PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Rhodium 500W
Carrier: Verizon

ajh16 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation FAQ - Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2

UPDATE: I have moved a copy of this FAQ to the PPCGeeks wiki under http://wiki.ppcgeeks.com/index.php?t...m_Android_Port. Please check this page for future updates as it may be updated by people other than myself, though I will try to keep the information here current as well unless wiki usage takes off.

Too try and help deal with the overwhelming number of repeat questions for the CDMA TouchPro 2 Android development thread, I am posting a number of common questions and answers.

Please limit posts in this thread to additional questions you have seen commonly asked and the quick, relevant answers to these questions. Please DO NOT ask additional questions here that you do not have an answer to as they may not belong in an FAQ.

1) Can the development benefit from using files for Android for phones other than the TouchPro 2?

1a) No, while the core of Android (the Kernel and UI) are the same from one device to another, there actual hardware and circuits that run the devices are not the same. (Even the CDMA TouchPro 2 and GSM TouchPro 2 have significant hardware differences.) The main point of this project is to work on implementing the customizations to Android that are neccessary to allow it to run on this particular phone and the code for most of that can't be found on other phones in the neccessary format.

2) Feature X isn't working on my version, but the latest release says that it should be. What's wrong?

2a) Most likely the problem is that you have outdated files on your phone. There is a data file created when you run Android that stores your settings and configuration that is not part of the releases. If you do not get rid of this file, certain changes are not picked up when you get the newest version and it may cause features to break. If at first you don't succeed, be sure you have completely removed previous versions from your device before installing the latest version.

3) My version is outdated, where can I get the latest version?

3a) Check the sticky thread under Touch Pro2 and Android Development titled "Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2". The first or second post will have the instructions for the latest release as well as the date it was last updated so you can tell if you are current.

4) When will the next release be out? I can't wait to get more features on my phone!

4a) The next release will be out when the developers are able to get it ready. They are contributing their time for free and can't work on it full time. If you want to help speed development, make a donation to one of the main developers to help encourage them, don't pester them by asking a million times when the next release will be out when they won't know until it is ready.

5) I did a complete reinstall of Android and some feature still isn't working on my phone.

5a) Please check the forums thouroughly before posting to make sure that the issue hasn't already been discussed. There are other common mistakes that have been well documented. If you can't find an answer, consider making a new thread about your issue with a clear title that can be answered and be easily visible to others with similar issues.

6) I get various error messages scrolling by after running Haret. (GSM Phone Found for example) Is something wrong?

6a) Most likely not. This scroll of text is general information about the Linux OS booting on your phone and the hardware getting started up. If you are having other problems in Android related to features that are supposed to be working, then an error here might be meaningful, but most likely, errors simply refer to parts of the device that have not been worked on yet or may simply have not been cleaned out of the code yet.

Last edited by ajh16; 03-16-2010 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Added Wiki Link
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2
Carrier: Sprint

johnpro112 is keeping up the good workjohnpro112 is keeping up the good work
Re: FAQ - Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2

Hey bro nice thread This hopefully may help people with android.

A commono question?

why does while loading Haret says "gsm phone found"
Old 03-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus
Carrier: Sprint

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: FAQ - Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2

Technically you have a GSM radio on the device... however we are choosing not to use it presently. It also could just be the title for the radio hardware, since much of this build is based on the GSM version (they didn't rewrite the entire package for CDMA, rather take the GSM version and build upon it).

Those are just status messages and not every line necessarily means anything to us with our setup. Unless you notice the phone acting strange / doing something strange, better to just ignore anything that goes on during those verbose lines.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Tags
android 2.1, cdma, touchpro 2