PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: WM 6.5
Carrier: Verizon

deltagamer is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Android Froyo 2.2

I'm just posting this so everyone knows that it exists and is a far better OS than WM... I've been using a flashed NAND version of android for over a year. Froyo 2.2 is great. Here are the links to a tutorial to install and the link to the files.

Tut: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=636024
Froyo2.2: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=712310
NBH File: http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/files/?C=M;O=D

Enjoy.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Incredible
Carrier: Sprint Sero Baby!!!

gedster314 is keeping up the good workgedster314 is keeping up the good work
Re: Android Froyo 2.2

Hey neighbor. I have to agree that Android is better the WinMo but I found 2.2 to be a little slow especially if you are multitasking on the Vogue. Warm Donut had better performance. Even overclocked to 520MHZ didn't help with Froyo. I ended up finally giving up on the Vogue for going to an Incredible. 2.2 is much better when when you have Mhz to spare.

I do like occasionally popping in to the Vogue groups to see how development is going. The Vogue will always have a special place in my heart. There is something about the form factor that I love. In class or at work I always ended up fondling it and flipping it around in my hand.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6900
Carrier: VZW

bigboy292000 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Android Froyo 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltagamer View Post
I'm just posting this so everyone knows that it exists and is a far better OS than WM... I've been using a flashed NAND version of android for over a year. Froyo 2.2 is great. Here are the links to a tutorial to install and the link to the files.

Tut: Easiest Step-By-Step Android Tutorial for the Vogue (NAND Method/Internal Memory) - xda-developers
Froyo2.2: Incubus26Jc's Super FroYo 2.2 [Deodexed] [RLS15] [9/3/10] All Languages - xda-developers
NBH File: Index of /vogue/files

Enjoy.
So I keep hearing how Android is great so few days ago I went and installed it on another Vogue that I have.

I think you need to define what "far better OS" means?

I am actually glad I tried this, and plan to sticking out with it for few more days. IMO, a stable WM 6.5.3 is more useable than Android 2.2, at least on Vogue. "Far better"? Maybe that means "with far larger marketplace"? Then that is true. But otherwise - not really IMO...

- it does not boot up any faster than WM
- you have to manage applications w. some sort of task manager, the same as with WM (actually, IMO it's worse on Android, as the phone seems to crawl with only 3-4 apps open)
- you can't change the home page for browser? Really? It says it changes it, but it still goes to Google?
- wanted to use the camera - sorry can't do unless I have an SD card (which I took out after flashing and put it back into a camera)...
- I had multiple apps simply not run after downloading them from marketplace
- Once I installed Android 2.2, this was the first time since a looong time that I had to start using stylus for a few things
- Android obviously lies to my corp Exchange server that it follows the pin lock policy, when it is not. So now I have corp data on the phone but no pin lock; good job, Google!

Few more days. I am really trying to like this but I just don't see it, not on Vogue. And yes - I overclocked it. Again, I am glad to have tried it but I don't see what the big deal is. You have to tinker with this even more than with WM 6.5.3 it seems?

EDIT: after a few more days...

- I have to reset my phone at least once a day, sometimes 2-3 times. It just locks up hard with black screen and that's it
- Battery life, compared to WinMo - is terrible; even with all email accounts set to manual, I feel like different applications still call home very often. I turned off automatic sync for apps in Sync options too??
- GPS does not work (did under WinMo)
- Apparently, Android market has no smarts to make sure that the app you download will work on your device resolution; downloaded a few that were too big for the phone.

I generally do NOT have complaints about OS speed though. Continuing the experiment...

FINAL EDIT:

I threw in the towel and went back to WinMo. It was just too much work for what it's worth. It was an interesting experiment but Android (at least on Vogue) needs some more major baking to reach the stability of WinMo 6.5. (shrug!)

(Vogue, now don't you die on me before WZV starts carrying WP7!)

Last edited by bigboy292000; 10-05-2010 at 10:03 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue