PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

WarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question My storage memory is shrinking!?

Sprint HTC Diamond -- I noticed that with both the shipped ROM and custom ROMs I see my available "Storage" memory decrease when I install applications onto the internal storage card. How can this be right? And it's not just decreasing a small amount from any "My DOcuments" overhead... it's an amount similar to the full size of the application. What gives? Anyone else ever see anything like that?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:44 PM
LMG - GEEK, VIP!!!
Pocket PC: HTC TP Pro 2 (From HTC Touch Diamond)

lawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to lawmangrant Send a message via MSN to lawmangrant Send a message via Yahoo to lawmangrant Send a message via Skype™ to lawmangrant
Re: My storage memory is shrinking!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarAxe View Post
Sprint HTC Diamond -- I noticed that with both the shipped ROM and custom ROMs I see my available "Storage" memory decrease when I install applications onto the internal storage card. How can this be right? And it's not just decreasing a small amount from any "My DOcuments" overhead... it's an amount similar to the full size of the application. What gives? Anyone else ever see anything like that?
Your available storage, it is your internal storage. The more you install, the less available.

And yes, mine does the same thing.
PLAN:
Everything450, w/ unlimited mobile to mobile[B]

Need Dropbox? Use my referral here!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

WarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmangrant View Post
Your available storage, it is your internal storage. The more you install, the less available.

And yes, mine does the same thing.
Really? Just to be clear... when installing an application you get two choices presented to you - "Device" or "Internal Storage". With GrooveROM I run about 60MB free on my "device" and of course I have 3.85GB on my "internal storage" card.

But if I choose the latter, my DEVICE storage total will decrease. So if I install a 4MB application my device storage goes from 60MB to 56MB, and my internal storage card will decrease by about the same amount as far as I can tell.

Maybe I need to do some testing and get some hard numbers.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 PM
THE HENCHMAN
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Diamond & Verizon Blackberry Storm!
Carrier: Sprint w/ SERO!

stevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to stevedog1

Make sure you are clearing your Opera Cache and have it save to your internal storage instead of the phone. Also use a cleaning app like FastCleanup to free up your phone's memory.
Attached Files
File Type: cab FastCleanup.cab (9.8 KB, 36 views) Click for barcode!

This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

Some program's cabs are designed to install to the device regardless of your choice....
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3Dâ„¢

Unknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeychris View Post
Some program's cabs are designed to install to the device regardless of your choice....
Also, even though you choose Internal, it still has to put files on the main storage to be able to "know" where to look for it or how to run it. I.E. putting files into system folders, just as programs do in Windows XP, Vista, 7 and such. (DLL's and such)

So although it goes on your internal storage, there's still a bit of space that is still needed on the main for it to put "system" files.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

abovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abovelegit Send a message via MSN to abovelegit

also text messages etc are stored to memory unless you have a custom rom that saves it on internal storage via mighty mikes roms.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:01 PM
AWOL
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2 and Samsung Moment

indagroove is keeping up the good workindagroove is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovelegit View Post
also text messages etc are stored to memory unless you have a custom rom that saves it on internal storage via mighty mikes roms.
I've found that causes problems with emails when flashing new roms.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development