PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV-6700
Carrier: Verizon

Orca Orcinus is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy 1 Gig mini-SD Card Woes, Plz Help

Hello! First, thank you for all the hard work you guys/gals have put in to help us poor folk keep on top of the latest and greatest software. I've been reading and reading the forums to figure out what needs to be done so I can fall in love with my Apache again. The post has turned out to be very long, but as a scientist; I try to present as many variables as I can to offer complete info to any would-be saviors out there. My dilemma is thus:

Being the careful sort, I want to back-up my current Radio, Rom, and OS before I do any tinkering with my phone. I am running WM5 on VZWs 3.14.30 WWE ROM from 6/21/07, with a 1.43.00 radio. To me, in my limited understanding, the best/simplest way to do that is to back-up everything onto my mini-SD card. Since it is a small (1 gig) card, I assume it is not a SDHC card - but I am certainly no expert. I formatted it under Vista as FAT32, without trouble. I have been able to find the codes for MTTY back-up operations to SD card. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ght=d2s&page=2 (along with an excellent guide for making MTTY work http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ght=vista+mtty - thanks Mystic Genius!!) but I keep winding up with odd behavior when I try to perform the operations.

I tried running the d2s 74100000 00a00000 command from the ppcgeeks post above, but received several CHECKSUM FAIL on the PPC screen (fat1 errors in mtty log). I reformatted the mini-SD under FAT32 again, then tried the d2s 60000000 00800000 operation and this time everything just hung at CAL CHECKSUM on the PPC with the following displayed in mtty.

Quote:
USB>d2s 60000000 00800000
d.total_lba=1DF600
d.block_size=200
d.RCA=E624
d.drv_type=0
d.busWidth=1
Total card size=3BEC0000

SDCARDD2S+,cStoragePlatformType=FF
I have looked very long and hard for anything that might identify some simple thing that I have overlooked, without any results. I have gone through Mystic Genius' x64 driver update in the MTTY thread referenced above twice to make sure it wasn't a problem on that end. Everything seemed to work out successfully - A/Sync still works with my phone if I enable it - of course I do not enable it when running mtty and I have to turn off Vista's 'strict driver signature' requirement on booting the PC.

Hopefully, PDAPhoneJunkie can take a look at this, since I know they have had success with 2.04/2.05 bootloaders. I don't want to revert my B/L if it is not necessary, considering all the problems ppl have had with that activity. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Orca Orcinus; 10-26-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Orca Orcinus is a n00b
Re: 1 Gig mini-SD Card Woes, Plz Help

Well, I've been tinkering a little more and so far have not had any success with backing up my radio. I was able to run the OS, ExtROM, and ROM back ups - but I received checksum fails after each completed. The SD card has been working great, I have been using it constantly in my phone since I got it. When I try to explore it (in a card reader under Vista SP2), I get the 'Card must be Formatted First' dialogue box. What gives? Bad card, maybe? I doubt it, but I don't know why I keep getting the checksum failures in MTTY. I attached the log if someone could please look at it. Thanks for any help, in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: txt radbkplog.txt (2.2 KB, 0 views) Click for barcode!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible

gambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Hello. I think you may be taking a road to nowhere. I have not heard of anyone being successful in flashing a ROM from the SD card, although I have heard of ppl trying. If anything goes wrong with your custom ROM, as long as you can still flash, your WM5 VZW ROM can be found here:
http://www.pcdphones.com/uts_downloads.aspx

With instructions here:
http://support.vzw.com/how_to_use/xv...re_update.html

If you want to backup your modifications, you can use SPB Backup to the storage card. If you just want to backup your PIM info, use PIMBackup to the storage card. You will have to load all your cabs again after the ROM flash.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Orca Orcinus is a n00b

Thanks a ton! I did eventually find the futility of my endeavor in some other posts, but I think I will conclude that it was indeed an experience in Epic Fail. I did backup with PIM and hopefully everything will work out, so I don't need to worry so much about reloading WM5! Again, thanks for the reply - keeping my fingers crossed here.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible

gambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

No problem. Time is too valuable to waste. It is good you are doing alot of research before taking the plunge. I haven't flashed for a couple of years now so I don't know what the state of the kitchen is right now. There seems to be alot of cooked ROMs out there so I'd try those as they are somewhat "tested". It is actually pretty hard to brick the 6700 but it is a little scary til you have flashed a couple of times. Being stuck in bootloader or splash threw alot of ppl but you can get out of it. Good Luck.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Orca Orcinus is a n00b

I have to say that flashing was a lot easier than I thought, but I know a lot of the 'horror story' posts that I was reading were dated to when flashing ROMs first started taking off. I'm also sure the Kitchen had a lot more pitfalls previously, as opposed to now. I'm currently running a 6.5.1 ROM that I put together myself (after trying a pre-cooked ROM that I could not get to work, damn 2.05 bootloader) and I am so glad that I found all three of these great communities! (PPCGeeks, XDA-Developers and PPCKitchen) Now if I can just get Opera to run a little better, I'll be really happy!

Thanks again!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache

Tags
back-up, mini-sd, mtty, vista