PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

nodiaque is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Backup current ROM

Hello,

I'm currently using a stock diamond. I've made some modification in it (not the rom, the diamond itself) and now it's working faster. I'm thinking of trying some rom you guys have on the website (and hope it fix my active sync problem) but before I do that, I would like to make a backup of the stock rom. Is there any way to do that, extract my rom so if I like the original better, I can put it back?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community
Re: Backup current ROM

Yes and no.

It's possible, but for someone who (I'm assuming) does not know anything about the kitchen tools, their functions, instructions and building a rom it's a no.
Your best bet is to start with flashing ROMs and applying your customizations by hand... then learning how to use the simplified kitchen and building your customizations into a ROM where most of the work's been done for you.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

nodiaque is a n00b

Ok, well there is a way, I'll learn it. I'm not ready to flash my diamond if I don't have any "means" to revert it the way it was.

thanks
Old 10-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Kitchen Builder

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

I don't mean to be critical, but from this and other posts, you are not at a level of... understanding to do this.

Yes it can be simplified into batch files and other things people might share, but this community has for the most part agreed that it isn't realistic to do things this way, hense the "kitchens and ROMs" not "ROM backup utilities"
Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

nodiaque is a n00b

Well, I found that there is a telus rom on the forum so it should be ok with that. But yeah, my level of understanding is a bit odd, I've start learning from the xda forums and I'm glad someone post a link to ppcgeeks since everything was for GSM there (mainly).
Old 10-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Kitchen Builder

Again, I'm sorry to be so critical, but these phones are actually very complex, and only a few people actually completely understand them (cmonex, oli, no2chem, gguru, etc.). Luckily for us, some of them have shared their knowledge and/or created tools that simplify things for us, leading to users that have a knowledge at what I would consider my level to be at along with people like ghetto. It filters down to those who can build roms with their own customizations using the tools like, juicy and juggalo, then those who can only run simple kitchens, then those who can only flash roms and then those that don't understand what it means to unlock.

Sadly it takes a while to learn all of these things, and you have to start at the bottom.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

bones20 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeychris View Post
Again, I'm sorry to be so critical, but these phones are actually very complex, and only a few people actually completely understand them (cmonex, oli, no2chem, gguru, etc.). Luckily for us, some of them have shared their knowledge and/or created tools that simplify things for us, leading to users that have a knowledge at what I would consider my level to be at along with people like ghetto. It filters down to those who can build roms with their own customizations using the tools like, juicy and juggalo, then those who can only run simple kitchens, then those who can only flash roms and then those that don't understand what it means to unlock.

Sadly it takes a while to learn all of these things, and you have to start at the bottom.
Thanks for spending time on replies. You have truly been of great help.

P. S. : Only helpful posts are welcome. Life is difficult. You dont have to rub that on new borns. You got to show them the right path.
"Child is the father of man"

Last edited by bones20; 10-16-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

nodiaque is a n00b

No problem bones20, and thanks toberchris, I understand what you mean very well, working in computer everyday to support all kind of people in a college, I know how it is when a noob get in and try to do something beyond his knowledge.

Like I was saying, for now, I'll stick to flash with rom that already exist and I'm glad there's a telus stock rom on the forum. Later, when I have time, I'll check out it work to begin cooking my own stuff. I doubt it's more complexe then creating a new game server from scratch like we are doing at trinity core.

I also apreciate the time you took to answer me frankly and guide me in the right path while explaining why all of that. I'm sure for anybody else that would like to learn, it will be of great help.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

newbs brick phones, and i buy them

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 10-16-2008, 01:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

nodiaque is a n00b

you do know there's a difference between noob and newbs right?

As for brick, in the worst scenario, it's futureshop waranty.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development