PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 01:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here is what the different services do

I found this on a foreign site and may not be exactly for our Diamond but it's pretty close.

BTAGSVC: Bluetooth audio gateway service, for BT headsets. Safe to disable/remove if you don't use bluetooth headsets....

BTHASPLUGIN: Enables your phone to use activesync via bluetooth. Safe to disable/remove if you don't wirelessly sync your phone to a computer via bluetooth, OR if your computer doesn't even have bluetooth. (Note: a blank BTHASPLUGIN key will recreate itself if you remove it, but will not take up any resources.)

credsvc: This is responsible for using Vision Services (Sprint), and maybe internet related activity with other carriers. Disabling/removing this will make your internet not work. Good for people who don't have an internet plan and don't want to risk using internet. (Note: It will display an error message about not being able to connect.)

DTPT: This service is responsible for letting your phone use your computer's connection when you are Synced via USB cable. Disabling/removing this will render your phone unable to use your computer's connection while hooked up to activesync.

EnlargeStartMenu: This service is a part of HTC utilities. It's responsible for making the start menu bigger. Disabling/removing this will revert your start menu to normal size.

GPSConnService: This service is responsible for GPS cache and background GPS operations that makes your GPS operate faster. Disabling/removing this will make GPS run slower. Example: It will take longer to lock onto satellites initially with this disabled.

LASSD: This service is responsible for security and lock features of your phone. Disabling/removing this WILL render your phone unbootable.

NOTIFY: This service is responsible for certain notification types. Disabling/removing this service is NOT recommended. You will more than likely be restoring this key, it will make your phone act really funky.

OBEX: This service is responsible for receiving and possibly sending files over bluetooth. If you don't ever send any files or receive any files using bluetooth, it is safe to Disable/remove this service.

SmartTouch: This service is part of HTC utilities, and is responsible for the touch sensitive part of the touch panel (bottom portion of your phone) and controls things like autofocus in the camera. Disabling/removing this will make autofocus on the camera not work UNTIL you actually snap the photo.

Trusted: This service has 2 DLLs in it and is responsible for "push" activities on your phone. PictureMail will not function correctly if this key is disabled/removed. In other words, you won't receive PictureMail notifications with it disabled.

Windows Live: This service speaks for itself. If you use any windows live related applications, or have a hotmail account registered in your pocket outlook, disabling this will make it not work. (Note: This does not affect the functionality of Live Search. [not the today plugin]) Also, you cannot delete the key, only subkeys.

Here is what I have removed:

App: This service appears to be responsible for task related things. Digging into the key you will find...
Tasks
Tasks\AlertManila
Tasks\ActiveSyncStatus
Tasks\DisableProxy
Tasks\MonitorEncryption
Tasks\CallRejectMsg
Tasks\KeyIndicator

I've safely removed this key without any adverse effects.

BTHIDSVC: This service is responsible for bluetooth devices such as keyboards and mice, but have no effect on bluetooth headsets or headphones. Removing this if you use a bluetooth keyboard for your phone will probably make it not work. Other than that it is safe to remove.

CERTENROLL: This service may be responsible for exchange server certificates, VPNs, or some other sort of certificate enrollment. This does not effect the internet, websites, or program installation.

HTCAP: This service appears to be responsible for some of HTC's applications. However, I have disabled it and have not noticed anything not working. TF3D, Manila and YouTube all seem to operate just fine.

HtcServices: This service appears to be responsible for some of HTC's background tasks. However, I have disabled it and have not noticed anything not working. TF3D, Manila and YouTube all seem to operate just fine.

LargeTitleBar: This service is responsible for replacing the standard "notification bar" of windows mobile with HTC's more finger friendly bar. If you've noticed that tapping on icons brings up a new finger friendly notification screen, it's this service.

LaunchOMC: After a lot of resarch i've concluded that this service is responsible for the Update PRL and Update Profile features that are on Sprint Touch Pros.

PhoneExt: This service is responsible for various error messages related to the internet and your phone's radio. Also, is responsible for ## codes.

Power: This service appears to be related to relaying information to programs about the phone's current power state. However, i've disabled this service without any loss in functionality. Example: the light sensor still works.

SMSRetry: This service is responsible for error messages related to SMS messages while out of coverage area or roaming and will attempt to try and resend the message when in coverage area.

SNApi: After a lot of research, i've concluded that this service is responsible for handling a special set of API calls that a developer can use. But I have not ran into a program that needed this yet.

SoftwareDisable: This service appears to be responsible for corporate envorinments where a network administrator can disable certain software from running on your device.

SWMGMTSERVICE: This service appears to be directly related to the srevice above it.

USSD: This registry key is empty on my device, and appears to be related to GSM networks and calling features of some sort.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

pask2155 is keeping up the good workpask2155 is keeping up the good workpask2155 is keeping up the good work
Re: Here is what the different services do

how do I know if DTPT is enabled or disabled, I have Dll, Friendly Name, Index, Keep, Order or Prefix??? Everything seems enabled, Index is set to 0... the only reason I"m asking is my active synce is screwed u p at the moment and want to try and fix it before a hard reset

Last edited by pask2155; 02-27-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HERO
Carrier: Sprint

Brock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on repBrock1909 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Brock1909 Send a message via MSN to Brock1909 Send a message via Yahoo to Brock1909

SMSRetry
where would i find this in the sys folder of a kitchen? i like the alltel alert it shows when you cant send the text for unkown reason ( it actually tells you why) and i would like to put this in my sprint kitchen.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

very insightful stuff, thanks!

Best... Member... Ever...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development