PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 04:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Verizon

machek is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lost Keyboard functionality- Anyone else ever experiance this?

So I've been running FRX 07 and occasionally I would get a problem where my keyboard, as it was slid out, sometimes wouldnt respond. The problem usually fixed itself, or if I would "scan and repair" the SD card, it would boot normally and the keyboard would work. As of last week, I cant get it to work at all. I've tried to ask Aarrrgghh a bunch of questions in PM becuase he usually answers them anyway, but nothing has worked and he hasnt heard of this issue before, so I'm turning to everyone else.

The problem: When the keyboard is slid out, it freezes the phone completely, not even loading the landscape orientation. Therefor, pressing anything on the keyboard also does not respond. The only way to get it to respond is if I slide the keyboard half out, and then it orients itself all the way like its working fine. However you obviously cant use it that way. Also the g sensor is working because if I'm in texts, and turn it sideways, it does orient itself into landscape (but opening the keyboard also locks it again). Aaarrrgghh suggested it may be hardware, however in Winmo, the keyboard works flawlessly.

Some things I've tried: I have tried reformatting the SD and reinstalling, a copy of my FRX 07 files. I have tried 3 different SD cards. I have tried to update to all the newest files. I have tried to revert back to the original FRX07 initrd, module, rootfs, system, and zimage file, and that was the only thing that made it start working for 2 to 3 hours, then it failed again. The only thing I did from that time till it failed was charge it and texted some people. I have also tried starting from scratch from a new FRX07 build on a newly formatted SD card and it still doesnt work.

So now I'm pretty much convinced that it is hardware, but how the hell does it work perfect in windows, but fails to work in android??? Has anyone else ever seen this happen? Any solutions?? Any Ideas on things I can try?? I really want this to work, I love this phone, I love having android, and I love my keyboard. I want all three!! Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-14-2011, 10:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2!
Carrier: Jog PCS

steveoski is keeping up the good worksteveoski is keeping up the good work
Re: Lost Keyboard functionality- Anyone else ever experiance this?

why dont you just do a warranty exchange on your phone? its one phone call away and you get a fancy like-new model, but if you were like me mine was 1 and a half yrs old so im sure the like-new one i got was newer than the one i gave them. good luck!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoski View Post
why dont you just do a warranty exchange on your phone? its one phone call away and you get a fancy like-new model, but if you were like me mine was 1 and a half yrs old so im sure the like-new one i got was newer than the one i gave them. good luck!
I bought my phone on October of 09, without a warranty. So thats pretty much out of the question. I will probably wait till the HTC Vigor comes out, but I'd rather have this thing working right. I just dont get how the keyboard works perfect in Windows, but not in Android.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

So I installed Fox's test Kernel from the posts about speeding up your TP2 with new module, zimage and haret, and the keyboard started working. However its hit or miss now, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. And when it doesnt it only needs to be slid a quarter of an inch down rather then half way down for it to respond. My guess is something with my phone is not communicating whether the keyboard is slid out or not, and for some reason the modules etc may effect it. Can anyone figure out what the issue may be from my limited info?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by machek View Post
So I installed Fox's test Kernel from the posts about speeding up your TP2 with new module, zimage and haret, and the keyboard started working. However its hit or miss now, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. And when it doesnt it only needs to be slid a quarter of an inch down rather then half way down for it to respond. My guess is something with my phone is not communicating whether the keyboard is slid out or not, and for some reason the modules etc may effect it. Can anyone figure out what the issue may be from my limited info?
Everything you point to sounds like hardware bro... I honestly do not know what else it could be.

I know you said it doesn't happen in WinMo, so perhaps Android does do something different for keyboard detection, but the truth of the matter is it works for everyone else... Sorry.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Everything you point to sounds like hardware bro... I honestly do not know what else it could be.

I know you said it doesn't happen in WinMo, so perhaps Android does do something different for keyboard detection, but the truth of the matter is it works for everyone else... Sorry.
I get that, and I agree. I was just hoping there was an easy way to alter the way android detects the keyboard, or if there was a way around it. But I also get that no one is really gonna spend hours to look for a way to fix MY issue, because no one else is experiencing it. I was just hoping maybe someone knew of a way around, but sounds like I'm out of luck. Oh well, I guess there's always swype.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by machek View Post
I get that, and I agree. I was just hoping there was an easy way to alter the way android detects the keyboard, or if there was a way around it. But I also get that no one is really gonna spend hours to look for a way to fix MY issue, because no one else is experiencing it. I was just hoping maybe someone knew of a way around, but sounds like I'm out of luck. Oh well, I guess there's always swype.
Hah, indeed.

I'll ask, but I wouldn't expect any grand answer/solution. This is a very odd issue indeed... Perhaps there is some difference in the way keyboard slide detection occurs... So there's hope.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2