PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G LTE
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

jejb is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Evo 4G compared to LTE

I am nearing the end of my 2 year contract for my Sprint Evo 4G. I think they are referred to as OG Evo's for some reason? OG = Original? Anyway, it's been a GREAT phone. Wife got one at the same time. I rooted both of them, installed Sprint Lovers Rom and have basically done nothing else since except refuse updates and install/uninstall apps. I rooted it to be able to do wifi tether, which I depend on at times.

The only real reason I'm thinking of getting the 4G LTE version is the camera. The camera on the Evo 4G just flat sucks. My only complaint on the phone, but a big one as I am outdoors a lot, like to take pictures a lot, and would like to get away from carrying a point and shoot in addition to my phone. I've played with settings until I'm blue in the face, and get the occasional decent picture, but it's just not good. I want a very good camera and it seems this phone has one, by all official reviews I've seen on it.

But I also read on the 4G LTE forums a lot of reports of more dropped calls, connectivity and slow data issues compared to other phones like the Evo 3D. Where I live, all we have is 3G. I've done some speednet tests on it and get in the area of 1.25mb down, .30mb up currently. That works for what I need. We will likely not see LTE anytime soon, if ever, here at the house (in the Ozark Mts of Arkansas).

Am I likely to see performance impacts if I go to the 4G LTE? If so, has anyone done comparisons to see how much is lost? I really, really, really want a better camera, but not if it's going to make calls and/or tethering worse.

Sorry if this has been done before.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:07 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Re: Evo 4G compared to LTE

I have not had any issues w/ dropped calls, etc....the camera is awesome, the phone itself is sexy, and ICS is awesome.....I would go play with one @ BB or a Sprint store to see for yourself.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G LTE

Da Uniq 1 is keeping up the good workDa Uniq 1 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to Da Uniq 1 Send a message via MSN to Da Uniq 1 Send a message via Yahoo to Da Uniq 1

I have had dropped calls but I think it’s because of the area I live in as well as Sprint upgrading their towers. Everyone I know on sprint in my area has been affected so I think you are good to do.

As far as OMJ said, yes, phone is sleek, sexy etc and camera is AWSOME! So you can’t go wrong.
Just be aware of the multi tasking issues with the phone. There are plenty of articles to research on that. But I’ve heard that if you root, you can tweek the phone itself and have a decent version of multitasking.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Well it has a newer processor and more RAM so it will provide a huge leap in performance when it comes to launching apps and such
Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

jejb is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
I have not had any issues w/ dropped calls, etc....the camera is awesome, the phone itself is sexy, and ICS is awesome.....I would go play with one @ BB or a Sprint store to see for yourself.
Thanks guys. I've pretty much decided to go for the upgrade. I installed a different ROM on my Evo 4G which has much better camera software/results, so I'll get by for a month on it.

Small world, OMJ. I went to junior and most of my senior high school in Hastings. Lot of year ago now, though!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:16 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jejb View Post
Thanks guys. I've pretty much decided to go for the upgrade. I installed a different ROM on my Evo 4G which has much better camera software/results, so I'll get by for a month on it.

Small world, OMJ. I went to junior and most of my senior high school in Hastings. Lot of year ago now, though!
nice! great town to live in!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G LTE