PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 08:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: imagio
Carrier: verizon

jerliz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Newbie seeking information about Google Maps

You can tell when a newbie hits the board with a new Phone! Former IPAQ user and I would never go back. Some of my students however, who also have the Imagio are asking me why I would prefer Bing vs Google when it comes to using the GPS on the device.

I have figured out out how Bing is loaded and works with the GPS on my device. Can any one direct me to a post herein or elsewhere ... or if you have time and patience respond to the question of Google vs Bing when using the GPS on the Imagio.

Thanks
Jer
Old 08-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

thepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuff
Re: Newbie seeking information about Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerliz View Post
You can tell when a newbie hits the board with a new Phone! Former IPAQ user and I would never go back. Some of my students however, who also have the Imagio are asking me why I would prefer Bing vs Google when it comes to using the GPS on the device.

I have figured out out how Bing is loaded and works with the GPS on my device. Can any one direct me to a post herein or elsewhere ... or if you have time and patience respond to the question of Google vs Bing when using the GPS on the Imagio.

Thanks
Jer
Easy - Bing is a M$ product and the Imagio is running M$ software. Bing brings spoken turn by turn navigation to the Imagio with street names included.

Google has not been so generous. Android devices get navigation (spoken turn by turn). WinMo gets maps only with written directions.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: imagio
Carrier: verizon
Threadstarter

jerliz is a n00b

Thank you ... that's clear enough. That is why Mapopolis was such a popular program with me. So Bing it is, and, I'll recommend it to my students. Appreciate it 'polishguy'.
Jer
Old 08-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

thepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuff

The Bing thing can be kinda tricky. If you are running a stock rom - you might get stuck with a "Bing for Verizon" that does not offer navigation - only the gay Vz Nav (no offense to my gay friends). It happened to me recently when I was testing a rom. this .cab I think is the latest in their releases that worked for me...

I uploaded from Dropbox and have had some issues with that so let me know if this does not work.
Attached Files
File Type: cab Bing update.CAB (2.58 MB, 8 views) Click for barcode!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel 6800 > Touch Pro > Imagio>Droid Razr
Carrier: Alltel>Verizon

mastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I have also found that Google is not so accurate as to the street address' actual location on the maps. It can be off quite a bit.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6850 (HTC Touch Pro)

jsimmons is a n00b

I got google maps to work fine on my Imagio, no mods needed. I have GPS managed by Windows, and you'll need to make sure your Google Maps is set up to use windows management of the GPS. Mine didn't work until after I installed the BING for Verizon and had it to make the LOCATION available. I already had the location ON and the HTC Location ON. Also, I'm using the latest Google Maps download from m.google.com/maps . Not sure if you have anything older or not.

Hope this helps
Old 09-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
I got google maps to work fine on my Imagio, no mods needed. I have GPS managed by Windows, and you'll need to make sure your Google Maps is set up to use windows management of the GPS. Mine didn't work until after I installed the BING for Verizon and had it to make the LOCATION available. I already had the location ON and the HTC Location ON. Also, I'm using the latest Google Maps download from m.google.com/maps . Not sure if you have anything older or not.

Hope this helps
The question is not, "Does google maps work fine on the Imagio." Yes google maps works fine on the Imagio. The question is does google navigation work on the Imagio? The difference between maps and navigation is spoken turn by turn directions with street names. Bing does that for me. Google does not.

So are you saying that google navigation works for you? Or that just plain old maps works for you?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Q9M > HTC Vouge > HTC Imagio > Droid X2

coolpoete is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoolpoete is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoolpoete is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepolishguy View Post
The question is not, "Does google maps work fine on the Imagio." Yes google maps works fine on the Imagio. The question is does google navigation work on the Imagio? The difference between maps and navigation is spoken turn by turn directions with street names. Bing does that for me. Google does not.

So are you saying that google navigation works for you? Or that just plain old maps works for you?
I think it's important to specify differences between programs here:

- There was a very old version of "Google Navigator" that featured turn by turn navigation for Windows Mobile. Google has NOT updated this application. I would not recommend this app to anyone.
- Google has updated "Google Maps" for Android (and maybe Blackberry / Iphone?) that features turn-by-turn navigation.
- The Google Maps that is currently available for Windows Mobile does NOT have turn by turn navigation.
- Bing has turn by turn navigation and is the best free turn by turn navigation app for Windows Mobile currently.
- Stedysoft FullDeck R14 -> Notes/bugs/tips HERE

Last edited by coolpoete; 09-02-2010 at 11:11 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio