PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

lemeiux1 is keeping up the good worklemeiux1 is keeping up the good worklemeiux1 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ADB in Ubuntu 10.10

Ok so I'd really like to get adb up and running on my linux machine as I use ubuntu a lot more than windows (and am really thinking about completely replacing it altogether) but I cant find a tutorial on how to do this as they are all for windows. I tried following this guide: [GUIDE] Lazyman's installation guide to ADB on Ubuntu 10.10 - xda-developers but I get stuck at the part about permissions (shows adb device-> Permissions ??????? no matter what I do)

can anyone walk me through it or know of a guide I can use?

thanks a lot
Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: ADB in Ubuntu 10.10

That's the guide I link to in the FAQ...

Did you follow the udev rule part? It's... pretty important .

Also, to find this value - ATTRS{idVendor}=="####" - lsusb is all you need. Not sure why that post makes that part so complex...
Old 03-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

lemeiux1 is keeping up the good worklemeiux1 is keeping up the good worklemeiux1 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
That's the guide I link to in the FAQ...

Did you follow the udev rule part? It's... pretty important .

Also, to find this value - ATTRS{idVendor}=="####" - lsusb is all you need. Not sure why that post makes that part so complex...
hmm ok thanks for lsusb, but that gives me an ID of 0bb4, and when I replace that in the "####" (i.e. "0bb4") then execute:

$ sudo chmod a+rx /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules

and

$ sudo restart udev

then

$ ./adb devices

I still get the "????????? No permissions" I have no idea what im doing wrong because that is the right id??
Old 03-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemeiux1 View Post
hmm ok thanks for lsusb, but that gives me an ID of 0bb4, and when I replace that in the "####" (i.e. "0bb4") then execute:

$ sudo chmod a+rx /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules

and

$ sudo restart udev

then

$ ./adb devices

I still get the "????????? No permissions" I have no idea what im doing wrong because that is the right id??
Hrm, looks like you're doing it all correctly... did you kill adb and do sudo adb start-server as well...?

Edit - been a while since I've had to do this . I just tried it on my HTPC, and worked like a charm - however, I did get caught up in the same section, I just did a sudo ./adb kill-server then sudo ./adb start-server, then ./adb devices work. I'll point it out to the OP in that thread, might've just overlooked this step. Hope that works for you, thanks!

Eh on second thought, he does already mention killing and starting the server if you're still getting the permissions issue... So I don't think there's anything to point out . Gotta read thru those directions carefully!

Last edited by arrrghhh; 03-18-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Hrm, looks like you're doing it all correctly... did you kill adb and do sudo adb start-server as well...?

Edit - been a while since I've had to do this . I just tried it on my HTPC, and worked like a charm - however, I did get caught up in the same section, I just did a sudo ./adb kill-server then sudo ./adb start-server, then ./adb devices work. I'll point it out to the OP in that thread, might've just overlooked this step. Hope that works for you, thanks!

Eh on second thought, he does already mention killing and starting the server if you're still getting the permissions issue... So I don't think there's anything to point out . Gotta read thru those directions carefully!
ok so after a couple hours of banging my head against the wall I did manage to get it to work, im not sure exactly what was wrong but the kill/start server is def key. I edited my rules file to be -SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"- as per a youtube video lol and then killed and restarted the server and now im good to go

thanks a lot for the help man
Old 03-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemeiux1 View Post
ok so after a couple hours of banging my head against the wall I did manage to get it to work, im not sure exactly what was wrong but the kill/start server is def key. I edited my rules file to be -SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"- as per a youtube video lol and then killed and restarted the server and now im good to go

thanks a lot for the help man
np.

Just for your edification, I followed the guide to the T - that was the only 'hiccup' I ran into - and I was going to mention it to the OP of that guide, but if you read below he recommends killing and starting the adb server back up .
Old 03-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
np.

Just for your edification, I followed the guide to the T - that was the only 'hiccup' I ran into - and I was going to mention it to the OP of that guide, but if you read below he recommends killing and starting the adb server back up .
oh no I did do that the first time too, I think it was just a mistake in the gedit portion of the udev, but restarting of the server should be listed a little earlier in that guide, it would make it a little easier to follow I think

but regardless I can finally ditch stupid windows now lol thanks again

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2