PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Metro PCS

ozlo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Random issues with Touch Pro (missing data, corrupted memory?)

I have had a Touch Pro for about a year and a half now and it recently began showing some really odd random behavior. This phone has had its issues since I first got it, from poorly designed hardware (keyboard ribbon cable and open/close switch failure) to buggy ROMs and WM6.5 glitches. I've been able to find workarounds for the hardware issues and things had been running fairly well for several months since I installed a scaled down version of EnergyROM (with Sense 2.1).

However, about two months ago strange things started happening with the phone. The automated backup (Sprite Backup) I have it run once a week stopped running automatically. PIMBackup stopped running nightly automatically, and a couple of alarms (G-Alarm) disappeared as well. I thought this was just a glitch and was able to re-add these, but PIMbackup and Sprite Backup still managed to stop working after a week yet again. A few more weeks pass and yesterday the phone's task manager and backlight monitor app (Lumos) decided to stop loading at startup. Today the phone started locking up more than normal. After a few soft resets, random apps had disappeared but the shortcuts to them were still listed in the start menu and some of their files were still present in Program Files. So I looked at the available internal storage space on the phone and it was only 40MB, yet it was 70MB two days ago and nothing new had been installed!

Thank God I had a recent full backup and was able to reload everything through Sprite Backup....but how long until this happens again?

Anyone have any idea what is going on with this phone? Bad hardware, WM6.5 flakiness, or both? I've used older PDAs for years without many issues, but it seems devices running anything newer than WM2003SE have been a lot less stable.

I only install apps to the internal memory and not the storage card, and things had been running smoothly for months without any new apps having been recently installed.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel 6800 > Touch Pro > Imagio>Droid Razr
Carrier: Alltel>Verizon

mastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Random issues with Touch Pro (missing data, corrupted memory?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlo View Post
I have had a Touch Pro for about a year and a half now and it recently began showing some really odd random behavior. This phone has had its issues since I first got it, from poorly designed hardware (keyboard ribbon cable and open/close switch failure) to buggy ROMs and WM6.5 glitches. I've been able to find workarounds for the hardware issues and things had been running fairly well for several months since I installed a scaled down version of EnergyROM (with Sense 2.1).

However, about two months ago strange things started happening with the phone. The automated backup (Sprite Backup) I have it run once a week stopped running automatically. PIMBackup stopped running nightly automatically, and a couple of alarms (G-Alarm) disappeared as well. I thought this was just a glitch and was able to re-add these, but PIMbackup and Sprite Backup still managed to stop working after a week yet again. A few more weeks pass and yesterday the phone's task manager and backlight monitor app (Lumos) decided to stop loading at startup. Today the phone started locking up more than normal. After a few soft resets, random apps had disappeared but the shortcuts to them were still listed in the start menu and some of their files were still present in Program Files. So I looked at the available internal storage space on the phone and it was only 40MB, yet it was 70MB two days ago and nothing new had been installed!

Thank God I had a recent full backup and was able to reload everything through Sprite Backup....but how long until this happens again?

Anyone have any idea what is going on with this phone? Bad hardware, WM6.5 flakiness, or both? I've used older PDAs for years without many issues, but it seems devices running anything newer than WM2003SE have been a lot less stable.

I only install apps to the internal memory and not the storage card, and things had been running smoothly for months without any new apps having been recently installed.
I know it's not exactly what you want to hear, but a hard reset may be in your future.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro