PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 10:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

pekoe1111 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Who Uses GPS with GoogleMaps or Windows Live?

I have an HTC Mogul and am interested in a low-cost GPS solution. I am looking at the Holux M-1000, M-1200 and GPSlim 240, but want to know what my mapping/softeware options are without spending another $150 on a program like TomTom.

I understand Google and Windows Live have mapping software, and I currently have GoogleMaps on my PPC. Can anyone who uses these, or any other freeware share what the experience is like?

GoogleMaps' site says it has these features:

You Are Here (I know where I am, so this is no big deal) Where's the nearest... cup of coffee, late night pizza or last-minute bouquet? (OK - maybe this is useful)

Is there traffic up ahead? See it so you can avoid it. (I live in Vermont - there is NO traffic!)

How do I get there from where I am? Type your destination and away you go. (Not very detailed here, is it? So let's say your GPS/GMaps automatically tells you where you are. You type in where you want to go and get directions.

On a system like TomTom, I am assuming you are looking at a map that shows where you are, and says "Turn right in 100 ft. on Main Street" and shows a right-hand arrow. Once you have done this, the screen would say "Drive 6 miles" or something like that.

So, my question is, does Google do this? Does it in any way tell you what you need to do next based on you location and the directions to where you are going? Or does it just display your location as a point on a map, and it is up to you to figure out what and when to do? If so, is anyone using this and finding it useful, or a half-assed navigation solution?

Thanks,

BB
Old 09-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

drurc8 is becoming a great contributor
So far, I like Iguidance 4.0 and it works very good on Mogul. You can get this software from ebay for less than $ 100.00
Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Google Maps will plot a route for you, but it won't offer turn by turn directions (verbal or on-screen). It will give you a written route to follow though. I've used TomTom, and it is really good. It is expensive though, and it will eat up around 1.2 gb's on your storage card. I use navigation software so rarely that I actually took TomTom off my phone to save space on my storage card (I'm currently only running a 2gb card - so that is a lot of space to take up). I'd say that if you really aren't good with directions, and you don't want to look at a map ahead of time, then true navigation software like TomTom or iGuidance would best suit your needs. If you just need a point in the right direction, Google Maps/Windows Live are both great free programs.

Last edited by bedoig; 09-20-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

pekoe1111 is a n00b
Google Navigator: Too Good to Be True?

Do you need an external GPS receiver for this software? Anyone know about it? It is at www.pdafun.net

BB
Old 09-20-2007, 01:27 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep
That's interesting. Looks like an external company made an add-in for google maps that makes it act like a navigator. Looks cool, Google probably isn't happy about it though.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedoig View Post
That's interesting. Looks like an external company made an add-in for google maps that makes it act like a navigator. Looks cool, Google probably isn't happy about it though.
Google made mgmaps.com pull their Google Maps support, so it's just a matter of time before they get the same letter.

To the OP: Windows Live takes longer to launch and is a bit finiky with GPS but when it works, it works very well. Turn by turn is excellent, though there is no alert.

Gmaps is fast, but no full screen and no turn by turn.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

pekoe1111 is a n00b
Map4PDA?

Anyone use Map4PDA?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

pekoe1111 is a n00b
Microsoft Streets and Trips

Anyone use Microsoft Streets and Trips?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Eris
Carrier: Verizon

badfrog is a n00b
google maps will keep your location centered on the map while you are driving if you have a GPS, but it doesn't update your directions as you hit each new turning point, you have to still manually skip to the next point.

I have been using live search, and it seems pretty solid and easy to use.
I'm not one that generally needs turn by turn directions, I'm smart enough to read a map and remember basic directions, so hav enever been overly worried about that function. I use the directions occasionally when I am going someplace new just to get the basics on getting there..

I have been using tracky pro for GPS software, shows you were you are, speed, etc... records the route you took... great for driving, hiking, boating, etc...
http://www.trackthisout.com
Old 09-27-2007, 12:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamonte
Carrier: eSprint

deanwoof is just getting started
i'm having windows live issues. .. everytime i try to put punch in my address for my starting point or whatever, i cant seem to put anything in other than numbers and symbols.

i've uninstalled it and then redownloaded it from wls.live.com (i think). still nothing.

any clues to what's going on? i'm running ppc 6800 on sprint.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software