PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
USB Tethering **Native**

So hyc has fixed native USB tethering... the newest kernel (as of this post, 1306) has the fix baked in.

However, on my machine @ work (WinXP, SP3) the drivers don't jive. Just keeps telling me that it's unable to install this software.

I naturally did some Googling. This Google page seems to be the answer for XP - however, it still doesn't work. I looked at the INF file, and it seems to have our vendor ID for HTC (0BB4) but I didn't see any product ID's that matched our build (0C01). Note - I got this info from device manager. I tried shoehorning an entry for our device into the INF, but no dice...

So Windows driver gurus - what am I missing? It seems the RNDIS drivers I need should be built-into SP3 (I see some people having issues with anything less than SP3...) and the device shows up in Device Manager as CDC ACM Data and CDC Abstract Control Model (ACM) - I just need to figure out what Windows requires to properly install/communicate with this device. Any help would be appreciated!

PS - I'm pretty sure native USB tethering will now work with all OSes, I only have WinXP to test at work. I'll try Win7 and Linux when I get home... I'm betting Linux will work without much fuss, not sure about 7...

Last edited by arrrghhh; 05-04-2011 at 11:27 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC G1, TP2
Carrier: T-Mobile

highlandsun is keeping up the good workhighlandsun is keeping up the good workhighlandsun is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: USB Tethering **Native**

It's working fine on my Linux laptop but it refused to play along with my WinXPSP2 install inside a VirtualBox. I've done some comparisons against my G1 and our stuff seems to be getting some device IDs wrong, which is probably one reason the Windows drivers are failing. Need to look into it some more.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Thanks highlandsun. I did a little bit of testing on Linux at home, but had some issues with adb - hopefully I'll get that working tonight to really test it. I'm sure it does work now tho, as the icon is now showing up correctly in the notification bar.

Let me know what you find on Windoze. Might be good to note, according to http://www.android.com/tether, if you're running WinXP it either must be SP3, or you need a hotfix for SP2 to fix the RNDIS drivers. It's in the comments, Google makes no mention of it in their USB tethering how-to. Obviously that's for native devices...
Old 05-05-2011, 05:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Thanks for the heads up. I would love using usb tethering with my viewsonic g tablet so I don't drain my Tp2 battery. Do you know if jonpry's SCBS support made it to the mainline kernel yet?

Sent from my HYCed FRX06 TP2 using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndno View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I would love using usb tethering with my viewsonic g tablet so I don't drain my Tp2 battery. Do you know if jonpry's SCBS support made it to the mainline kernel yet?
Uh... What? I don't know what SCBS has to do with USB tethering... I'm trying to figure out what I need to get it working in Windows...

At any rate, SCBS has not been integrated as of yet. It only works on RHODs, and we support many more devices...
Old 05-05-2011, 06:06 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Uh... What? I don't know what SCBS has to do with USB tethering... I'm trying to figure out what I need to get it working in Windows...

At any rate, SCBS has not been integrated as of yet. It only works on RHODs, and we support many more devices...
Didn't mean to be off topic... was just asking.

Sent from my HYCed FRX06 TP2 using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndno View Post
Didn't mean to be off topic... was just asking.
Would've been more at home in the dedicated SCBS thread .

I'd really like to get native USB tethering working, as EasyTether sucks. Hence this thread. I was just confused as to why you were asking a SCBS-related question in my USB tethering thread .
Old 05-06-2011, 01:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6700, PPC6800, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Epic 4G
Carrier: Boost

ExpletiveDeleted001 is just getting started

I'm just a N00B.. but i tether my TP2 on android with a free app called PDAnet.. Works great.. I know it's not a *Native* solution... but thought it might help someone.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpletiveDeleted001 View Post
I'm just a N00B.. but i tether my TP2 on android with a free app called PDAnet.. Works great.. I know it's not a *Native* solution... but thought it might help someone.
In the FAQ I also mention EasyTether works, and is free... but I'd prefer to get the native form workin. hyc seems to have some ideas, as usual .
Old 05-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

hyc did indeed figure it out - 20110506_232639 (aka 1313) has the fix!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2