Hero.
https://github.com/erasmux/hero-2.6..../wiki/Smartass
This post has been thanked 7 times.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:12 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Re: [Kernel][Sense]Evo 4g Freedom-v0.2 Kernel GB MR 2.6.35.10

Thanks so much Lithid for posting your kernel here. Great to have you!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:10 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Welcome to PPCG!!!

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Welcome Bro! Thanks for kicking this out so quickly and dropping it here.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC: Touch > TP > TP2 > EVO 4G > EVO 3D
Carrier: USCC moved to Sprint

Earmuffs is becoming a great contributor

So I have never bothered to flash a kernel since I swap roms too often. I have this preconceived notion that kernels don't play nice on all roms. So this maybe a bit simplistic but is this for a specific revision (4.53.651.1) or any EVO 4G Ginger (they don't have souls) Rom?

I switched to the EVO 3D but I'm looking for something for my sister who I put in my EVO 4G. She is a total sub layman, borderline hapless, but of her own choosing. She is smart, but does not care to learn 2 internet or any tech shiz. SO my goals are stability and battery life. Think of this as the I want to not be bothered rom. Though I do think I'm going to put her in the EVOlvedROM r3chargeD Final because I want her to have the sense 3.0 elements, everything is WAY BETTER (I had OMJ's on my EVO before I got the 3D).

SO I said a lot because My original text was wiped out and I went on a tangent... Damn ADHD.

I want to know how does this stack up vs stock kernel in 4.53.651.1 because the only two factors I'm concerned with (in a kernel) are stability and battery life, in that order. I'm curious how you improved battery life if the kernel is overclocked, does the lowered core frequency when idle (governors) really make up for that?

Thanks for the work

Last edited by Earmuffs; 09-20-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC: Touch > TP > TP2 > EVO 4G > EVO 3D
Carrier: USCC moved to Sprint

Earmuffs is becoming a great contributor

Double post my bad...
Old 09-20-2011, 07:56 AM
oZo
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Radar 4G Windows Phone
Carrier: Straight Talk

oZo is just getting started

Thanks Lithid. Hope you get less grief here than 'there'. lol
Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earmuffs View Post
So I have never bothered to flash a kernel since I swap roms too often. I have this preconceived notion that kernels don't play nice on all roms. So this maybe a bit simplistic but is this for a specific revision (4.53.651.1) or any EVO 4G Ginger (they don't have souls) Rom?

I switched to the EVO 3D but I'm looking for something for my sister who I put in my EVO 4G. She is a total sub layman, borderline hapless, but of her own choosing. She is smart, but does not care to learn 2 internet or any tech shiz. SO my goals are stability and battery life. Think of this as the I want to not be bothered rom. Though I do think I'm going to put her in the EVOlvedROM r3chargeD Final because I want her to have the sense 3.0 elements, everything is WAY BETTER (I had OMJ's on my EVO before I got the 3D).

SO I said a lot because My original text was wiped out and I went on a tangent... Damn ADHD.

I want to know how does this stack up vs stock kernel in 4.53.651.1 because the only two factors I'm concerned with (in a kernel) are stability and battery life, in that order. I'm curious how you improved battery life if the kernel is overclocked, does the lowered core frequency when idle (governors) really make up for that?

Thanks for the work
It appears from the feedback in lithid's thread that many are getting good results with his kernel. I have tried it on mik rom recently for a few days and found it to be pretty stable. One thing I noticed though is linpack and quad scores were lower than the stock kernel results. Not that it means all that much to be honest but it didn't appear to change the actual real world performance for me. The only reason I bring that up is in the past custom kernels would provide higher scores on these tests. I didn't see a difference in battery life either but there are so many factors to take in consideration. For one, I was overclocked at 1.15 and using interactive x governor. Also, there are 3 versions of the kernel with different undervolt options so I'm pretty confident with long term use battery results will be better with this kernel. So in summary, I feel the kernel is stable and provides good battery life for my device.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:49 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Straight Talk

DarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowsquat View Post
Welcome Bro! Thanks for kicking this out so quickly and dropping it here.
damn. ppcg will make anyone a mod these days...ha

-MightyMike was here.... true story!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development