PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 03:55 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint/Worldwide...Currently Iraq

Good Coffee is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
NAND-worldwide

Using the TP2 with sprint on a WW data plan, i use CDMA when im in the states, but when abroad the phone switches over to GSM on its own to utilize host countries data, whether that be edge, 3g or whatever.

I am tired of WinMo, it runs slowly, and i would prefer to not use the sd bootable droid os that still utilizes WinMo in conjunction.

I have been reading for a few days and it seems ACL and his crew have been working OT to get bugs worked out with the Froyo deal. My question is, if i am not an advanced user like a bunch of the folks here, and would just rather enjoy the Droid OS w/o winmo at all, is there a version i can use that i will not run into BIG problems? I use my phone for calls, data, texting... simple. But it has to be both CDMA and GSM compatible....

Complete newb question-sorry, but didnt see any other threads like this...
Old 03-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Flashaholic!
Pocket PC: Vogue->(TP2/Incredible 2/ThunderBolt)
Carrier: Verizon

Lmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIP
Thumbs down Re: NAND-worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Coffee View Post
Using the TP2 with sprint on a WW data plan, i use CDMA when im in the states, but when abroad the phone switches over to GSM on its own to utilize host countries data, whether that be edge, 3g or whatever.

I am tired of WinMo, it runs slowly, and i would prefer to not use the sd bootable droid os that still utilizes WinMo in conjunction.

I have been reading for a few days and it seems ACL and his crew have been working OT to get bugs worked out with the Froyo deal. My question is, if i am not an advanced user like a bunch of the folks here, and would just rather enjoy the Droid OS w/o winmo at all, is there a version i can use that i will not run into BIG problems? I use my phone for calls, data, texting... simple. But it has to be both CDMA and GSM compatible....

Complete newb question-sorry, but didnt see any other threads like this...
Currently there is no way for you to boot NAND with your SIM card in. ACL is looking to fix that soon.

Have you tried using HARET?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Re: NAND-worldwide

no sir, i dont have any interest in keeping winmo. when i do it, i would prefer to just have it happen once, unless of course there are issues... i read through the entire thread, you guys are putting in lots of work, props to you all.... will def buy coffee for ya'll once there is a somewhat plug n play application.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Why do I not have service?

The main reason for not having service would be the force_cdma setting in the startup.txt file. If you are using the phone as a GSM device, force_cdma=0 needs to be present in your cmdline with no other force_cdma statements! This is the default, so if you do not have a force_cdma= statement, the default value is 0. If you are using the device as CDMA, this needs to =1. The phone cannot be used as both currently - one or the other, choose wisely.

steal beungh payshant... n wreeding.... alot
Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Lurker
Carrier: Sprint

3050 is a n00b

Same boat as you Good Coffee anxiously waiting for a useable release for those that need worldphone capability. Although I'm pretty happy with Vin's Neodium and using the connection pack. Allows me to tether intl and domestic as long as I leave it in Global. Since the Arrive, arrived without worldphone capability I've been following the Android threads pretty closely.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3050 View Post
Same boat as you Good Coffee anxiously waiting for a useable release for those that need worldphone capability. Although I'm pretty happy with Vin's Neodium and using the connection pack. Allows me to tether intl and domestic as long as I leave it in Global. Since the Arrive, arrived without worldphone capability I've been following the Android threads pretty closely.
This capability would be lovely, but it's not going to be easy considering the number of native Android 'worldphones' (CDMA/GSM) is very few. Droid Pro and the Lexikon are all that come to mind...

So perhaps one day we'll be able to do both, but you can easily flip between them with Haret... Hopefully we'll figure out a slick way to switch inbetween them in NAND - perhaps just pulling the SIM would put it back in CDMA mode, and SIM in means GSM mode... not sure what will be worked out, but if we don't get true worldphone capabilities - as in being able to switch within Android, then the above will apply - you'll just have to do a simple reboot, change something like pulling the SIM, and bam your phone is switched.

Reason I say that is I doubt a lot of time will get spent on making the worldphone functionality work within Android - there's just too many other things that everyone uses like XTRA etc. that need working on before this feature is even looked at .

Edit - just confirmed with [ACL] that it will be ridiculously easy to flip between CDMA and GSM on NAND -
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ACL] View Post
its all detect and will be done by android and the recovery. So lets say ur ass for some reason wants to use gsm but u have a rhod 400. Well go to the recovery, advanced and boom force cdma. Cant get easier than that. Reboot and ur golden

edit: but this isnt done yet.. so ull have to wait :-p

Last edited by arrrghhh; 03-24-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:22 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Dell Axim x51v

slimbrown29 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3050 View Post
+1 on the Arrive's lack of GSM compatibility. I was really banking on that phone to be a World Phone (WP7 is sooo smooth). Now stuck with TP2 as there is now way I am going over to BB's.
Keep up the good work on the "Nand Boot" development. Thank you.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:37 AM
Lurker

3050 is a n00b

Hey thats really good news arrrhggg, so glad you confirmed it. No worries at all on the wait, I'm just glad ACL and the others in the know are willing to spend their time on this. Its appreciated.

slimbrown29, yep, no way I'm going BB either. However I was in Khabarovsk the other day and my colleague w/ BB had service and I didn't. Might have been an anomaly, I haven't looked to see if sprint has a deal there. You got any idea what our next hopeful worldphone will be?
Old 03-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post

Edit - just confirmed with [ACL] that it will be ridiculously easy to flip between CDMA and GSM on NAND -
outstanding sir!! coffees on me when its ready....
Old 04-02-2011, 02:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC G1, TP2
Carrier: T-Mobile

highlandsun is keeping up the good workhighlandsun is keeping up the good workhighlandsun is keeping up the good work
Actually, I've got world-phone switching worked out (just about) in my new ril.

Sent from my HTC Dream using Tapatalk

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2