PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 03:57 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: Simple Mobile

Kane3162 knows their stuffKane3162 knows their stuffKane3162 knows their stuffKane3162 knows their stuffKane3162 knows their stuffKane3162 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Kane3162 Send a message via MSN to Kane3162 Send a message via Yahoo to Kane3162 Send a message via Skype™ to Kane3162
Exclamation [Q] GFX Performance...

I havent seen any good posts on this... so I will ask here...

The WM GFX performance sucks for lack of proper drivers...

So can anyone who has played with HARET and the NAND alternatives tell me (of similar builds) how the GFX performance is in comparison?

I am all or going 100% Android as it is, but I really want to know how much better/worse/same GFX performance is going to be! (sort of a "what to expect" primer)...

I guess if I had to ask of a good comparison item, I like to play my old PS1 games on my TP2, but as you all know, WM drivers blow hardcore... so since there are programs for WM and Android, id like to know (and any others you know of that span both platforms that would be good for comparison, like video playback even!) the 411

Last edited by Kane3162; 04-13-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: [Q] GFX Performance...

All I can say is, try it! What do you have to lose? It runs off the SD, you don't need HSPL... it doesn't even touch WinMo.

Graphics performance isn't stellar - the hardware is old... Even with proper drivers (which ours may not be 'proper' yet...) our hardware doesn't support OpenGLES2.0 for example...

So no matter how much work is put into the driver side of things, the hardware is going to severely limit any chance of the device being useful for gaming.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Kane3162 knows their stuffKane3162 knows their stuffKane3162 knows their stuffKane3162 knows their stuffKane3162 knows their stuffKane3162 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to Kane3162 Send a message via MSN to Kane3162 Send a message via Yahoo to Kane3162 Send a message via Skype™ to Kane3162

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
All I can say is, try it! What do you have to lose? It runs off the SD, you don't need HSPL... it doesn't even touch WinMo.

Graphics performance isn't stellar - the hardware is old... Even with proper drivers (which ours may not be 'proper' yet...) our hardware doesn't support OpenGLES2.0 for example...

So no matter how much work is put into the driver side of things, the hardware is going to severely limit any chance of the device being useful for gaming.
true, but bypass's my point entirely, sans the driverpacks out their, my WM performance for GFX is near the same level as my HTC Titan... ergo the question...
Old 04-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane3162 View Post
true, but bypass's my point entirely, sans the driverpacks out their, my WM performance for GFX is near the same level as my HTC Titan... ergo the question...
What is stopping you from trying it?

You're making a mountain out of a molehill IMHO.

GFX performance sucks, no matter how you slice it - this phone just wasn't built for it. Devs have done their best to eek out performance, and there's probably a little bit more room for improvement - but there's only so far you can go with limited hardware.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
What is stopping you from trying it?

You're making a mountain out of a molehill IMHO.

GFX performance sucks, no matter how you slice it - this phone just wasn't built for it. Devs have done their best to eek out performance, and there's probably a little bit more room for improvement - but there's only so far you can go with limited hardware.
not really, just asking for other experienced peoples... experiences... if you dont have experience, no need for you to post, simple as that, but if i was at my PERSONAL pc to be able to do this kind of testing I would, you ASS U ME to much...
Old 04-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane3162 View Post
not really, just asking for other experienced peoples... experiences... if you dont have experience, no need for you to post, simple as that, but if i was at my PERSONAL pc to be able to do this kind of testing I would, you ASS U ME to much...
Wow.

I guess I assume that you can handle dropping some files onto your SD card. Perhaps I do assume too much.

I do have experience, but your question is kinda silly. So expect silly answers, and try not to be a dick. Enjoy!
Old 04-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Wow.

I guess I assume that you can handle dropping some files onto your SD card. Perhaps I do assume too much.

I do have experience, but your question is kinda silly. So expect silly answers, and try not to be a dick. Enjoy!
id say take your own advice, but I just remembered that dicks dont have ears

and again, its a valid question, just because you think its silly doesnt make it so, troll elseware
Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff

It's a little hard to make the comparison, since I'm not sure what to compare. The UI's are about equivalent in smoothness, but WinMo Sense and Android launcher aren't really a direct comparison.

Video playback is difficult to compare, because most video formats are borked in Android. Youtube plays back in non-HQ mode perfectly, but HQ mode is borked.

I never ran any emulators on WinMo, but under GBX NES games play smoothly, under FRX they do not. Based on the fact that you're talking about PS1 games playing under WinMo, it sounds like WinMo graphics drivers are much, much more powerful.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ppc-6800
Carrier: sprint

AkumaX is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

did HTC ever implement winmo 3D drivers for TP2? anyone remember the HTC Kaiser fiasco
Old 04-14-2011, 03:02 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaX View Post
did HTC ever implement winmo 3D drivers for TP2? anyone remember the HTC Kaiser fiasco
nope... not as far as i know at least, i just only re-unboxed mine a week ago, then again, i havent used it since October-November~ of last year, I hear there is like 2 or 3 new revisions out for different carriers ( Verizon rev3 i think, and one more... dont remember)... meh

ill try to bench a few different FPS marks on the PS EMU's when i get to my personal PC next week... fun stuff!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2