PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 04:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Block Ads in Android Apps

EDIT: You don't need my instructions below unless you want to experiment. manekineko says is simpler just to download AdFree from the Market.

OK, I just tested this out and it works. Basically, listed below are the instructions to block ads from showing up in Android Apps (usually the free ones from the market). I found this trick by searching through Google.

Quote:
This modification blocks advertisements from being displayed on your phone as well as statistics data that may be collected by websites you visit. These statistics can include your location, browser type, device type, how long you’re on a web page, and more. This mod blocks that info from being sent as well. Enjoy your ad-free Android phone.
So here are the instructions. This assumes you know how to edit the conf/froyo.user.conf file. For illustration purpose, I assume your Android files (zImage, rootfs.img, system.ext2, startup.txt, etc) are located in the "andboot" directory on your SD card (if not, adjust the instructions below accordingly):
  1. Download the attachment (hosts.zip) and extract it. The extracted file is "hosts"; copy it to your "andboot" directory on your SD card.
  2. Edit the froyo.conf.user file located in your andboot/conf directory and add the following line to the custom_shells section at the end:
    Quote:
    mount --bind /sdcard/andboot/hosts /system/etc/hosts
  3. Save froyo.conf.user
  4. That's it! When you boot into Android, the ads should be blocked.

NOTE: I don't know of any bad side effects as I just started testing for a couple hours. I hope this prevents wasted data communication bandwidth used to download unwanted ads.

EDIT: I have tested this on the FRX04 and Tiad8's BLAZN builds.
Hope you enjoy this "early" easter egg.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hosts.zip (121.5 KB, 32 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by ndno; 02-24-2011 at 04:49 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: Block Ads in Android Apps

Say goodbye to free apps...
Old 02-24-2011, 04:18 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Say goodbye to free apps...
Hmmm... you're right. That's how Google makes their money.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndno View Post
Hmmm... you're right. That's how Google makes their money.
Yea as much as I hate the ads, that's how they're able to provide so many free apps... As I understand it, the Apple Store doesn't have nearly as much free stuff... I don't want to see that happen to the Market.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff

There's a lot easier way. If you want to block ads, you can just download AdFree, which does the same thing with the hosts file for you.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post
There's a lot easier way. If you want to block ads, you can just download AdFree, which does the same thing with the hosts file for you.
I guess I'm a moron. Didn't know such an app existed. It'll be an irony if there's ads showing up in AdFree. I'm surprised Google allowed that app on its Market. Thanks for the heads up.

I was searching how to replace the phone dialer in the FRX04 build last night and came across the "hosts" hack but I guess I never researched a little more.

EDIT: that hosts file is HUGE! I guess the negative effect of this (besides Google taking away free apps) is that IP stack has to go through that huge list every time there's a DNS request, which means more processing time or slower connection time.

Last edited by ndno; 02-24-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:43 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: mogal/tp1/tp2...

slipdoozy is becoming a great contributor

Hi guys just trying the ad removing script. i currently have this...

.....allow allocation)
}

# custom shell commands, these commands run last
custom_shells{
chmod 777 /etc/dbus.conf
#echo "Hello!!!" # example
rm -f /sdcard/*.rec
modprobe ipv6
}
question is where do i imput this line of code below oh yeah im not using andboot so i took out the andboot folder and using this instead if thats ok?

"mount --bind /sdcard/hosts /system/etc/hosts" i know remove the quotes right? help very new to this. i do not have any problems running andriod right now. even OC'd to 787 no problems at that speed. except battery life SUCKS... Thank you for your help guys.

Last edited by slipdoozy; 02-27-2011 at 12:46 AM. Reason: added extra info
Old 02-27-2011, 05:45 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipdoozy View Post
Hi guys just trying the ad removing script. i currently have this...

.....allow allocation)
}

# custom shell commands, these commands run last
custom_shells{
chmod 777 /etc/dbus.conf
#echo "Hello!!!" # example
rm -f /sdcard/*.rec
modprobe ipv6
}
question is where do i imput this line of code below oh yeah im not using andboot so i took out the andboot folder and using this instead if thats ok?

"mount --bind /sdcard/hosts /system/etc/hosts" i know remove the quotes right? help very new to this. i do not have any problems running andriod right now. even OC'd to 787 no problems at that speed. except battery life SUCKS... Thank you for your help guys.
Just download AdFree from the Market; it's a lot easier.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache 6700, HTC Touch (Vogue), HTC TouchPro2

bilson is keeping up the good workbilson is keeping up the good work

AdFree works great. It pays to check the most popular & can't live without app threads.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:23 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: mogal/tp1/tp2...

slipdoozy is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndno View Post
Just download AdFree from the Market; it's a lot easier.
i know it would be easier but im thinking i dont really need another app running and taking up cycles and memory. just a thought for my own "sh*ts and giggles". thank you for the responce. ill just guess where the line goes.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2