PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > LG Fathom

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 03:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom
Carrier: verizon

eatbuckshot is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Some tweaks for the LG Fathom (disable powermobia w/ caveats, no boot snd/animation)

Now that we have a forum, I can finally put some tweaks that I figured out, rather frustratingly, after I spent many hours slaving over the registry and google.

APPLY TWEAKS AT YOUR OWN RISK, Please to backup, I've tried my best to isolate each tweak and have an undo option, but I'm relatively new to this and I'm not sure if there are any side effects when applied.
I made these tweaks as regs since I have no experience making cabs, but it'll be easiest to apply these using a registry editor of some sort. (resco?)

1. Disable powermobia arcsoft mms/sms
Makes me quite happy, but some caveats are that I don't have an MMS replacement so *****no picture/video messages,*******

But it should use winmo's threaded sms
I think apply the registry tweaks (UseWinmoSMSApp.reg, UseTMAILforSMS.reg) tweak (perhaps wait a minute or so for it to flush to the registry on the fs? just to be sure ) then soft reset. There should be an sms account available in the list of messaging accounts and the titanium message panel should open up the threaded poutlook for sms.

Just a note, I'm actually not sure if both those regs are required since I was just trying everything possible, but I'm thinking both would make it complete. Also, I had issues with powermobia being randomly called up again, and well I just completely replaced the executable so it wouldn't be(but hopefully those tweaks would prevent that)

Additionally, the startup programs has something that what I believe indirectly invokes powermobia (transport.exe) but i'm not sure so tweak #2, trim startup programs, might be necessary to complete this...

2. Trim Startup Programs
So... I tried to remove some programs which seemed unnecessary at startup:
"Launch130"="transport.exe" <-- might have to be removed to completely rid of powermobia
"Launch49"="StartUpAni_Delay.exe" <--Just sounds like it delays...
"Launch77"="LGFavoriteContactBack.exe" <---unnecessary LG contact app? that i don't use?
RemoveINITStartup.reg

3. Disable bootup animation/sound (and potentially make your own)
I was a bit annoyed at not being able to mute the phone, especially when i need to restart it in a quiet setting.
I discovered that the animation and sound are probably resources in a dll:
startup animation and image(sound?):
\windows\StartUpAni.dll
\windows\StartUpImg_DMDO_000.bmp
\windows\StartUpAni_DMDO_000.dll <-resource has animation

I also found in the registry where boot items are listed and startupani is called so i tried removing it(I can't recall if this is really what disabled the animation for me but i made a tweak out of it, I might have just removed/renamed the dll) but try out RemoveStartUpAni.reg

4. Remove MobileIM and Visual Voice mail and CityID rules
Well if you don't use them:
MobileIMandVisualVoiceMailRules.reg
SMSCityIdRuleRemoval.reg

5. Disable SMS sent message
self explanatory:
SMSNoSentMSG.reg

6. Enable GPS
Phone>soft key menu>options>CDmA servics>GPS> get settings.
Location on

Start>Settings>System>External Gps>Programs
Gps program port = com4
So for google maps for example, use com4, satellite lock may take 2 minutes or more
It would be nice to get quickgps working

Anymore tweaks would be appreciated like
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tweaks.zip (4.7 KB, 243 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by eatbuckshot; 01-16-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom VS750V7
Carrier: Verizon

trysomeothertime is becoming a great contributor
Re: Some tweaks for the LG Fathom (disable powermobia w/ caveats, no boot snd/animati

Glad to see that at least a few others have this phone! Thank you very much for the provided tweaks, I will try them out tomorrow.

I have a problem with multitasking though. Perhaps this also occurs for you?

It seems that programs close rather randomly. I will have 79 Mb of free ram on boot, run FreeRam utility from SKTools, and still have programs close by themselves when I push the task manager button to switch to another program. This will happen even if I have just Opera Mini open, for example, which uses say 10 Mb. I switch to task manager, and then when I click on the Opera Mini line, it dissapears from the list. If I wait a few seconds without double tapping to switch, it also dissapears.

It is really annoying, since even my old SCH-i760 wouldn't force programs to close by themselves. I am getting a storage card to try to reinstall the programs on it, but I am not sure if it would help.

Also, not sure, but perhaps the fact that I ran the "Clean" utility right out of the box from SKTools and deleted all invalid entries could have affected something?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6800 X 2, 6900, Omnia i910, Fathom, DInc 1 and 2

cac2us knows their stuffcac2us knows their stuffcac2us knows their stuffcac2us knows their stuffcac2us knows their stuffcac2us knows their stuff
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Some tweaks for the LG Fathom (disable powermobia w/ caveats, no boot snd/animati

I just got my Fathom last Tuesday.
Tech support advised me before the purchase that this unit will ship with:
VS750ZV7 updete.
When It arrived, It was V4...
I finally got V7 flashed to it. (Via .cab and alternate method).
That lg online update utillity seems to be more trouble then the HSPL for the TP2 started out.

Glad to see this thread here at PPCGeeks.
Has any one found any taskbar tweeks yet?
I just tried to run the keyboard from my omnia and I found that:
To hard reset the device without using the os,
Press and hold the [Fn]+[C] then press the reset button. Hold all three for 3 seconds, then re-install the the backup SKTools.

eatbuckshot, thanks for the start a great thread..

It will be nice once these LG or Multi Kitchens is updated to work witht the Jathom.
Trying to jugle this 211mb RAM is a joke.
What was LG Thinking?

I found FdcSoft has the latest task manager 3.3 for WM6.5. (FREE!)
It shows all the functions running and where to find them in the regestry.

TotalCommander 2.52b3 (FREE!) does some of the reg imports that Resco (Trial?) won't.

SKTools 4514, (Very Cheap, Pocket Gear $18.99) has some great tools.
A backup tool that is searchable on ppc or pc.
Optimize (for max mem) leaves me with about 70 mb free RAM.
As well as Convert REG to CAB... So I can backup some of my reg entries before I change them.
Then create a cab file of the new reg.

I remember when my i910 was running the stock ROM, the RAM would have 25% free.
After cooking the "Bloatware" out of the ROM, I have 58% free! 53mb.
Verry few "Scrapware" apps acessing the registry,

Now to dissable some of these processes and services.
Oh and the non os method of hard reset ([Fn]+[C]+Reset for three sec.) doesn't require *228-1 like the software method does.

And searching the Windows folder for .exe files revealed some interesting files.
"EngineerMode", HiddenMenu and others. Some require soft reset. Some may cause reg corruption.
OemDoDial, I think calls 911 so be ready to tap END button.

Be carefull with some of these settings, as I am not sure a hard reset will fix them.
So "Hand Copy" any settings to paper BEFORE you change them.

And as allways do these things of your own free will. (At your own risk).
If you don't know what they are for, search\backup\copy\test. Or ask someone that knows.
I'm sure that it's just a matter of time till we find the way to improve the RAM usage of this fine device.
What would it have cost to double the RAM in the first place? $10.00 or less.
Maybe there will be a way to install ram. (Ha, Ha), or at least move the partition a little.
I guess it's all about followup marketshare. Push the next device to have more RAM then the last one...

I might figure the diag mode to access QPST.

Enjoy.

Rest in Peace Baby Brother..[8-7-10]...
And They Better Watch Out For RICOCHETS!!!

Last edited by cac2us; 01-17-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

No problem cac2us, I was rather frustrated with the phone as stock and I could tell others were too, so I'd thought i'd help since there didn't seem to be much activity surrounding this phone for tweaks.

I just came across this post at xda concerning unlocking (i think sim?) but wasn't successful without contacting a service center with JTAGs but, still got out of it diag menu:
Help! How to unlock LG Fathom? Did anybody made it? - xda-developers
Quote:
Step 01:

With the slide open, tap Phone, press # # 7 7 6 4 7 2 6 7 5 0

Step 02:

Service Code: ______ displays, enter 6 digit code (default: 000000)
Up to this point now the diags are accessible, the rest of the steps are for supposedly programming the phone..
Quote:
Step 03:

Tap Service Prg

Step 04:

Display now shows the following fields on screen (read display from left to right (see screen shot 1 for example):

MEID

ESN

MDN

MIN

HOME SID

NAM Name

Security Code

Step 05:

Tap in MDN field, use DEL (backspace) key on keyboard to removing existing information and enter 10 digit MDN

Step 06:

Tap in MIN field, use DEL (backspace) on keyboard to removing existing information and enter 10 digit MDN

Step 07:

Tap in "Home SID" field, use backspace key to remove existing information and enter SID,i.e. 20=CHI, 6=NSE

Step 08:

Tap Save, tap OK

Step 09:
Tap OK on right side of screen PROGRAMMING COMPLETE - device will restart automatically."

Last edited by eatbuckshot; 01-16-2011 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I wasn't aware that there was an update available thanks cac2us,

I was having trouble finding out what the update brought so if anyone cares to know here's some info from verizon on the update:
http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/fathom.pdf

I was reading around at lgforums and some people didn't really like the new update as they claimed it add more arcsoft powermobia stuff, I hear that they replaced the native windows alarms app and it might have some bugs. It also seems to have gotten rid of the music control for the lock screen.

Though most notably it now has a more feature full home screen allowing widgets and apps on 5 screens and it now has a 3g hotspot program that just uses the unlimited data and incurs no fees (according to people at lg forum)
http://www.lgforum.com/forum/boards/...ool-no-verizon

here's some photos of v7:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2650768...0411/lightbox/

Last edited by eatbuckshot; 01-16-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom VS750V7

trysomeothertime is becoming a great contributor

eatbuckshot, thank you for posting the tweaks! It is an absolute joy texting with the native Windows program as opposed to the crappy Arcsoft. I also removed the program from the start menu, and it has not come up since. Also VERY helpful that there is no sound on startup.

In addition, my phone is more stable now...There are less occurances of programs closing by themselves (though still present).

Again thank you very much!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 02:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom, Palm T|X, MotoQ9c, Jornada 567

pizzaboy192 is keeping up the good workpizzaboy192 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to pizzaboy192 Send a message via MSN to pizzaboy192 Send a message via Skype™ to pizzaboy192

Applied most of the tweaks listed. As much as I dislike the Arcsoft SMS\MMS app, I still like MMS, so I'll stick with it until I find a replacement. (maybe find a way to use arcsoft for just MMS's and tMail\Poutlook for SMS?)
A few more tweaks (mostly to get around the random apps closing issue)
AutoClosePatch from XDA [24.02.2010] AutoClosePatch 1.1 - xda-developers is nice, lets you run more programs. I would suggest "Ultra settings" for maximum multitasking.
I replaced the task manager with "ArkSwitch" which seems to work wonders with it.
Installed SRS audio driver, able to up the output levels so that it works with the line-in in my car.
Installed BattLineSVC so you can see how much juice your battery has left with an un-obtrusive line at the top of your screen.
there's a few more, but for now that's what I use.
QuickGPS works now with Google Maps, so that speeds things up A BUNCH with GPS settings. Waze works well too (turn-by-turn directions) but Google Maps has better location finding abilities.
Just some ideas.

Anyone tried custom Titanium panels yet? I can't get Taskanium working.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Send a message via AIM to pizzaboy192 Send a message via MSN to pizzaboy192 Send a message via Skype™ to pizzaboy192

Found out something interesting about MMS: WinMO6.5 DOES NOT come with an MMS client by default. Disabling PowerMobia disables the MMS part of it too, so you need just an MMS app.
Arcsoft has one.
Getting MMS to work with WM 6.5... - xda-developers
anyone with a Fathom want to try this if they've already removed the PowerMobia? I haven't yet, but if this works, I might as well. May even roll up the .reg's and this arcsoft into a "Remove the Arcsoft crap SMS program" cab.
Let me know if it works.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG VS750 (Fathom)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Walt is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatbuckshot View Post
It would be nice to get quickgps working
I second that request, and wonder if anyone has been successful yet?

I tried QuickGPS and many similar WM apps, and could not get any of them to work on my Fathom.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I second that request, and wonder if anyone has been successful yet?

I tried QuickGPS and many similar WM apps, and could not get any of them to work on my Fathom.
I have QuickGPS working just fine on my Fathom. I use GoogleMaps and Waze and both work just fine with QuickGPS.
When you run QuickGPS, does it error out, or does it just appear to not lock on to a sat?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > LG Fathom

Tags
default winmo sms, disable powermobia, disable startup animation