PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Evo4g
Carrier: sprint

lithid is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[DEV][SCRIPT][HOW-TO] Build MR GB 2.16.35 without thinking? WAHTS!?

Hey guys lithid here with another helper script, and how-to. As some of you may know I have recently decided to start building kernels. While I still work on roms, I found kernels to be strange, and sometimes difficult. So instead of taking that knowledge and holding it to myself, I figured I would release it here and hopefully it could open the doors for more people working on kernels.

Basically I created a script, that would do the entire build process for a kernel, it would copy the config you want from arch/arm/configs, assigned the compiler, then compile the kernel. Now after the first time I compiled this I did a copy and paste to Koush's AnyKernel updater, while that was fine and only took a min or two, I found it really annoying to do it everytime, specially when I am testing changes to the compiled kernel. So I added in a any-kernel folder to my built environment. I also added the tool-chain compiler I would be using as well into my repo.
AnyKernel folder
Cross Compiler

Now this was great. I didn't have to build anything manually, all's I needed to do was sign the zip and then push it to my phone.

Then I thought (being so lazy) why not just have this script auto-sign the zips for me and place them in my home folder? So I did. I also added in my own keys so the signature is mine! =P
Auto-Sign

Now for the fun stuff, recently there have been some roms out there that use a slightly different flashing method. Well I solved that as well. Now the script not only builds one update.zip for the compiled kernel. It creates 3 one for each rom type.

Quote:
Synergy Nightly
Synergy Godmode
Universal (All other sense roms)
So everything is basically done. Devs would be able to implement my script into their kernel environment to build kernels for all roms that are supported here on XDA.

How to:
NOTE: You will need to get a list of applications installed and be running linux for this to work. I used Ubuntu 11.04 for all my building needs. If you want a quick list of packages you will need to install first click here there you can install corresponding packages to compile this.

Code:
git clone https://lithid@github.com/lithid/Htc-Sense-Freedom-Kernel.git
cd Htc-Sense-Freedom-Kernel
./build-it.sh {version #}
That's it!

Here is an example:
Error:
Code:
lithid@WoRkBot:~/Development/Htc-Sense-Freedom-Kernel$ ./build-it.sh
Written by Lithid
[Error]: Expected 1 parameter, got 0.
Usage: bash build-it.sh v# [BUILD VERSION]
Good:
Code:
lithid@WoRkBot:~/Development/Htc-Sense-Freedom-Kernel$ ./build-it.sh v0.3

Here is a link to the script
if you are interested in seeing what I wrote. Of course it will be updated over and over again. Just figured this would be something Devs and/or users who are inspired to be devs to build a kernel without no knowledge really.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development