PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch diamond victor
Carrier: sprint

cmdrogogov is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Recommend a ROM?

This is my first post here and the number of threads out there are a little confusing, along with most of the terminology thrown around.

I don't really want to start a flame war or anything and I'm sure every ROM that gets released represents a great amount of work on the part of the author.

I was just wondering if anyone had a favorite ROM? I was going to try out Juicy's ROM but it appears microsoft and their legal department had other ideas.

Right now I'm running a new Sprint touch diamond, I can't find a stock sprint ROM update (i'm assuming it's still on the first release)
Old 01-09-2009, 11:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Drumrintheline is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to Drumrintheline Send a message via MSN to Drumrintheline
Re: Recommend a ROM?

I would recommend MightyRom since its MightStable and MightySweet and MightyAwesome.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic
Carrier: Sprint

daryelv knows their stuffdaryelv knows their stuffdaryelv knows their stuffdaryelv knows their stuffdaryelv knows their stuffdaryelv knows their stuff
Send a message via Yahoo to daryelv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrogogov View Post
I was just wondering if anyone had a favorite ROM? I was going to try out Juicy's ROM but it appears microsoft and their legal department had other ideas.
First... read read read about unlocking your phone (check the threads at the top of this forum). You have to unlock your phone before installing a custom ROM.

Second... there are so many... read read read. My personal favorite is one I built myself using a ROM Kitchen (Calkulin's). I've got Manila from a Touch HD on my phone with lots of graphical tweaks. I've been doing this since my Sprint Mogul days so I'm comfortable with building stuff and flashing/reflashing/tweaking/flashing/etc.

If I wasn't using my own... I'd probably be using a prebuilt one that is built from Calkulin's kitchen. Grooverom looks very nice, Mighty's Rom is well tested, BlueRom is pretty cool, Juggalo's ROM has some really nice features as well. There's just so many choices... that's why I build my own, so I can pull features I want from other roms and roll it into one. I don't publish it because I never test or use everything (like bluetooth or Youtube).

Figure out what you want in a ROM and pick the one that most closely matches what you want, the stuff that's missing you can add yourself using CAB installs.

Daryel
Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung X475>MotoROKR Z6m>Touch Diamond>TouchPRO 2
Carrier: Cingular>Verizon>ATT(current)

xTSFx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxTSFx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxTSFx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

What happened with juicy's rom?

Old 01-10-2009, 12:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO F&F 500

kidFromBigD is keeping up the good workkidFromBigD is keeping up the good workkidFromBigD is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryelv View Post
First... read read read <snip>

Second... there are so many... read read read. <snip>
Daryel
That's a very good suggestion. You need to invest some quality time on these message threads reading and studying things before taking the plunge. Seldom mentioned is the fact that your carrier can void the warranty on your phone if it's discovered you flashed to something from PPCGeeks(or any other custom ROM). Think on this.

It took me about a week before I was comfortable with terminology. It was perhaps on the 4th or 5th review of the 'How to Unlock & Flash your Diamond' thread that I was ready to try it. Even then, I was reading, reading & reading the responses from all the users before I had any idea what to expect with my Diamond.

I keep a personal log of all the times I've flashed to a new ROM. That same document helps me keep track of all the registry changes I prefer. Then I learned that files on internal storage always survive a flash, so that's where I keep my favorite applications.

Finally, I'll give a plug for mighymike's ROMs:

...what has drawn me into Mighty Mike's ROMs is the fact that he is very responsive on this board. When somebody asks a question, or observes some strange behaviour, Mike is there to ask more questions and offer meaningful suggestions. Basically, Mike seems to be a well-rounded, articulate individual, who can capture a thought in writing, and who cares about his user base. You can tell he has a sense of humor! Not to mention names, but other ROM cooks seem bothered by answering questions from their loyal (or new) users, if answers come at all.

Just my $.02

Last edited by kidFromBigD; 01-10-2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Added link, clarified my thoughts a bit...
Old 01-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

And there you have it. Someone likes every rom, even ones they make themselves.

This thread is closed.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development