PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II
Carrier: Sprint

Magoo_215 is keeping up the good workMagoo_215 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help picking a Android rom please!!!

When it comes to roms I know nothing about it, I had trouble updating to windows 6.5 so... but what I am askin is, can someone suggest a good Android rom for me with minimal problems to it, I plan on keeping this same rom for a while ... and go step from step with me?
Old 04-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: Help picking a Android rom please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo_215 View Post
When it comes to roms I know nothing about it, I had trouble updating to windows 6.5 so... but what I am askin is, can someone suggest a good Android rom for me with minimal problems to it, I plan on keeping this same rom for a while ... and go step from step with me?
There aren't any Android ROMs yet. If you had problems updating WinMo, Android is not ready for you - no offense, but Android is far from easy, and still under heavy development.

With that said, FRX06 works great for me - the first post takes you thru all you need.

The reason I say there's no ROMs is everything for Android is run off of the SD card - so no flashing required.

Also, there's still quite a few bugs in Android - no matter which build you get. So I would say Android is close to being able to replace WinMo, but there's still quite a few things missing/broken - and if you need/want those things that are broken/missing, Android is not for you yet. Not full time at least.

I would at least play around with an Android build to see what you think. Just be warned, there are going to be bumps in the road!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: sprint

smurphdog is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
There aren't any Android ROMs yet. If you had problems updating WinMo, Android is not ready for you - no offense, but Android is far from easy, and still under heavy development.

With that said, FRX06 works great for me - the first post takes you thru all you need.

The reason I say there's no ROMs is everything for Android is run off of the SD card - so no flashing required.

Also, there's still quite a few bugs in Android - no matter which build you get. So I would say Android is close to being able to replace WinMo, but there's still quite a few things missing/broken - and if you need/want those things that are broken/missing, Android is not for you yet. Not full time at least.

I would at least play around with an Android build to see what you think. Just be warned, there are going to be bumps in the road!
So if I am doing basic things like texting, calling, browsing the web occasionally, messing with widgets and homescreens, using FRX06 would work fine for me? Also, is FRX06 laggy or slow? And what do you mean that there are a few things missing/broken? Last question, are their any other builds that work better than FRX06?

I guess my main question is are there any builds that can be used on a daily basis without major issues and major headaches?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by smurphdog; 05-12-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphdog View Post
So if I am doing basic things like texting, calling, browsing the web occasionally, messing with widgets and homescreens, using FRX06 would work fine for me? Also, is FRX06 laggy or slow? And what do you mean that there are a few things missing/broken? Last question, are their any other builds that work better than FRX06?

I guess my main question is are there any builds that can be used on a daily basis without major issues and major headaches?
Thanks in advance!
Really up to you. Some people can tolerate things broken (BT is probably the most major one) or things breaking at random (stuff does blow up on occasion) and other's can't.

It doesn't hurt the phone in any way, shape or form - why don't you try it at least? Make your own decision.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: sprint

smurphdog is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Really up to you. Some people can tolerate things broken (BT is probably the most major one) or things breaking at random (stuff does blow up on occasion) and other's can't.

It doesn't hurt the phone in any way, shape or form - why don't you try it at least? Make your own decision.
Thanks for getting back to me!

What do you mean stuff blows up on occasion?

Is the battery status accurate on FRX06?
Old 05-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphdog View Post
Thanks for getting back to me!

What do you mean stuff blows up on occasion?

Is the battery status accurate on FRX06?
Stuff blows up... some things cause reboots to WinMo, others cause the phone to lock up...

They not frequent, but they are annoying bugs nonetheless.

Battery meter isn't so accurate, SCBS is improving it - not to say the battery is horrible, but it does bounce around quite a bit when under a load.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:39 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: iiNet/Optus

ryannathans is a n00b

IMHO arrrghhh is close to the truth.

The only part I would touch up is that a half functioning android port that crashes twice a day is still more stable than WinMo and I would willingly trade my WinMo for a half functioning android device any day. WinMo doesn't work at the best of times.

Now with xdandroid's current status I have LESS problems than I do with WinMo. I only use WinMo to boot xdandroid now.

Only problems I am frustrated with are random keyboard glitches (repeating characters) and no bluetooth (yet ) This is FAR LESS than WinMo.

Android for the future!

Android > iOS > WinMo > Symbian (nokia)

Last edited by ryannathans; 05-13-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:21 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: Simple Mobile

Kane3162 knows their stuffKane3162 knows their stuffKane3162 knows their stuffKane3162 knows their stuffKane3162 knows their stuffKane3162 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to Kane3162 Send a message via MSN to Kane3162 Send a message via Yahoo to Kane3162 Send a message via Skype™ to Kane3162

I could swear there was a NAND version of android... (SD ftl)...

but yea, the search for a perfection will continue forever...

also... I fixed this for my personal likings :P

Android > WinMo6.5 > Palm(Clie UX50) > iOS > WinPhone7 > Symbian (nokia)

Old 05-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane3162 View Post
I could swear there was a NAND version of android... (SD ftl)..
There is...

NAND Boot Testing - it's just not very stable, and AFAIK still only works properly on CDMA devices. Lots of work to be done on NAND, and there's only a couple of devs working on it...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2