PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 04:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

wizardknight is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Force Roaming on Sprint TP2 W/andriod

I just picked up a used Touch Pro 2 the other day, and so far I am liking the Android experience. I have one issue that I need to solve regarding roaming. I live in an apartment where I only get a half bar of signal from sprint if I am lucky or 2-3 bars roaming. It is just enough Sprint signal to bounce me back and forth between roaming and not. This kills the battery, and I miss calls because of it.

In WM I can force roaming roaming with an app or reg edit. I can't find anything that will let me force roaming.

I did try roam control 1.6, and while it didn't give me any errors it didn't seem to work either.

I am running FRX07.1 off my sd card.

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: Force Roaming on Sprint TP2 W/andriod

Dunno if this'll work but..

Roam Control | AppBrain Android Market
Old 09-22-2011, 05:00 PM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Dunno if this'll work but..

Roam Control | AppBrain Android Market
Op said he/she tried roam control and it didn't seem to work?
When you selected roam it should go into roam and give the triangle symbol by the signal meter, did that not happen?

Sent from an Epic 3G using ppcgeeks.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
When you selected roam it should go into roam and give the triangle symbol by the signal meter, did that not happen?
Crap... I feel dumb. I read that quickly as if the OP tried a 1.6 build of Android... I should focus on one task at a time, my fault!

From all my googlings on this topic, that seems to be the only solution. There seems to be no 'built-in' way to control roaming in Android.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post

Sent from an Epic 3G using ppcgeeks.
I did get a triangle, but it also still showed that I was in 3G.
My signal strength still showed 0 bars, and under Settings>about>status> Roaming shows Not roaming.

I should get at least 1-2bars roaming or a change in signal strength.

When the phone switches to roaming on it's own I see -95dBm, and Settings>about>status> Roaming shows Roaming.

Otherwise I am seeing -125ish. 95 gets the job done, but 125 will miss calls and is useless for talking.

As a random related FYI. I did notice is that if I force roaming on the WM side, and then boot into android it seems to stick. The down side is that I don't seem to get TXT messages in that configuration. Also if I go settings>wireless> mobile network settings>cdma options>system select> and then select any option it forces it out of the roaming mode.

*update* upon further testing it looks like I am geting txts when using this config. Still you have to reboot the phone anytime you want to change the roaming mode if you use this method. Better than nothing, but painful.

If I am missing something please point it out. If Roam control requires mulit-reboots, and a special dance to work I am glad to break out my voodoo skirt.

Last edited by wizardknight; 09-22-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Crap... I feel dumb. I read that quickly as if the OP tried a 1.6 build of Android... I should focus on one task at a time, my fault!

From all my googlings on this topic, that seems to be the only solution. There seems to be no 'built-in' way to control roaming in Android.
Google is my friend, that is why when I couldn't find the answer there I gave these forums a try .

Last edited by wizardknight; 09-22-2011 at 05:38 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2