PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

CasopoliS is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Custom ROM support for Intrepid?

I am on the hunt for a new cell phone. I am limited on my options with my Sprint SERO plan... so I want to buy the best phone I can that is compatible with SERO. The TP2 is too expensive for my blood, so that leaves the Treo Pro, a Samsung Intrepid, or something older like a TP1, Touch/Vogue.

I can renew my contract and get the full discounts on phones, so that means I can get the first two options listed above for about $150 right now.. brand new. So those seem to be winning the battle now. It seems to be a toss up between them. I think they both have their pros and cons.

Onto my question - will there be custom ROM development for the Samsung Intrepid? I know there are ROMs out there for the Treo Pro, so that is nice to know. If they were coming to the Intrepid, that would be a bonus for the Intrepid.

I am still undecided on the phone I want - I guess that is another topic. I have a Palm Centro currently. All in all I have been happy with my Palm products, but they a moving to webOS so I am not sure what that means for future support. Samsung is not HTC, so I am not sure how well they will perform over time or how that will affect ROM development.

Thoughts?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

CasopoliS is a n00b
Re: Custom ROM support for Intrepid?

Another thought is... with the Intrepid processor and RAM, perhaps someone can port over WM7 in the future? If WM7 could run on the intrepid that would be nice.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

There is a huge developer community for HTC devices; there is essentially no developer community for the Intrepid, so I think it would be very unlikely for any custom ROM development to take place for this device. That said, if anyone is working on it, don't be shy, let us know!

After looking at the W7 demos, I'm not sure I'd even want to try it on a 320x240 screen. I think it would just be really annoying, if it was supported at all. And it most certainly won't be supported by Samsung.

If you like the slider format, I think the Touch Pro 1 is a better phone than the Intrepid. It certainly has more/better features - g-sensor, much larger screen with higher resolution to name a couple - but it is thicker and requires the slider for the keyboard. Battery life is not as good as the Intrepid, though, and it's not a world phone like the Intrepid is. On the plus side, you can install any number of 6.5 builds on the Touch Pro 1, of course, with more recent builds and cool features like Manila and Rhodium notifications that you can't get on the Intrepid. You can whittle away entire weeks of your life flashing ROMs on the Touch Pro 1, LOL.

In terms of Intrepid vs. Treo Pro, most people seem to prefer the Intrepid over the Treo Pro from what I've read around here.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: Boost Mobile

jac1599 is just getting started

Microsoft has said WinMo7 has a minimum res of wvga. And like haus said...it would be unusable on a small screen like the Intrepid.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

CasopoliS is a n00b

Thanks for the input guys, you have been a big help!
Perhaps I can find someone on here wanting to upgrade their TP1
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid